News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

318 Are my pistons too deep in the hole...............

Started by bandit67, May 20, 2007, 06:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit67

Hi Guys, trying get my numbers matchin 318 back together.  Had the block punched 30 over and bought new cast pistons.  Stock rods were full floating and are in great shape. Placed old stock flat top piston and new replacement on same piston pin and both seemed to be at same height. Had crank turned, and installed rod assembly with new bearings.  Pistons  now measure around  .075 down below deck.  This seems way to low. Checked with my books and can not find any numbers  in reference to what is expected.  The motor is 1972.  The replacement pistons  also have four valve notches  as compared to the original flat tops. I wish to get compression up to 10. 1 if possible. I have the thinnest head gaskets Mopars makes. I had ask for heads to shaved as much as possible , but on pick up was told they just surfaced ground them.  Should I get the blocked decked  or find new pistons.........any opinions...........John

Chryco Psycho

I would rather use a taller piston than try to deck the block that far down

bandit67

Thanks Chryco, any idea how far down below deck is normal?  Any idea on where to find a taller piston.  Would a stock 67 318 piston be taller........was thinking maybe I just ordered the wrong stuff.........John

Chryco Psycho

http://www.csgnetwork.com/compcalc.html

this may help
I do not have any catalogs handy to look for piston options , Posssibly Diamond may have some options