News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

engine troubles

Started by saltmine19, April 29, 2007, 09:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltmine19

alrighty.. i am think maybe the oil pump...
but u was driving it yesterday.. and the engine started chuggin.. then the car died..
waited like 20 mins... got her back goin.. it runin a lil ruff..
ok then today i started it up sounded good.. so i took it for a scoot.. then i am drivvin an i am think it was the rocker arms.. started ticking like crazy.. then i looked at the oil pressure.. and there was none.. \
so i am not too sure on what it maybe .. anyone??

thanks steve

67_Dodge_Charger

Pull the valve covers and look for a bent or loose push rods?  Then look for oil build up in the rocker arm area.  Sounds like the oil pump pickup is plugged and is not cycling oil. 

Hopefully you did not spin a bearing or damage the cam.

good luck

Robert

Chryco Psycho

the bypass in the pump could be stuck open

Bob

Mine did the exact same thing 2 months ago. Changed the pump and installed a good mopar filter. Cured mine.
Bob

saltmine19

alrighty well i changed the oill pump..and puther all back together..still no oil pressure..so i tookoff thevalve covers and i had a bent push rod.. but then turne over the engine  and it is justgetting alittle bit of oil up there..... not sure what else to check..and the camlooked to be fine.. just lack of oil pressure... any suggestons

Chryco Psycho

hook a mechanical guage to the engine & get a pressure reading , the rockers do not get a lot of oil to them

68chargerboy

use a crc engine flush kit because the pickup might be gumed up

saltmine19

alrighty the oil pump is good to go.. then i changed the push rod.. and i figured i would be good to go... then i was cranking it over and it fired up for a sec then we noticed the same rod was bent once agian.. and suggestion what may have caused this.. and the value is the intake valve... what would be my best alterative just take off the heads and take them in some wheer

67_Dodge_Charger

Sounds like the valve is sticking or might be bent.  Anyway it does not sound good.

Robert

firefighter3931

Quote from: 67_Dodge_Charger on May 27, 2007, 07:27:54 PM
Sounds like the valve is sticking or might be bent.  Anyway it does not sound good.

Robert

I agree....try pushong down on the rocker arm and see if the valve moves up and down.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

saltmine19

i moved the valve up and down and it seemed to me good.. it looks like i will prolly have to take offf the heads