News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is this 68 Charger worth in your opinion?

Started by runninhorn, June 01, 2007, 06:11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

runninhorn

TeeWJay426

A quick look at all the pics, and I see quite a lot of detail issues..... depending on how fussy you are for originality, my guess is 25K max.
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: TeeWJay426 on June 01, 2007, 07:23:25 AM
A quick look at all the pics, and I see quite a lot of detail issues..... depending on how fussy you are for originality, my guess is 25K max.

:iagree: UNLESS its like 100% rust free orig. metal and very nice other than the obvious problems ie detail stuff, painted latches ,ect id say it already about high enuf
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

OldGuy

The build sheet and fender tag are not clear enough to determine how the car was originally configured.  If it was originally a 383 cid, 4-speed, AFB 4-bbl, then the price should be in the high $30,000, if not low $40,000 due to its rarity - only 259 made in that configuration.
"I can tell by your sarcastic undertones, rude comments and total lack of common decency, that you and I could be best friends".

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: OldGuy on June 01, 2007, 09:18:01 AM
The build sheet and fender tag are not clear enough to determine how the car was originally configured.  If it was originally a 383 cid, 4-speed, AFB 4-bbl, then the price should be in the high $30,000, if not low $40,000 due to its rarity - only 256 made in that configuration.

the condition of the car is also important. not to mention rare doesnt always equal huge value.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

OldGuy

Posted by: 1hot68 
Insert Quote
Quote from: OldGuy on Today at 09:18:01 AM
The build sheet and fender tag are not clear enough to determine how the car was originally configured.  If it was originally a 383 cid, 4-speed, AFB 4-bbl, then the price should be in the high $30,000, if not low $40,000 due to its rarity - only 259 made in that configuration.

the condition of the car is also important. not to mention rare doesnt always equal huge value.

1hot68
I agree - condition is an important factor.  #'s matching also plays into the equation.  However, note the NADA blue book values on the car which considers condition.

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=1-22-1-5013-0-0-0&l=1&w=22&p=1&f=5014&y=1968&m=1052&d=2446&c=7&o=11019~11020&vi=69471&z=84043&da=1

"I can tell by your sarcastic undertones, rude comments and total lack of common decency, that you and I could be best friends".

Charger-Bodie

thats why im saying its gotta be a good example to be worth much more than what its at...its been my experiance that when a car has things done somewhat sloppy like painting latches , plugs ect that there is more ugly waiting under the surface.

supserdave

I agree, 25k max....

Whats up with the seats? Don't the seat covers look really loose?

69charger2002

the bumblebee stripe sure looks "laid back" on that car. first thing i noticed anyway
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

OldGuy

So, does anyone know what it sold for - if it was sold locally?

runninhorn

it is still for sale, i talked to him tonight. he wants $32k. I offered $22k cash.

8WHEELER

For a ''correct'' restoration, I could tell you over 50 things not correct about that car,
and that is not even seeing the body work up close. I just have to say, if he is that happy
with that interior work, I would be worried about many other things not as easy to fix.

At least with the interior, you can take the seats out, take the seat covers off, and put
new seat foam in the front and rear seats. And if you have to pay somebody to do the
work................ that would be very expensive.

If you are looking for an all original correctly done car, there will be a ton of work to be done,
painting the engine the correct color in the car is a major pain. But if you are willing to
do all the work, 25k is not a bad price if the fender tag and broadcast sheet back up
what he says the car is, if I was spending that much money, you can bet I would check
it out in person, or a good friend with knowledge with these cars, I have done that
before  ;D

Once most of the problems are rectified, I would say its worth at least 30k, R6 RED
is not a 68 color, if he has that right either.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Blakcharger440

If that car is worth 30-50K then what is a 68-70 Charger RT worth? I always thought those prices were 440 RT territory. A comparable condition Charger RT must be going from 50-75k????

OldGuy

Blakcharger440

Quote from: OldGuy on June 02, 2007, 03:48:49 PM
NADA blue book on a 1968 Charger R/T, 440, 4-speed:

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=1-22-1-5013-0-0-0&l=1&w=22&p=1&f=5014&y=1968&m=1052&d=2450&c=7&o=11020~11021&vi=69473&z=84043&da=-1

Well I thought the Charger RT 440 should be higher because of its performance package that would place it much
more valuable than the 383 car.

nakita7

The stripe is wrong, it's not worth anything... :icon_smile_cool:

tecmopar

If you look closely at the fender tag and the surrounding area it looks really rough, like they painted over the rust that is there. It could be a good indication of how the rest of the "Restoration" was done. I would have to go over that car very closely before going any further, good luck.

hemi-hampton

I agree with the fender tag area, Since they painted over body plugs & rubber bummper/stoppers & Latches kinda looks like a Quickie Resto, The kind you crank out to try to make money. LEON.

kevink

Has anyone ever seen the car in person? He is about 4 hours from me and I was thinking about going to take a look. How can you tell if the 68 motor in numbers matching? The 68 does not have the VIN stamped like the 69-70 right? I talked with him on the phone and decoded most of the VIN. Is 4-speed and A/C together rare for 1968?

Rocky

Quote from: kevink on June 05, 2007, 12:49:04 AM
Has anyone ever seen the car in person? He is about 4 hours from me and I was thinking about going to take a look. How can you tell if the 68 motor in numbers matching? The 68 does not have the VIN stamped like the 69-70 right? I talked with him on the phone and decoded most of the VIN. Is 4-speed and A/C together rare for 1968?

I think you're right.  Depending on the build date you can only verify that the date codes on the block and tranny are within the norm.  That's not to say that there arn't any problems with that process.  There are threads full of this.  If they look origional, and are close to average build dates, then there is not much else you can do.  As far as a 383 4spd with A/C goes, both my 68 318 auto cars have A/C.  Is it rare? probably, but the records for that era are very shoddy at best.

kevink

The man is stuck at $32,000 and will not move.

runninhorn

472 R/T SE

4 gear and A/C, hmmmm?  There's no reverse light on the dash either, another hmmmm?

Ghoste

The fender tag does look to be coded for a four speed though.  Extremely hard to read but that is what it looks like to me.  :shruggy:

69CoronetRT

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on June 12, 2007, 07:15:59 PM
4 gear and A/C, hmmmm?  There's no reverse light on the dash either, another hmmmm?

Didn't the reverse lights appear with the change over to the Hurst shifters? The VIN looks like it would be early enough to have the Inland....
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

472 R/T SE

You would know.  :shruggy:  It was always my understanding they all got them.  I had never heard about the changeover, learn something everyday.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

pete

Looks like a nice car.  Just a few things that I noticed.... Hope they help!

1.  Paint over a lot of the components like headlight vacuum lines, deck lid light wires, brake lines @ MC, etc...
2.  Steering wheel is cracked and is separating.
3.  Seat covers are not tight (as mentioned above)
4.  Doesn't look like the stock radiator....and no shroud
5.  No cover over the tail lights in the trunk (69 had one for sure, not too sure about 68 though)
6.  Stripe positioning...YIPES!

Looks like there are a lot of original parts though and you have the broadcast sheet which is REALLY NICE!  Wish I had mine.

Good Luck!

The70RT

I don't think i would buy any high dollar car on eBay unless i seen it first. I kinda wonder why no undercarrage pics. If they replaced the floors & trunk I kinda would like to see the work :shruggy:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us