News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help with Pinging

Started by gojo64, May 25, 2007, 09:31:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gojo64

69 charger, 383 mild street car, auto, MP distributor (bought in 2001), 2400 stall converter, 3:55 rear, 93 octane summer gas. Car warmed up to op temp, I set the initial timing at 15 degrees (approx. 900 rpm) with vacuum advance unhooked & plugged (& I kept it that way), not sure what mechnical advance timing is at this point. It runs real good & starts up quick & easy, but pings slightly when going up hills or under light load partial acceleration. What can I do to stop the pinging? How do I check the dist. mechanical advance? When I take the cap off, I see a torx head screw on the plate, how do I adjust ? Firefighter, Chryco anyone, any thoughts? Thanks in "advance" , no pun intended  ;D

PS: also, when I have a vacuum gauge hooked up to manifold vacuum, it's approx 12", but it's slightly fluctuating 10-14", is this normal or is it something bad? Everything is new top to bottom.
"Well,... you gonna pull them pistols or... whistle Dixie?" Josey Wales
1969 Charger 383/727/3:55

Chryco Psycho

Vacuum is in the low / normal range depending on cam & intake
to cure the pinging you need to either back the timing off slightly or use better fuel
the adjustable advance limits the total advance so reducing the timing curve more, this will require more advance at idle to get the same total advance which is not what you need & will add to the pinging problem
you may need to adjust the vacuum advance unit on the dist , turn the adjustment screw all the way countervclockwise & turn the screw in again 1-2 turns & connect the vacuum to get the curve you want with maybe 13 * at idle & still have 36-38* at 3000 rpm

firefighter3931

Check the total advance and see how soon it's coming in.....the curve could be causing the detonation issues if it's coming in too soon and if there is too much total advance. Use a timing light and map out the advance in 500rpm increments and report back. The newer MP distributors are adjustable for mechanical advance and the springs control the rate of advance.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs