News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Flames!! from my carb - 68 RT / 440

Started by Dads68RT, June 03, 2007, 10:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dads68RT

New head gaskets, and exhaust from the headers back. Now flames shoot up when I turn the ignition. I'm a complete novice (brake job and belts) I have a large 4-barrel Holley carb on a 440 engine. I need someone willing to walk me through tuning the carb (realizing I know no lingo).
This car brought me home from the hospital in 1970. I don't want to screw it up.

Thanks,

aRT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN_mWpwemUI

Big Lebowski

Back off the distributer while cranking 'till it starts.
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

Dads68RT

Thanks for the reply. How do I back off the distributor? Remember - complete novice.

jg68

Quote from: Dads68RT on June 03, 2007, 11:11:40 PM
Thanks for the reply. How do I back off the distributor? Remember - complete novice.

The timing might be too slow (retarded), turn the distributor clockwise some & see if that helps, useally on those BBs if the timing is slow, it'll shoot a big fire ball out the carb, you also may have ruptured the PV in the carb, but get the timing figured out first, have a timing light hooked up when doing this :icon_smile_wink:

aifilaw

To adjust timing, loosen the hold-down bolt holding the small 90-degree metal bracket which holds the distributer to the engine block enough so the dist. is moveable.... about 1mm of movement is probably 3 degree's or more, so small adjustments are necessary. Turn it clockwise about 2-3mm, tighten it down, and fire it up again. Then do a search in the forums to find out what typical timing will be at for that engine. I'll take a guess at around 36-40 degree's of total timing max, get it so it starts, and is running, then with the dist. loosened run it up to 3-4k RPM's and twist (slowly) the distributer until the timing light reads that. This will get you in the ballpark.

It's also important to mention that if the harmonic dampener is off, your timing indication will be wrong.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

Dads68RT

Thanks for the help fellas. This might be taboo to ask in this forum, but how much should I pay to have this done for me by someone who's done it before? I'd rather watch and learn. I might try rotating the distributor, but, I'd like help dialing everything else in. I think I'll stick to bodywork and interiors. I admire your knowhow. Someday I'll get there. I'm gonna give it a shot though (if it ever stops raining).

Hey, I'm moving to Charlotte NC at the end of the month. I'm storing the car in York, SC - if any of you guys are in the area and have the time to help me get this thing running. I'll see what I have for $ after the move. Steak and beer is a definite.

Thanks,

AAH

June 4, 1944 - Happy B-day Daad!

terrible one

You shouldn't expect to pay much at all. Guys around here will adjust the timing for a few bucks. No big deal. And you could really tackle it yourself. Don't underestimate yourself man!

BTW,

Awesome video on YouTube, and good luck on the restoration!

six-tee-nine

Maybe dumb from me but are you sure you're ignition seguence is fully correct?
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Dads68RT

Turned the distributor a few degrees clockwise and still got flames. When I poured gas straight into the carb it ran for a bit until the gas burned up - no flames. Harmonic damper? Ruptured PV? Ignition sequence? I'm not sure? What price range would you give me for a shade tree mechanic to come by with a timing gun?

Silver R/T

great documentary on youtube, good luck with the charger
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

jg68

Quote from: Dads68RT on June 06, 2007, 10:15:44 PM
Turned the distributor a few degrees clockwise and still got flames. When I poured gas straight into the carb it ran for a bit until the gas burned up - no flames. Harmonic damper? Ruptured PV? Ignition sequence? I'm not sure? What price range would you give me for a shade tree mechanic to come by with a timing gun?

Has it been sitting up for any length of time? from what you discribed by this post, i'll change my responce from a timing issue to a fuel issue, your most likely getting a lean spit back, more then likely you've ruptured the PV with that older holley, so plan on a new PV when problem is fixed & a fresh set of plugs, you also may have contaminated fuel or a weak fuel pump, clogged lines, pick-up, filter-ect, sounds like a job for a mechanic, if i was close, i'd help you out no prob ;)

hutch

my car had sat in a field for 15 years before I bought it.  When we first tried to start it up, It would flame up a few times till we got it running on its own with no ether and had the timing right.
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

MR.MIKE

CROSSED IGNITION WIRES
OR A BAD CAM CAN ALSO BE THE CAUSE
BUT DO THE SMALL THINGS FIRST SUCH AS TIMING
STRUNZI76@VERIZON.NET

Dads68RT

Thanks! For all of the advice. I'm gonna pass it on to a REAL mechanic - when I find one. Right now I'm focused on moving from Maine to Charlotte, NC in 2 weeks. If you guys see a blue 68 RT on a car carrier June 22-23  -  that's me! Hopefully, I'll be able to find some help in the land of NASCAR.

Dads68RT

1986 at the drag strip. Think he went 12.2 that day - stayed on the side window for a while.