News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Just bought a 73 charger SE need some advice part2

Started by AmadeusCharger500, May 31, 2007, 08:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

This is drivetrain question.
So I bought this thing basically knowing it was gonna be trouble, has a junk title and not inspected since 98. I didn't know how much till I drove it home today (illegally) and looked at the oil guage.
Never reached above 1/4 up the guage which is what like 20lbs, very bad right?
Plus the car has no power revved alot without much motion, Like the engine was working overtime to do the job of a lawnmower.
So am I looking at tranny problems and engine or just engine?
What is the best diagnostic or is there more than one?
Compression test?

Charger74

Start with the basics, change oil, filters, spark plugs, points, etc.  on the engine.  Do a compression check while doing spark plugs.  Then start on the tranny.  Drain fluid, put new filter in and fill it up.  That may give u a good starting point.  Sure others will chime in soon.

jasonfromIKILLYA

I'm no expert, but if it didn't rev up and then catch, it's probably not the tranny.
"Great souls have always received violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Einstein

dukeboy_318

Bad oil pump? Stuck carb? Fuel pump going out?  Its definetly motor related,  However, i agree that you should check the basics first.
Quote from: Charger74 on June 01, 2007, 08:16:34 AM
Start with the basics, change oil, filters, spark plugs, points, etc. on the engine. Do a compression check while doing spark plugs. Then start on the tranny. Drain fluid, put new filter in and fill it up. That may give u a good starting point. Sure others will chime in soon.
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

74Charger

If it has not been registered since 98'.  The gas is probably from 98' also.  I would drain the gas and put fresh gas in.
74' Charger
03' 2500 4x4 CTD

beedees

Quote from: 74Charger on June 01, 2007, 11:26:57 AM
If it has not been registered since 98'.  The gas is probably from 98' also.  I would drain the gas and put fresh gas in.
Gasp!!!!!! Don't do THAT! Think of how cheap that gas was. :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

pettyfan43

Charger 74 has the right ideas, basics FIRST!

Try checking the transmission fluid, could be low, could be burnt, but if the engine revs fine, IT AIN'T THE ENGINE! But be careful if the car has been sitting a long time, change the oil, get good gas in it and take it easy for a while. Check the tranny fluid if it looks bad, buya  filter kit and new fluid and change it. Then you will have a better understanding of WHAT you have.

Hope this helps.

AmadeusCharger500

All excellent suggestions. Thank you.

I will try all these things.

It looks like an old carb (thermoquad?). Some of the vacuum ports are not connected to anything and left open. I will try cleaning it and plugging the loose ends.

I am gonna go get t a pic just to ask what carb it is.