News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Does switching engines involve switching the tranny as well?

Started by RoscoePColtrain, May 24, 2007, 09:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoscoePColtrain

Please pardon my new-ness.

Is it possible to switch out a 318 motor with a crate 440 or 426 (from http://www.mopar.com/performance/index.html) without having to change the transmission (original rebuilt of course)?  Or must the transmission be changed to accomodate the different power output of the new engine.  When switching out motors, what else must be changed?

I had a friend with an older Nova who switched out his engines for one with more power, but ended up first bending his frame, cracking his axel and eventually destroying his transmission.  I don't know if this even applies tho.

Charger1973

Small block transmissions wont even bolt up to a big block. 

chargerman68

when i switched my 318/727(small block) to a 440 with a big block 727 no really big issues just wiring...
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

RoscoePColtrain

So with the installation of a 426, what else must be changed along with a tranny that is compatible with the engine?

70charger_boy

The rear end would have to be an 8 3/4 rear vs. the stock 7 3/4  You will also have to change the K-member

chargerman68

1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

RD

Quote from: 70charger_boy ® on May 25, 2007, 09:21:07 AM
The rear end would have to be an 8 3/4 rear vs. the stock 7 3/4  You will also have to change the K-member

8 3/4 minimum, dana 60 preferred or even a 9" ford if you are wanting to bastardize your charger :D

fyi, there is no such thing a 7 3/4 mopar rearend, its 7 1/4, 8 1/4, 8 3/4, 9 1/4 and 9 3/4 (Dana 60)

*edit* no need to change the k member if you get schumacher engine swap mounts
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander