News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cam swap in a 70 Charger without removing the engine or even the grille?

Started by Blakcharger440, May 23, 2007, 06:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blakcharger440

Hey I was wondering if you could do a cam swap in a 440 without removing the engine in a 68-70 B Body?

I am wanting to swap a cam in my 70 Charger and I am wondering if i can put the cam in "straight up" without removing the engine.

It looks like i can swap the cam without even removing the grille but just the radiator and front part of the engine,accessories,etc????

firefighter3931

No problem....just pull the front accessories and radiator and you will have plenty of room.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

mikepmcs

Thank you Ron! I'm about to do mine 2 saturdays from now.  Was supposed to be a couple weeks ago but the rain hampered the process. 
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Rolling_Thunder

This will work on 68-69 Chargers as well...     I know i swapped cams in my 383 when it was in the car...    had roughly 3/4" clearance before the cam hit the grill
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Charger1973

Should be a peice of cake on a 3rd gen then.  We have like 8 feet between the radiator and grille.   ;)

73chgrSE

Has anyone here done a cam swap on a 3rd gen that way? Just wondering, I want to soon.

Blakcharger440

Quote from: firefighter3931 on May 23, 2007, 08:29:31 PM
No problem....just pull the front accessories and radiator and you will have plenty of room.  :yesnod:

Ron

Excellent! Thanks Ron. I was eyeballing it the other day and it looked like there should be room. I wasnt sure.

LET THE SWAPPING BEGIN!  :coolgleamA:

firefighter3931

You're welcome....and make sure you lube the journals with Moly paste before installing it. The lifter faces also need Moly but the cam lobes can go in dry.  ;)

Any questions....just ask  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs