News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How Much Would You Pay For A '73 Charger SE?

Started by sinisterneo24, May 31, 2007, 11:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinisterneo24

Right now I'm the current owner of a 1973 Dodge Charger SE.  I a newbie to the mopar thing and am still learning everything and anything.  Currently, I thinking of selling it for another '73 in better condition simply because I havn't the time or tools to fix it up myself and am unable to find a good mechanic in Savannah, GA.  Anyways, can anyone give me a good starting price for the car....

Here's all I really know about the car so far.  It has a new Holley carburetor, distributor cap and cables, the original 318 engine and transmission.  The body is in pretty good shape with minor rust (a few bubbly spots here and there, trunk lid is partly eaten through, etc.).  The exhaust is a mess and must be replaced.  The car does run and continues to run well yet I havn't driven it in months do to a flat tire and the fact I have no insurance on it  :P.  Other then that the car seems pretty solid overall.

Someone please help me get a price on this thing or make me an offer if you'd like.  Also, if any more information is needed or pictures just let me know.  If someone is really serious about purchasing the car I could make a video of the car and place it on youtube.com.

Charger1973

Honestly no one could give you a good price without seeing pics.  In my opinion, if you want a good car to start with...  it sounds like you have a keeper already.  They almost always have some amount of rust, what you describe doesnt sound bad at all.  Its in running condition too, which is a plus.  At least you know what you have to start with.  Alot of the project cars out there are missing alot of parts.  You could buy a nicer one for more money and im not trying to talk you out of it, but just saying you might want to reconsider what you already have.  Complete running cars are getting harder to find in nice shape and prices keep going up too...

sinisterneo24

Thanks for the advice.  If I were to keep it could you reference me to any other sites for great parts deals and other know-how?

Charger1973

http://1971-1974dodgecharger.com   petes new 3rd gen site, its fun and theres some good info over there
http://moparts.com   this sites huge and a mess.  prices are sky high on most parts too but i hear you can find the occasional deal, i never have...
http://ebay.com   love it or hate it, but you'll more than likely need it. 

You should take some pics of that car you have and post them up.  You will get more opinions that way. 

Where are you located?

sinisterneo24

I'm located in savannah, ga.  I've tried to post pictures but the files I'm told are too big to post.
Is there any other way?

Charger1973

You can email them to me i'll resize and post them if you want.   charger1973@hotmail.com

BMOTOXSTAR

Just open thie pics on your PC. The choose edit & stretch scew, you can re-size in paint. Maybe I am re-sizing pic's the long way,  :scratchchin:
that is how I re-size them to post.
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

sinisterneo24

Here are some pictures...

Charger1973

That doesnt look like a bad starting point to me.  Heres the car I started with... 

andy74

looks good to me,better than mine did 5 years ago when i started-but if you really want to sell,id guess 2500,being a small block and a 73/74,maybe more where i live,but not in the south where rust is a dirty word!

sinisterneo24

Wow! That charger looks just like mine!

Quick question to anyone listening.  If I were to keep this car what exhaust system would you recommend?  Right now I'm looking at a set of Flowmaster 40 series mufflers for $80 a piece and having a guy bend some pipes for me.  Another question is what size should I go for ( 2.25, 2.5, 3.0)?  Lastly are headers worth it at this point in restoration and if so what brand is best?

Thanks for your comments everyone.

Charger1973

I prefer Magnaflow mufflers myself.  Im not an expert so I dont know what to tell you for pipe size, I havent done mine yet either.  I have heard nothing but bad things about headers on 73s. 

Charger74

With a stock/mild small block, I wouldn't recommend anything over 2.5", Magna flows will probably be better in the end.  Flowmasters are nice, but more for racing than daily use.  They are loud and can get annoying after awhile.

As for headers, they are a pita in 73's.  But I had Hooker super comps on mine with a 440 so not sure about SBs.  Bad thing is they capture the starter, so I would highly recommend a mini starter on it before going to headers.  If you are serious about it, research the headers,  TTI maybe expensive but will probably fit the best in these cars.  Until you can afford something decent, you may want to just have your guy make the pipes from the manifolds back, you can always cut later for headers.......

willille

That car looks pretty good to me. I wish my 73 charger had that good of a paint job

41husk

my 73 was much worse than that when I started.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

sinisterneo24

So it seems everyones agreeing Magnaflows are the way to go? Sounds good but I would like to double check on this.  All I really want is a nice deep throaty crackly sound without too much resonance.  I'm looking for a muffler that sounds good on the outside but not cop attracting and something so if I want to listen to a radio or talk to a passenger I (without screaming) I can...

Any ideas? Maganflow still good or possibly another brand?

Charger1973

In my experience magnaflows are what you are looking for.  They are quiet at idle and on the highway but roar with a nice deep throaty sound when you get on it.   I had them on my 96 Trans Am.  My friend had the same car but with Flowmasters and it sounded like crap, it was always loud and obnoxious, didnt even sound good when he got on it. 

sinisterneo24

They sounded good on a trans am but would they sound much different on my 73 charger?  I'm probably going to still purchase them but the sound is real important to me ya know...

Also, would you recommend the aluminized or stainless steel, oval or round body?