News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need a new oil pan for my 68 383. What's my best option?

Started by Corellian Corvette, May 20, 2007, 11:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corellian Corvette

The bottom of my oil pan is pretty badly pushed in/dented and I'm going to replace it while all of the steering linkage is out.

I'm not having an easy time locating an oem replacement pan for a 68 383 motor.

I notice that Milodon has a driver replacement but it says it requires a new pickup and oil pump.

I'd just like to find a nice replacement and not go through all that if possible.

Any options?

Thanks!

tecmopar

Give the guys at Mancini racing a call, they can help you out, good luck.

Chryco Psycho

I would use the 6 Qt Hemi pan with the 3/8" pick up tube , Mancini sells a kit 

8WHEELER

You can buy a standard baffled replacement pan from mother Mopar ''Bellevue Chrysler''
for not a lot of cash. I myself have been running the 6 QT Hemi pan on my car for
years and years, on my 440's, with no problems. And you get the extra capacity for
piece of mind. 383 and 440 oil pans are the same in case you were not certain.

How is your car coming along? long time no hear  :yesnod:

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

deputycrawford

Chryco, I have a question all of us might want reminded of. There is a lot of talk lately of the 1/2 inch pickup and 7 qt pan. I am victim of that also, as I run one right now on my 383. What is the cross over point for the use of the larger pickup and deeper pan? How much of an eingine build really needs that much pan and pickup?

By the way, I don't feel I've hijacked the thread as it pertains to the subject at hand.

If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

firefighter3931

The hemi pan is a good option and has excellent ground clearance. I personally wouldn't have any problems spinning an engine to 6500 rpm with one of those. I have the hemi pan on my 446 and it has over 80 dyno pulls to 6500 rpm without any issues. Mine also has the 1/2in pickup modification but it's probably not necessary for most street/strip builds, inmo.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs