News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

heater core ?

Started by Rolling_Thunder, May 26, 2007, 08:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolling_Thunder

anyone know where I can get a heater core for my Charger ?   It is a factory A/C car - i think that makes a difference...     
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Charger1973

I thought you could still get them from the local auto parts store?   :shruggy:

Rolling_Thunder

oh ok - i havent asked around yet - just wanted to know if they are available from local places...        :D

Chatt69chgr

The heater core in a non-ac car is widely available from about any parts store.  It's a single core type.  The heater core used in factory ac cars is not----it's a dual core type.  I think that Vintage Auto Air had it for a while.  I don't think they have it anymore.  You could call them and see.  It is, however, available from Classic Auto Air out of Florida.   They used to charge something like $224 or so.  I have no idea what they cost now.  You can see a picture of it on their website.  I am speaking of 2nd gen Chargers.  I don't know what fits first and third gen.   I have never found any other places that have had this piece.

Ghoste

As a sidenote, the heaterbox for the 1st gen is the same as the 2nd with the same problems as noted above.

Rolling_Thunder

damn...     $225 ?  they only charge $600 to rebuild your whole damn box...      well shit...       im trying to think what keeps a guy from just fixing the core himself...      brazen, TIG ?   pressure test and put it back in...   

kab69440

I've never seen one that had a leak that needed fixed. More often than not, they are rotten beyond salvation. I took mine to the local rad shop to see if the proprietor could just put a newer pair of cores into the frame. He wouldn't touch the thing.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

rt green

classic auto air sells one for around 225.00. on ebay
third string oil changer

dd44068

I replaced mine like 3 years ago it cost me close to nothing for a non a/c car but was not fun putting it in :brickwall: espesially if its your first.

Todd Wilson

Those old dual core units are made of brass. They last forever but when they give out they are done. The size of those cores compared to the aluminum ones are different so finding replacement cores is very hard to do. If an old radiator shop doesnt have some core stock laying around you are screwed.  One outfit on the internet was offering repair using a refrigeration core that was similair in size. It was a little bigger but it would work. My link no longer works.

My only thought on replacing one cheaply is to find a dual core unit from a C-body of the late 60's as they used a dual core setup as well but it was positioned different. A guy on ebay had tons of them for sale one time. Brand new units. You could get one of these and take the new cores out of it and redo your Charger core.

Finding the little valve thats on the core is impossible to find also and it will wear out and leak too.

If its a heater only car you can pick up a core at about any parts store around.

Todd

Chatt69chgr

I just remembered the name of the place I got mine.  It was Old Air Products in Ft. Worth, TX.  It doesn't show up on their website but they might still have some.  They had it for $182.  Probably need to call them.  I recall that the first time I got on their website I found the heater core.  Next time, it was gone but I called them and they still had it.  Said website was being updated.  It looks the same as the last time where nothing comes up under the Mopar category.  I ordered mine and got it pretty quick but that was over a year ago.