News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

tumbwheel radio

Started by Jesco, May 22, 2007, 08:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesco

Hi,
Anyone, will this radio work/fit in a 69 charger (rally dash)?

# looks to be 2884631
1964 Dodge 330 Super Stock Clon
1969 Dodge Charger R/T

Charger-Bodie

looks to be the right radio to me aside from saying chrysler instead of dodge.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Chatt69chgr

It appears to be correct.  You can change out the dial plate.  You see non working radios on ebay all the time pretty cheap that you could get the correct dial plate off of.  The hard part is getting the two hex screws out in the lower die casting.  Regular sockets don't want to fit in the hole.  I finally did get mine out but took a while.  Thought I was going to have to grind the outside of the socket off.  There is a thread on here about a guy in Huntsville, AL that fixes these.  He could change out your plate if you included that with the radio. 

Jesco

What about this? Is more correct for my car? Is it complete... Sorry I am amateur on this...
1969 Dodge Charger R/T

Charger-Bodie

id use that last one! but first id test them both you may want to make one of the two.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

Chatt69chgr

I agree that the last one appears to be the best.  It also has a power transistor mounted on the upper left side.  I think the one without is 2 watt audio and the other is 4 watt---not that it probably makes any real difference----you can't get much of anything on AM anyway----you want it for looks just like I did.  Make absolutely sure you use an 8-ohm speaker.  Thats what these radios want-----4 ohms will work but will cause the output transistor to heat up.  And don't short the speaker wires or you will pop the output transistor.  Do a search on the site and you will find the name and address of a place you can order the correct speaker----both physical size and correct voice coil impedence.  They were the only place I ever found that you could get one with 8 real ohms impedence and their price was quite reasonable----I think $35 plus shipping.

Ghoste

I had a 69 Charger once that had "Chrysler" instead of "Dodge" on the radio faceplate.

Jesco

How about this "I have seen two styles of Dodge units. The Charger correct style had area above the viewable dial lense with a bend in the middle that follows the radio bezel shape (so it fits snug against the bezel). The other style had a totally flat area above the lense that would make it fit funky in a Charger bezel. I am not sure what the flat lense style came from".

Is the last tumbwheel radio (pics) with Dodge dial face as discribe above? Will it fit "funky" in the 69 charger ralley dash bezel?
1969 Dodge Charger R/T

Charger-Bodie

take the lens off the other one a swap them.

Jesco

How much is a newly served working radio like the last exemple (dodge solid state) radio worth? I have been offer to buy it for 150 $
1969 Dodge Charger R/T

Chatt69chgr

Assuming the radio appears to be in decent shape internally (ie, not all corroded, etc) and the thumbwheels rotate, dial moves, switches click, then the value of the radio is dependent on the condition of the diecast chrome bezel.  They have a tendancy for the chrome to get pitted and bubble up.  A real nice chrome bezel is hard to find.  The plastic dial cover can be easily replaced from another one and even polished just like gauge lens covers.  I would say that a poor condition radio would be worth maybe $5 but a nice condition AM one would be worth maybe $50.  Then you need to send it off to someone to service and bring back to life.  I paid $75 for that but I think the price may have gone up to $100 to $125.  So if your radio is nice and works good then it ought to be worth $150.  AM/FM radios like this are rare and go for $600 to $1000.  I used to see these AM radios around but they are getting scarce like every other MOPAR part.  I do recall that the upper part of the dial cover is beveled on Chargers.  I think the square top dial covers were on Darts and probably other Mopars.