News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Decided to pull the engine tomorrow. What's a good hydraulic cam for a 383?

Started by Corellian Corvette, May 28, 2007, 12:40:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corellian Corvette

Well, I decided this weekend that I'm going to pull the engine in my Charger tomorrow.

Everything else has been off the car - driveshaft is getting R&R'd, manfolds and exhaust are off, new gears for the rear-diff, there are no fenders or hood so I figure there is no better time to pull the engine, clean it, and freshen it up - since it needs a new oil pan and fuel pump anyway all the more reason to do it off the car.

I'm going to perform a leakdown test as well and get a good guage on the condition of valves, etc. but since I'm definately pulling the timing cover and water pump cover I'm going to put a roller-cam in.

Any suggestions on a good cam for my 383 4bbl? I don't want anything really extreme, I want good idle quality and good vacuum. The roller is more for longevity than anything else, but I would like something to wake the engine up a bit.

Summit has for grinds available

Dur. 292 Int./300 Exh - 2800 - 6400 RPM

Dur. 286 Int./ 294 Exh 2500 - 6200 RPM

Dur. 274 Int./ 282 Exh 1800 - 5800 RPM

Dur. 280 Int./ 288 Exh - 2200 - 6000 RPM

Thoughts?

Chryco Psycho

if you want a mild cam with good idle & vacuum I would suggest you stay small with the 1800 -5800 RPM grind & use a 2200 stall converter , it really depeneds on the rest of the parts being used as welll such as heads intake carb , exhaust etc , make sure you use a set of valve springs matched to the cam & a good quaility double roller timing chain