News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Correct screws for center console hinge and latch

Started by Corellian Corvette, May 15, 2007, 12:37:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corellian Corvette

Sorry for all the stupid questions. I'm trying to get my console back together and it was originally totally mangled.

What are the correct screws to mount the console lid hinge to the inside of the console? Is it just #8 sheetmetal screws?

Are there any sort of backing to attach the screws to, or is it just the plastic console holding the hinge in?

What about the lid latch? I'm not sure if I have the correct thing, can anyone send a picture with the correct screws?

Thanks!

kab69440

I assume you are talking about a 68-70 console? There is a sheet metal strip behind the plastic that catches the screws. The studs on the console door correctly use acorn nuts. A generic speed nut gets the job done just as well, though. I'll see if I can dig up some pics to post.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Corellian Corvette

Thanks! I am talking about the 68 console.

I was able to find picture of the acrorn nuts.

What about that latch side? Pics would be great.

Thanks again!

kab69440

This is the strip that catches the screws. The screws themselves are a pan head style with a 5/8" thread length. I don't know what "number" they are. I don't have a pic of a latch to show you. It is little more than a piece of sheetmetal with a small 90 degree bend at the top and two screw holes.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

hutch

Just take the screws to Lowes or some hardware store and match them up.  They are pretty standard phillips head.  I go with a hex driver screw in black.  Look a little better in the cockpit.

In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"