News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking for someone to transport my Charger any takers?

Started by Back N Black, June 01, 2007, 05:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Back N Black

Not sure if this is the right section. I need to move my 69 Charger rolling shell, fresh out of the paint shop from Petawawa Ontario to New Brunswick (Canada). I'm in the military and recently got the news that I'm transfered 1200 km east,lots of fun. Looking for someone with an enclosed trailer. i got until July 16 to get it there. If your intrested or know of anyone that would be intrested shoot me a e-mail and we can discuss price and timings.
I have called every moving company in the phone book and on line ,no one will touch it because it has no brakes and no steering,go figure.

Magnumcharger

Quote from: Back N Black on June 01, 2007, 05:51:12 PM
Not sure if this is the right section. I need to move my 69 Charger rolling shell, fresh out of the paint shop from Petawawa Ontario to New Brunswick (Canada). I'm in the military and recently got the news that I'm transfered 1200 km east,lots of fun. Looking for someone with a enclosed trailer. i got until July 16 to get it there. If your intrested or knows anyone that would be intrested shoot me a e-mail and we can discuss price and timings.
I have called every moving company in the phone book and on line ,no one will touch it because it has no brakes and no steering,go figure.

Sounds familiar....
I work for the same company...the CF. And I was posted to Edmonton from Gagetown in 2004. I needed to ship my '68 Charger R/T and had the same problem.
I ended up buying an open car trailer from a guy on Base, with my posting allowance.
I'm driving said trailer back to Gagetown in the beginning of August, with my son's Neon on back. Unfortunately, no help for you.
I still have my house in the Fredericton area, with a big 3 car garage...sucks to be in Cold Lake, let me tell ya!
Good luck on your posting. Maybe I'll see ya down there!

(PS:There's a fairly good outdoor car show not too far from city hall in downtown Fredericton on thursday nights).
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Back N Black

So, you hoping to get posted back to Gagetown? what trade are ya? I'm a vehicle tech.

Magnumcharger

Well, I'd LIKE to get posted back to Gagetown!
But I remustered to NDT tech from AVN, and there aren't any NDT positions at 403 Squadron, so I'm SOL.
My wife is posted to Halifax IR in August, so I'm hoping to get posted to Shearwater next spring.
I've got 4.5 years to get my 20 (did 7 yrs, out 8, back in 9), so I'll suffer it out for a bit, then I'm back to my house!

My brother was a vehicle tech, in Calgary. He's out now.
Here's a shot of my move, with my Charger in tow...
And meself, for reference.

firefighter3931

hmmm....no steering, no brakes....No Problem  :icon_smile_big: Just moved my 68 in the same condition with this (see pics)  :2thumbs:

The truck is a 3500 cummins dually and tows the 26ft enclosed like it's barely there. I just picked up the trailer and towed it home 800 miles. Man i like this trailer....the 68 is gonna LUV it  :bow:

The trailer also gas a 4500lb winch and it hauled my 70 RT inside with No Problems. The car is full weight but wouldn't run (damn 6-pack carbs  :rant:) so a rolling shell would be a cakewalk !  :icon_smile_cool:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Back N Black

Magnumcharger

Quote from: firefighter3931 on June 02, 2007, 03:13:20 PM
hmmm....no steering, no brakes....No Problem  :icon_smile_big: Just moved my 68 in the same condition with this (see pics)  :2thumbs:

The truck is a 3500 cummins dually and tows the 26ft enclosed like it's barely there. I just picked up the trailer and towed it home 800 miles. Man i like this trailer....the 68 is gonna LUV it  :bow:

The trailer also gas a 4500lb winch and it hauled my 70 RT inside with No Problems. The car is full weight but wouldn't run (damn 6-pack carbs  :rant:) so a rolling shell would be a cakewalk !  :icon_smile_cool:
Ron

Ron, when I grow up...I want to be you!! :icon_smile_cool:

firefighter3931

Quote from: Back N Black on June 02, 2007, 09:26:27 PM
So Ron you up for a road trip? :icon_smile_big:

That's a distinct possibility !  :icon_smile_big: I'm on Vacation the first 2 weeks of july....going to the Carlisle show (6th-8th) but might be able to squeeze a roadtrip in....before or after.  :icon_smile_cool:

Send me your phone number and we'll talk.  :callme:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

firefighter3931

Quote from: Magnumcharger on June 02, 2007, 10:29:18 PM

Ron, when I grow up...I want to be you!! :icon_smile_cool:

I refuse to grow up....and you can't either !  :devil:

Good luck on your move back East  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

Steve P.

