News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Air Cleaner Hood Clearance

Started by Chatt69chgr, May 22, 2007, 10:33:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chatt69chgr

I am still trying to nail down whether I have a hood clearance issue with my proposed engine setup.

I have a 69 Charger (originally had a 318) that I am putting a 440 in.  I have a Edelbrock CH4B intake and Unsilenced Air Cleaner.  I plan on using a Holly 4bbl with vacuum secondarys and electric choke.  (4150 or 4160---don't remember which number)

Will I have a hood clearance problem?  I assume the air cleaner base will fit on the Holly OK (don't know for sure).  I didn't want to have to use a drop base on the air cleaner as this restricts the air flow.

I will note that Chris (Just 69 Charger) has this combination but I don't know if he used a drop base.  Also, I hear he used a Proform body.  I don't know much about them but supposedly they don't have a choke horn.  I hear Holly has a similar offering now.  Does the Proform body give you more hood clearance?  I think it has better air flow characteristics. 

Surely someone out there has a setup like this on their car.

70charger_boy

You shouldn't have any clearance issues, but I can't say without any pics.  My friend had a problem with his hemi.  The air cleaner was hitting the windshield washer motor.  So, he put in a non operational shorter one for sunny days.

Just 6T9 CHGR

As you know I was running the exact combo.....you will not have a hood clearance problem per say.....the only reason I used a drop base it because my aircleaner was hiting my nicey nice molded hood pad.   This pad is made of a brillo type material and was wearing down the aluminum on my pie tin....

IIRC when I ran the older style "dirty rag" type hood pad I didnt have as much an issue....it hit but no damage to the aircleaner.

If you are not using a hood pad then you will have no issues whatsoever
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Chatt69chgr

Thanks Chris.  I appreciate the help.  This eases my mind on this issue.