News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Broke my 440

Started by 440mag, May 26, 2007, 09:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

440mag

Drove my car 300 mile to a car show and had to tow it home.  To make a long story short the car ran great all the way there until I was going to go for a cruise and it startind popping under load, found a bad vacuum leak on the intake. Replaced the valley pan and still would not run smooth, cleaned the Nettle and seats, checked the float levels and all was good but still would not run smooth.  Started changing spark plugs and the looks good until I got to #5.  All the porcelain was gone from the inside and the electrode was bent against the side.  The electrode drug on the threads all the way out.  I bore scoped the cylinder and the top of the piston and the pottom of the head got hammered.  Can't tell yet but the piston looks like it is cracked and part of the ring land is gone.  It has zero compression on #5.  Came lobes, lifts, pushrods and rockers look good.

I never heard this thing come apart.  I wounder what failed first the spark plug or the piston.  Time to build a new engine.
440mag

RD

that sux!  sorry to hear that.  cant wait to see what you plan on for the next build :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Chryco Psycho

running lean is the fastest way to kill an engine you can melt a piston down in seconds running lean on nitrous
Sorry about the bad luck

firefighter3931

Quote from: 440mag on May 26, 2007, 09:02:34 AM

I wounder what failed first the spark plug or the piston.  Time to build a new engine.

As Chryco mentioned going lean (vacuum leak) can cause all kinds of problems. The spark plug will fail first followed by the piston carnage.  :P

Sleeve the cylinder and get a new piston and you'll be back in business   :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

CB

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 26, 2007, 12:52:37 PM
running lean is the fastest way to kill an engine you can melt a piston down in seconds running lean on nitrous
Sorry about the bad luck

does this also count for unleaded gas?
Sorry to hear about your bad luck!
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

440mag

I'm not sure the order things happened end but I believe the vacuum leak was caused by loosing the cylinder and was a result of the popping.

The engine was dyno tuned and had a good air to fuel ratio. (12.75 - 13.00 from 4500 RPM  - 6200 RMP)

I run 92 octane gas through Edelbrock Performer RPM 84cc heads, 10.5:1 CR, Keith Black Silvo-O-Lite flat top pistons.

The valves and valve train look good.  Still need to pull it all apart, took the pictures with a bore scope.

I plan to build a stroker engine.  Going to talk to 440 source and start planing the build.  Not sure hoe big I will go yet.
440mag

Runner

oh no,  let the kb piston bashing begin.     my sister in law bought a javlin with a 360 that always made a odd ticking sound. it turned out to be a bent piston skirt from something going through the motor. i had the head fixed, replaced the one piston, and its still running fine to this day.    man id love to hav e a bore scope!!

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

440mag

It would be premature to do any KB blasting with the engine not tore down yet.  This set up had about 10,000 miles on it.  I got a good deal on the un-run assembled short block.  Before finishing assembly we pulled the pistons a found the top rings too tight.  Filed the top rings and it had run good with no problems.
440mag

Runner

i wasnt bashing kbs, i run them in my 452.   it has been my observation that most people on this sight bash them thats all.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Chryco Psycho

I won`t bash KBs this time , the piston could have totally failed & taken the block with it , it didn`t happen ....good news