News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

my 512ci build and some questions

Started by Lurker, May 31, 2007, 05:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lurker

I ordered my rotating assembly today from 440 source, it's a 512 kit with 17cc dish because I want to run 75cc indy EZ's with normal port's

I am undecided what I want to run for a cam I would like to stay with a hydro flat tappet but could be talked into a solid I was thinking of a k-60 , any recommendations?

This engine will be going in my 68 charger and driven on the street and prolly won't be abused to much.. so I am not sure if I should invest in a block girdle, I know it won't hurt but will I need it or will it be overkill? Can you run a windage tray with one or do you need a tray when running a girdle?

If I do run a girdle how much of a pain is it to go with external oil pick up?

Holley street dom? Or will I have room for a tall single plane with the indy EZ's?

I haven't ordered my heads as of yet I am still trying to decide whether I would benefit from the MW size port heads or if it will be overkill

Engine details:
74 440 block, .030 over
4.25/7.100 kit from 440 source
Indy EZ (not sure what port size to go with)added: had a look at firefighters flow #'s in the porting thread, going with standard port EZ's :coolgleamA:
Cam?
Intake?

Tranny, I will build a beefy 727 with around 2500-2800 stall

Going in street driven 68 charger that will receive 3.55 gears

:icon_smile_big:
1968 xp29 charger thats now rust free.. and trunk free and floorboard and quarterpanel free.
1972 b5/b5 318 barracuda patently waiting its turn.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2663667

BLAM

Lurker

First off I would search this forum with key words like "stroker" or "512" and "girdle".  Lots of excellent posts on the subject!

I am in the process of planning a similar motor.  4.25" long rod stroker with a 4spd and a 3.54 Dana rear.  I went with the basic EZ heads worked by Dwayne Porter.  The EZ heads will give you room to grow if you ever want to go faster and "faster" is addictive!  MW ports are a waste in my opinion if you are running a stock flat hood because the intake manifold will become the "cork" for the system.  Basic EZ heads can be opened up to MW ports fairly easily if you decide to grow later.

The girdle option is dependent upon your horse power plans.  Lots of opinions on this subject but stock main caps are good for up to 550hp.  Aluminum main caps for up to 650hp.  Aluminum main caps and girdle for >650hp race car!

If you go stock hood Holly Street Dominator is the ticket for your intake manifold.

I haven't picked a cam yet.  I will look for professional cam advice after know all my parts.

Andy
RLTW - "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell

firefighter3931

The 4.25/2.2 rod combo will clear an internal pickup fine....no need for an external line unless you want to spend $500 when you don't really have to.  :P

The SD will work fine with a std port window and provide descent hood cleanace. You will need a drop base air cleaner assembly but it will work. The ez's are 1/2in taller than an OEM head, fwiw.  :yesnod:

Aluminum main caps will help protect the main saddles of the block...i would use them as a minimum with any 600+hp build along with studs. The girdle is a nice option but not really required for a mostly street build, inmo.

A good cam for this combo would be something along the lines of a Comp XS290S extreme energy solid flat tappet profile. This grind will be pretty mild in a 512 yet make excellent power and be easy to tune. Crane ductile iron rocker arms for strength and durability.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: firefighter3931 on June 02, 2007, 10:39:00 AM
The 4.25/2.2 rod combo will clear an internal pickup fine....no need for an external line unless you want to spend $500 when you don't really have to.  :P
Ron

I know the 528ci kit will hit the pickup tube...      :D     the 512 is the biggest that will clear i believe
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Lurker

I ordered my heads (indy EZ, standard ports) and a street dom intake, decided to go with the xs290s cam and ordered a miloden pan and windage tray and an aluminum water pump from mancini's.

Gonna order some main caps once I do a bit more research

Quick question: do I need to do any work to my block for solid lifters? Not sure if solid lifters fork up the oil system or not, I have never run a solid before.

Kinda looking forward to trying out a solid cam, I am cursed when it comes to hydro lifters, the last 4 smallblocks I built I bought a total of 72 lifters before I got enough that work.. and I need 1 more as of last week..  I figure even if I have to pull covers and adjust valves every 2 months it will be less work than fishing out collapsed lifters twice a year lol

Nother question: do all adjustable rockers require cupped pushrods or just the cranes? I have been looking at pushrods and all I see them listed as are hydraulic and hydraulic/solid with adjustable rockers I am a solid cam virgin, I am assuming that they are. I am not going to bother with them till I have the engine mocked up but just curious.
:icon_smile_cool:
1968 xp29 charger thats now rust free.. and trunk free and floorboard and quarterpanel free.

firefighter3931

No special work for solid lifters required. I would look at the EDM lifters that have a .020 pressure feed hole...this will apply direct lube to the cam lobes and is a big improvement over the conventional "splash" lubrication.  :yesnod:

The Crane ductile iron rockers will be fine....those use a cup pushrod end at the adjuster and are near indestructible.  :icon_smile_big:

The Xs290s will be a killer cam for a street 512ci build....nice choice !

