News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How close is your clutch fan to your radiator in a 68-70 Charger?

Started by Blakcharger440, March 25, 2007, 12:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blakcharger440

Hey, I am running a aluminum radiator in a 70 Charger RT with a 440 and I am wanting to run a 7 blade clutch fan
in it. The clutch face seems to be about 1/4 inch or closer from the radiator core when installed. Is this too close?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Originally when I put the MP Viscous fan package in the car, the clutch was about the same distance you describe (barely get the belt on there)

I installed a shorter clutch (from a 73 400 with the max cool option I believe) now I can get my thumb inbetween sideways....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

If it matters, my solid fan is about the same proximity as yours.  Ive always wondered why it was that close.  Probably designed that way to pull more heat away from the rad. :shruggy:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Blakcharger440

Yep, I figured it needed to be close to the radiator core to be effective....but I didnt know how close.  ???
The engine is a 440 if it matters.

GreenMachine

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on March 25, 2007, 05:30:38 PM
Originally when I put the MP Viscous fan package in the car, the clutch was about the same distance you describe (barely get the belt on there)

I installed a shorter clutch (from a 73 400 with the max cool option I believe) now I can get my thumb inbetween sideways....

I had that setup too, it was very close. I would not recommend it unless you have solid mounts. I was cresting a hill at a fairly high rate of speed and the engine rose up a bit and the fan ate my radiator.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Blakcharger440

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on April 02, 2007, 04:02:23 PM
Heres a pic I just took of mine

Awesome! I just saw this today. I really appreciate you taking that pic! I am going to completely install the clutch fan
over the weekend and measure again to see how much room I have.