News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68-440-4speed

Started by speedfreak68, June 03, 2007, 11:18:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

speedfreak68

Hey guys my 68 charger came with a 318 and an automatic tranny.  The first spot where i was going to get my 440 fell through...but i was able to get my hands on another.  The only thing is that it is coming out of a truck. My question is will the 4 speed it is coming with work for the car? The other thing is that my crossmember is pretty much shot.(where the torsion bars bolt) would this be stupid to try to rebulild or should i just try to get a new one (if i should get a new one where should i look?) because I will have to modify it for the 4 speed anyway.  oh ya i won't have to worry about cutting a hole in the floor boards cuz they arn't there anyway... :icon_smile_big:
thanks

70charger_boy

was it a 4 wheel drive truck?

oldkimmer

Truck 4 gear applications use different parts, and are different...........kim.......
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

speedfreak68

Problem solved!!!  They brought me the engine and tranny today.  I talked to him and he told me that it originally came out of a 69 charger.  (the pickup that it was in was just a little toy) So my next question is what is it going to talke to get it into my charger that has a 318 and an auto.

Chatt69chgr

Drive shaft will be different length.  Yours probably uses 7260 yokes.  Probably need to change to 7290 yokes as a minimum.  You probably already have a 8-3/4 rear.  Probably have highway gears.  May want to change them to something like 3.55.  Not mandatory but you many want a clutch type suregrip.  If you have a suregrip now, it will be that type.  Radiator will be different.  You will need bigger torsion bars and will also want to change out the rear springs to the HD ones.  Entire exhaust system.  Starter relay different.  Floor hump, clutch pedal and different brake pedal, Z-bar and all the associated linkage.  Don't know what brakes you have but you will want discs on the front.  Many say power booster not necessary but you will need a disc master.  Big block engine mounts.  I assume the engine you are getting has the original charger fan and fan clutch on it.  If not, the fan off the 318 is the right size for a 4-speed car.  Can't use the fan clutch off the 318 though.  Air cleaner.  Transmission Crossmember is different for 4-speed and auto.  Brewer Performance has these.  Under hood wiring kit for a big block.  Probably will want to upgrade to electronic ignition and solid state voltage regulator.  I'am sure I've missed something.  Others will add to the list.  As you can see, it's not a simple thing to do.   

speedfreak68

Ok so i talked to an old guy here in town and he asked me about the tranny.  I think i may have been screwed on the tranny.  My question is did the car 4 speeds have the linkages for shifting on the side or did the shifter come into the top of the tranny.  He wasn't sure about mopars but he said fords did. 
thanks

idahogrumpy

1969 passenger car 4 speeds had the linkage on the side. The shifter mounted to the transmission via a aluminum adapter plate and a 3 bolt flange cast into the tail shaft.
Later model 1/2 ton 2wd  pu's used a 4 speed od that will also fit your Charger with a little more effort. I do not think that the factory ever put them behind 440's though.    Grumpy
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY
Modified 73 440 Charger, 03 Intrepid SXT, 02 Neon and 2001 Ram 1500 .

speedfreak68

but with some modification it will work right...?  will the throws be really long or will that be ok?

idahogrumpy

The throws in the truck od transmission will be the same as the stock Mopar 4 speed of that era. Much of the throw will be based upon which shifter and linkage you end up with. There is a transmission to bell housing issue where as the transmission input bearing support is larger than the stock passenger car transmission. This would require some sort of modification that has been covered here in the past. Grumpy
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY
Modified 73 440 Charger, 03 Intrepid SXT, 02 Neon and 2001 Ram 1500 .

speedfreak68

will it shift as fast as the car 4 speeds?  I really have no idea what I got into... :brickwall:. The engine and tranny are already together  someone must have already done that somewhere along the way.

Charger-Bodie

you should post pics and the #s from the tranny we could prob help more.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

speedfreak68

well i was trying to post the pics but it said that they were too (over 200KB) how do i fix that?  where would the numbers be on the tranny?
-Martin