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Lurker

k i searched for EDm's and have come up dry lol, who makes them?

anyone have any experiance with proform carbs? i have only run eddy's

can anyone measure the distance between there rad support and front of 440 on there second gen for me so i can figure out what rad/fan etc i am gonna use, my block is currently sitting 85 miles from the rad support  :rofl:

chryco, have you got a canadian supplier for cometic?

still waiting on parts to come in and haven't decided on carb or ignition but i got the majority of it lined up and on the road.. waiting sucks

firefighter3931

Howards Cams sells the EDM lifters :

http://www.howardscams.com/about_us.htm

I have a proform on my 446....awesome carb....just like a holley HP series race carb.  :icon_smile_big: For yours i would be looking at the proform 950 DP.  ;)

Ron

Challenger340

Also,

I think Crower sells a .904" lifter under part # 66945X980-16 for EDM with .024 Hole. (phone first for application verification.)

Crower will also EDM your existing set to above, W/hole, if you wish to ship them.

XS290S Comp.   :2thumbs:

Only wimps wear Bowties !

Lurker

got the call today my heads and cam and intake etc are on the north side of the border and should be waiting for me when i get home from work next week.

does anyone know the intake closing point on the xs290s cam.. i never saved it when i found it the first time and comps site has nothing, i am trying to get a dynamic from  http://kb-silvolite.com/calc.php?action=comp  just out of curiosity.

my 440 source rotating assembly was waiting inline for balance i was told because the 7.1 rods were back ordered last month and they got behind but they should be coming shortly. its gonna be so much easier heating and scraping 40 year ols undercoating off wheni can glance over my shoulder and see a 512ci stroker sitting in the corner of my shop with no home  :lol:

Lurker

the mopar gods have smiled on me and blessed me with gifts of aluminum  :smilielol:

first pic is the inspector checking things out and the second is the windage tray and the pan... wtf? is the pan wrong or is the tray wrong.. prolly no way to tell till the mailman brings me my rotating assembly and i mock things up, i never even thought about the pan VS stroker crank, i ordered a 4.25 stroke tray... the waiting continues

OttawaCharger

It appears that 'the inspector' approves   :icon_smile_big:
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

firefighter3931

Nice parts  :drool5:.....fresh aluminum allways looks impressive !

Have the heads looked over at a reputable machine shop....the guides need to be checked for fit/clearance and the valvejob might need some correcting. This is standerd procedure for any aftermarket head.  ;)

The windage tray does seem to be poorly matched to the oil pan. Try flipping it around to see if it fits better the other way. In your pic it looks like the front (of the tray) is at the back of the pan and the oil pan boltholes aren't lining up with each other. If these parts are from the same manufacturer then they should fit well together.  :yesnod:

Ron

Lurker

the pan is a mancini pan the tray is a miloden, it sits the same either way you put it. there is no provision for a dipstick or oil pick up in the tray so i would imagine it was meant to be "trimmed" and once i have things mocked up i should be able to tell if i can trim the tray to fit or if the pan is going to contact the 4.25 crank

BLAM

Not knowing the part number that pan is the one made by "Charlies".  I believe Charlies built it for the MOPAR Action Bad Bee project and Mancini contracted Charlies to build it for the Mancini line.
RLTW - "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell

Lurker

got crank?

got my goodies from 440source, looks like nice stuff, and the inspector approves after thoroughly checking things out.

i still need carb, oilpump, valvecovers and damper, does anyone know if ATI dampers are the same thickness as a fluidamper? just wondering for when i order pulleys.