Hey BNB,, The big trucking companies won't even think about hauling your car due to them having to transfer your car from trailer to trailer. Many people don't know this or even think about it until they are stuck looking, but,,, the way the big companies make big money is by sending trucks and trailers in straight lines. They have normal routs and drop off/ pick up points or terminals.
In a nut shell this means that your car would be picked up at (A) by one driver/trailer and taken to a terminal. There may be a one day wait or up to a month depending on what is heading your way.. Then your car would be loaded onto another trailer and taken to (B)-terminal. That may or may not be close to where you are headed. If not it could sit there for more time.. This continues until the day comes when you FINALLY get to see your car AGAIN. i HAVE HEARD OF CARS BEING LOADED UP TO 5 TIMES BEFORE FINAL DESTINATION. (Damn caps lock)..  :flame:

OK, so now you had better be there with your camera to take pictures of any and all damage they caused. And you better take a damn good look at your frame rails. The big companies tend to use "T" LOCKS. These are part of the chains used to hold your car to the trailer. They also tend to pull them so tight that they can pull right through your frame rail.. I have seen this first hand and I'm sure others here have as well.  I do not/will not use then on anything..

You are WAY TOO far away for me to help out, but I can tell you that the going rate around here for what you have is anywhere from $1.00 - $1.75 per mile depending on price of gas and territory. The mountains in the winter will kill ya. Texas sucks. California is max. 52 MPH with a trailer. 55 is the limit, but the cops will mess with you if you are not in heavy traffic..

Of course I am talking about door to door, no terminal stops, service. Using straps not chains, and I use an open hauler.   A closed trailer may be a bunch more. They are driving one huge wall down the road so you have more fuel being eaten and more fatigue.

What Ron has will do the job without question and I know he's in Canada. I just have no idea if he is close to you on either end...

Good luck bro,  :cheers:

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

jasonfromIKILLYA

I'm looking into the same type right now.  My charger is in Indianapolis, but it doesn't run.  I've stripped it down so all that's left in is the drivetrain.  Looks like about $1200-$1500 for an enclosed trailer and $600+ for an open one.  I'm getting quoted $600 for a budget truck with a trailer, but after I fly out to get it, it's all about the same.  Don't know if I want to let someone else muscle it around though......  hmmm.....
"Great souls have always received violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Einstein

Charger1973

If worst comes to worse you can always buy a trailer.  If you are in the military you are bound to get moved again, and you will be in the same situation. 

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Charger1973 on June 06, 2007, 12:10:41 AM
If worst comes to worse you can always buy a trailer.  If you are in the military you are bound to get moved again, and you will be in the same situation. 

:iagree: Yea so buying a trailer and doing it yourself might be the best bet
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

jasonfromIKILLYA

what I NEED is to find someone in NY who needs to get a 71 Challenger RT moved to the midwest.   :D

at this point, it's looking like I'm going to fly out and rent a truck/trailer to drive it back myself......
"Great souls have always received violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Einstein

Lurker

what about using a hotshotter? we have piles of guys out west with 3/4 tons and flat decks and trailers that will haul anything, its an oilpatch thing mostly not sure if there are any out east but in alberta they are fairly common.
1968 xp29 charger thats now rust free.. and trunk free and floorboard and quarterpanel free.
1972 b5/b5 318 barracuda patently waiting its turn.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2663667

Steve P.

Again, you get what you pay for..

I have a buddy that tows an open trailer that was made for heavy equipment. He changed the axles and does NOT have breaks at all.. Putting a car on it puts it's  center of gravity at about 40 inches off the ground. He pulls this bug heavy trailer all over the country behind a Isuzu Rodeo. It has a 4 cylinder/5-speed and over sized tires. He does move some high dollar cars with this set up.. The last was a clone 71' Chally with a hemi. His wheel base is a very short 5 - 6 feet and it has over 200K miles on it with just the factory brake set up..

One day he will have a car on it heading down hill and have to hit the brakes. I can see the trailer passing the mini SUV now...

BUT HE PULLS WITH IT.....

Again, you get what you pay for......
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida