News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Brake booster removal help

Started by terrible one, May 23, 2007, 07:59:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrible one

Well this morning I set out to remove my brake booster on the '68. God what a hassle that is! Anyways, after cutting up my hands getting the thing de-tached from the firewall, I ran into problems with where it connects to the brake pedal assembly. Basically, I can't figure out how I'm supposed to get the bolt out! Surely I'm doing something wrong. I've attached some pictures of what I'm talking about. Suggestions?

From inside the car, under the dash:

From outside the car, engine bay firewall:

Shakey

Undo the other bolts on the bell crank and remove the booster with the bell crank all as one piece.

resq302

The bell crank is the piece that the bolt you have partially removed in the top picture gets connected to.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Just 6T9 CHGR

:iagree:  The bellcrank & booster come out as an assy....take the bolt off the brake pedal & remove the whole thing

See pic
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

terrible one

Thanks guys! I get it now, and I plan to have at it again tonight or tomorrow. I'll tell ya'll how it goes.

Sweet T

This is funny I'm doing the same thing and ran into the same trouble.  I was trying to take off as little as possible (bolts and small parts).  I want to take the booster and the pedals out for paint, which is coming up very soon.  The big bolt at the pedal is a pain in the arse and two of the bolts on the booster to the master cylinder are not budging.
No, it ain't a Hemi.....thank God!

terrible one

Quote from: Sweet T on May 23, 2007, 07:30:28 PM
This is funny I'm doing the same thing and ran into the same trouble.  I was trying to take off as little as possible (bolts and small parts).  I want to take the booster and the pedals out for paint, which is coming up very soon.  The big bolt at the pedal is a pain in the arse and two of the bolts on the booster to the master cylinder are not budging.

Haha yeah man it's no fun. The bolts under the dash were real tricky to get to for me, especially the one by the pedal like you said. The others, higher up, were easier thanks to the fact that my gauge cluster was out and I could get at them from the front like that.