Lurker

just because i like posting pics... and yes i will get my shop sided.. when i get done this project or the next one lol and one of the few pictures i could take without the inspector ( she won't set foot in the shop, to many noisy machines in there )

peek a boo

Mick70RR

1970 Road Runner, 505 cid, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears
11.98 @ 117 on street treads

mally69

:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:
HEY TELL US HOW THE STROKER IS DOING ITS KILLING US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :nana:

70charger_boy

mally69

70charger_boy

wow, My screen looks like a u2 music video

mally69

I think i need a new mouse after that one. :lol:

mikesbbody

Lurker

hi guys,

the block is in the machince shop still, the guy is sloooow lol, i got all the rest of my parts for the build a few weeks ago and mancini forgot to ship me my rocker shafts.. and i got so busy at work i haven't called them about it. i am hoping the shortblock will be done and back home shortly.

the car progress has slowed a bit lately, its getting colder here and i switched jobs and have been doing 18-20 hour days the last few weeks which is good because my bank account took a hit recently lol (i went shopping)

shot of some of the new parts.. and the inspector lol and a shot of my new truck(s) i bought

mikesbbody

Thanks! she's awesome! the trucks very nice too  :2thumbs:

kamkuda

Looks like a very nice build.  The dog looks pretty impressed too.  I hope you kept some money aside for all the rubber you will be burning up  :2thumbs:

Lurker

i got on my machinests case when i dropped the block off and said i wanted it sonic checked and he whined and said "but then i have to have somebody come to the shop and do it" and i said "well i am not wasting anytime on this block untill i know what i am working with" so he says, ok. and being as fast as he is 6 months later he calls me and asks "where did you get this block?" apperantly it is atleast 3/8ths all the way around and he is used to working on chevys so he was slightly amazed lol.

then 2 months later i phone him and ask "hey remember me? ummm sooo did you get anything done yet?" and to my surprize he just finished rough boring it so i had to go visit and have a look. i spent roughly 45 minutes in the shop and had a conversation with 2 other mopar guys and left thinking to myself "thank god for the internet" and "thank god for 440source". both of the other guys were building stroked 400's and were looking at this BBC with a 14-71 on a stand in the corner and talking about how much cheaper chebys are to build and talking about how much there cranks were worth and scott (my machinist) points at me and says "he's building a 512" so we talked and they asked what i paid for my crank.. i thought they were gonna cry when they found out how much money a few hours on DC.com saved me lol

firefighter3931

Quote from: Lurker on December 27, 2007, 01:56:44 AM
he calls me and asks "where did you get this block?" apperantly it is atleast 3/8ths all the way around and he is used to working on chevys so he was slightly amazed lol.

So much for the late casting "thinwall" myth....your's sounds like a keeper  :2thumbs:

Quote from: Lurker on December 27, 2007, 01:56:44 AM
both of the other guys were building stroked 400's and were looking at this BBC with a 14-71 on a stand in the corner and talking about how much cheaper chebys are to build and talking about how much there cranks were worth and scott (my machinist) points at me and says "he's building a 512" so we talked and they asked what i paid for my crank.. i thought they were gonna cry when they found out how much money a few hours on DC.com saved me lol

It pays to do your homework !   :icon_smile_big:

Ron

Blown68Coronet

Lurker;
IRT your crank, did it come in a Pro-Comp box or 440source?
Did your machinist have to do a lot of work to it?
I need a new crank for mine and was interested in them as well.

Lurker

Quote from: Blown68Coronet on December 28, 2007, 09:01:01 AM
Lurker;
IRT your crank, did it come in a Pro-Comp box or 440source?
Did your machinist have to do a lot of work to it?
I need a new crank for mine and was interested in them as well.

the crank came in an unmarked box with 440source packing tape,

my machinist has't gotten to the crank yet but he was really impressed with it when he first seen it ,i told him  make sure he checks the balancing and oil clearances etc but i doubt we will have to do anything seriuos to it. i wouldn't have any problems buying from them again i have only ever heard of there being one problem with there cranks that required chamfering the bearing but by the looks of the crank and bearings i got they have addressed the problem since then.

Challenger340

"at least .375" all the way around"

Say what ?

Lurker

Quote from: Challenger340 on December 28, 2007, 12:27:29 PM
"at least .375" all the way around"

Say what ?

he said they checked it, every cylinder in several different places and it was atleast 3/8ths everywhere thay checked. i highly doubt he documented anything but i don't see why he would lie about it.  :shruggy:

Challenger340

I guess if he says it's so.  :shruggy:

I don't think anybodies intention is to lie.

I've tested some GOOD Blocks too, that were very EVEN !

No THIN spots !

I've even quoted, what would have been, "innaccurate numbers" on them  !

only to later find out, my "pill" on my machine was "fubared". It would calibrate OK, but my numbers spoken were "off" dramatically !
Me BAD !
Shit happens !

No matter, even my "fubared" tester "pill", it would still "find" the "THINSPOT", which is really what you're looking for, on a Major Thrust side in a Cylinder.

Is this a stock production 440 Block ?