News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 shift points

Started by Paul G, May 27, 2007, 07:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul G

I have been messing with the carb linkage and kickdown linkage trying to get the trans to up shift sooner and still be able kickdown to first at full throttle. What I have right now, from a dead stop, using light throttle, is second gear coming in at 10mph, around 2000 rpm, third comes in immediately after second. Third comes in so quick it feels like a single shift. If I take off from a dead stop more aggressively you can feel second and third shift separately at a higher speed and a little higher rpm. Cruising at 30 mph it will kick all the way down to first. Thats a blast let me tell ya! The 440 can really scream!

My concern is damaging the trans by not holding second gear longer. The engine pulls smoothly through that light throttle, 2/3 shift. It feels pretty good actually. Is it okay to leave this way or should I adjust till I get second to stay in longer before third pulls in?
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

firefighter3931

Paul, it sounds like you need to adjust the kickdown based on your description of what's happening. I usually adjust the KD so that when the throttle is wide open there is a small amount of play in the KD linkage....basicly when it's wide open (throttle) the KD should be close to fully bottomed out. Hope that makes sense  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs