News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Silver Paint

Started by 71mopar383, May 26, 2007, 09:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71mopar383

Im thinking of painting my 71 silver but Im wanting to do the trunk, jams, under the hood area myself.  Ive done everything else myself I just want to try paint.
1. Is silver hard to paint?
2. What kind of paint should I use so I can get enough for the whole car?
3. Any advice
:cheers: :cheers:

Charger-Bodie

silver would be one of the more difficult colors to spray but it would be easier for a novice if you used base /clear so that you can fog the metalics without needing to worry about retaining gloss.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

71mopar383

Well since Ive never painted anything unless it came out of a rattle can Im not sure.  I can answer this I will be keeping the car.  Whaich is the better way to go single or base clear? :brickwall:

Charger-Bodie

if i were you id go with base clear , the reson i said silver is one of the more difficult colors is because with metalic colors you want the metallics even , otherwise you end up with motteling which is dark stripes from the paint being to heavy , and with base coat you can fog them out to get it even for a beginer then clear it and have it look great . i personally use sikken auto base plus which is more expensive to buy but the coverage is better than most others so you use less product so it kinda evens out ,all the brands out there are ok but if you plan on keeping the car (and even if youre not imo) id use the best products you can because the end result will be better and it will last longer .
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

RogerDodger

If you want to learn to paint the jambs and trunk area is a good place to do so. If you know who you will get to paint the car you might check with him if it matters what kind of paint you use.

71mopar383

Any special gun I need for the metallic.  Do I use two guns 1 for primer 1 for paint?   :hah:

71mopar383

So let me get the order right in my confussed brain...Ill sand or blast down to metal.  Spray on epoxy primer, do any body repairs ect, prime again? sand, base coat 3-4 times then clear 3-4 times......Am I close???? :pity:

dads_69

Yes, but you want to lay down a seal coat before applying your base coat, whatever color you spray car, silver for instance, I would use DP50LF which is a gray color. Makes it easier for when you apply same color base on car.
When you primer your car, put at least 3 coats on it, block it down w/180 or 220 grit wet or dry, then re-prime 2 coats for good meassure. Block it down w/320 wet or dry then seal it before painting.
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

moparguy01

The only thing I do different than Mark is that alot of times the final wetsanding before paint i use 500 grit. Also you can use a tintable sealer, and tint it with your color, and it will bring out the color of your paint alittle more. but for a silver color gray will be just fine. just dont forget to put a good sealer down between primer and color though, or else you can have bleed through.

71mopar383

What is a good media to use if I blast the areas down 1st? :pity:

moparguy01

you have to be more careful to keep it a about 6" from the surface of the metal, but I use black sand, you just have to keep moving or you'll heat it up too much and warp the panel. you could also just silica sand, which is less abrasiva and leaves the finish on the metal alittle more smooth. both work, just KEEP MOVING when your blasting and i really dont like to get the nozzle closer than 6" to the surface. also, when you find the lead, dont try to sandblast that out, if you have to remove it do yourself a favor and use a torch to remove the lead. and dont let the bare metal sit long, get it in epoxy shortly thereafter.

hemi-hampton

I think Silver is the worst color for a newbie or beginer. For me & I've been painting for 25 years I hate spraying light metallics compared to solid colors even though I have no problem with zebra strips or mottling or blotching but these could be problems for a beginer, especially if using a single stage acrylic enamel. Best to use a base/clear if metallic. Dupont uses a Color Shade sealer, different colors for different paints but it's always some sort of gray, Sikkens Colorbuild uses different colors. LEON.

71mopar383

What solid colors are easier to paint maybe I might change my mind :RantExplode:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 71mopar383 on May 28, 2007, 03:40:19 PM
What solid colors are easier to paint maybe I might change my mind :RantExplode:

i think it varies from person to person but my favorite color to spray is red.

71mopar383

I had heard red was harder to shoot than black ???

Charger-Bodie

imo white is the hardest and black is easy red easiest!

hemi-hampton

Reds the most exspensive but I think Black is the Easiest, With white you get snowblind & can't see what your doing. LEON.

71mopar383

So if I go with red is it better to stay with base/clear or single stage?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 71mopar383 on May 30, 2007, 05:07:58 PM
So if I go with red is it better to stay with base/clear or single stage?

with red you could really go either way.

71mopar383

What about a med to dark blue like Viper blue or is it the metallic that makes it difficult for the newbie? :pity:

71mopar383

Charger-Bodie

easier to spray than silver but i would recommend base/clear on any metalic for a novice.

70charger_boy

Dupli-color has a new spray on acrylic lacquer that is suppose to be easy to spray, no matter what the color, cost 19 bucks a quart
http://www.duplicolor.com/TV/mov/trucks_paintshop.wmv

71mopar383

Has anyone here tried this? :cheers:

mikepmcs

ok, here's  a good white idea for you and it can't get messed up.    spray the ground coat silver.  let it set then get a spray bottle of water and try to get the big drops on it when you spray.   then take the white and coat it with that.  once it's all dry..wipe it off and bamo!  coolest paint job in town.

v/r
M
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

69fourspd

One thing I would add with the metallic - Once you spray the metallic base, do not sand it.  If you sand metallic you will get light and dark spots.  Just mist the metallic on very dry, and lay down clear over this.  You can then wet sand the clear for a great finish.  Either way if you go with metallic (single or double stage), you will mess up the metallic sanding it out.  Go with base/clear.