News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

my 512ci build and some questions

Started by Lurker, May 31, 2007, 05:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikesbbody

Thanks! she's awesome! the trucks very nice too  :2thumbs:

kamkuda

Looks like a very nice build.  The dog looks pretty impressed too.  I hope you kept some money aside for all the rubber you will be burning up  :2thumbs:

Lurker

i got on my machinests case when i dropped the block off and said i wanted it sonic checked and he whined and said "but then i have to have somebody come to the shop and do it" and i said "well i am not wasting anytime on this block untill i know what i am working with" so he says, ok. and being as fast as he is 6 months later he calls me and asks "where did you get this block?" apperantly it is atleast 3/8ths all the way around and he is used to working on chevys so he was slightly amazed lol.

then 2 months later i phone him and ask "hey remember me? ummm sooo did you get anything done yet?" and to my surprize he just finished rough boring it so i had to go visit and have a look. i spent roughly 45 minutes in the shop and had a conversation with 2 other mopar guys and left thinking to myself "thank god for the internet" and "thank god for 440source". both of the other guys were building stroked 400's and were looking at this BBC with a 14-71 on a stand in the corner and talking about how much cheaper chebys are to build and talking about how much there cranks were worth and scott (my machinist) points at me and says "he's building a 512" so we talked and they asked what i paid for my crank.. i thought they were gonna cry when they found out how much money a few hours on DC.com saved me lol
1968 xp29 charger thats now rust free.. and trunk free and floorboard and quarterpanel free.
1972 b5/b5 318 barracuda patently waiting its turn.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2663667

firefighter3931

Quote from: Lurker on December 27, 2007, 01:56:44 AM
he calls me and asks "where did you get this block?" apperantly it is atleast 3/8ths all the way around and he is used to working on chevys so he was slightly amazed lol.

So much for the late casting "thinwall" myth....your's sounds like a keeper  :2thumbs:

Quote from: Lurker on December 27, 2007, 01:56:44 AM
both of the other guys were building stroked 400's and were looking at this BBC with a 14-71 on a stand in the corner and talking about how much cheaper chebys are to build and talking about how much there cranks were worth and scott (my machinist) points at me and says "he's building a 512" so we talked and they asked what i paid for my crank.. i thought they were gonna cry when they found out how much money a few hours on DC.com saved me lol

It pays to do your homework !   :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Blown68Coronet

Lurker;
IRT your crank, did it come in a Pro-Comp box or 440source?
Did your machinist have to do a lot of work to it?
I need a new crank for mine and was interested in them as well.

Lurker

Quote from: Blown68Coronet on December 28, 2007, 09:01:01 AM
Lurker;
IRT your crank, did it come in a Pro-Comp box or 440source?
Did your machinist have to do a lot of work to it?
I need a new crank for mine and was interested in them as well.

the crank came in an unmarked box with 440source packing tape,

my machinist has't gotten to the crank yet but he was really impressed with it when he first seen it ,i told him  make sure he checks the balancing and oil clearances etc but i doubt we will have to do anything seriuos to it. i wouldn't have any problems buying from them again i have only ever heard of there being one problem with there cranks that required chamfering the bearing but by the looks of the crank and bearings i got they have addressed the problem since then.

1968 xp29 charger thats now rust free.. and trunk free and floorboard and quarterpanel free.

Challenger340

"at least .375" all the way around"

Say what ?

Only wimps wear Bowties !

Lurker

Quote from: Challenger340 on December 28, 2007, 12:27:29 PM
"at least .375" all the way around"

Say what ?

he said they checked it, every cylinder in several different places and it was atleast 3/8ths everywhere thay checked. i highly doubt he documented anything but i don't see why he would lie about it.  :shruggy:

Challenger340

I guess if he says it's so.  :shruggy:

I don't think anybodies intention is to lie.

I've tested some GOOD Blocks too, that were very EVEN !

No THIN spots !

I've even quoted, what would have been, "innaccurate numbers" on them  !

only to later find out, my "pill" on my machine was "fubared". It would calibrate OK, but my numbers spoken were "off" dramatically !
Me BAD !
Shit happens !

No matter, even my "fubared" tester "pill", it would still "find" the "THINSPOT", which is really what you're looking for, on a Major Thrust side in a Cylinder.

Is this a stock production 440 Block ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !