News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Shaving the drip rails...

Started by Rack, May 18, 2007, 09:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rack

How is it done? How do you attach the trim after the rails have been shaved? Or does it do away with the trim after shaving? What rails are typically shaved? All of them or just the ones around the doors?

bull

Quote from: Rack on May 18, 2007, 09:19:57 PM
How is it done? How do you attach the trim after the rails have been shaved? Or does it do away with the trim after shaving? What rails are typically shaved? All of them or just the ones around the doors?

Mike (aka NYCMille) had his shaved but it may have been done before he bought it. He doesn't have any trim attached.

moparguy01

just the rails around the door are shaved. You have no where for the trim to mount after removing the rail. you do it by cutting them off then welding the edges solid, then grind it smooth then do bodywork as normal. I only do this when the drip rails or the part of the roof skin is so rusted its not feasible to repair them.

Rack

Quote from: bull on May 18, 2007, 09:26:48 PM
Quote from: Rack on May 18, 2007, 09:19:57 PM

Mike (aka NYCMille) had his shaved but it may have been done before he bought it. He doesn't have any trim attached.

Thanks, Bull. Yeah I really like the way his car looks.

Quotejust the rails around the door are shaved. You have no where for the trim to mount after removing the rail. you do it by cutting them off then welding the edges solid, then grind it smooth then do bodywork as normal. I only do this when the drip rails or the part of the roof skin is so rusted its not feasible to repair them.

Thanks, Moparguy01. I was planning on painting my trim black anyway so I figured shaving the rails might be a better way to go (my car is gonna be all black except for the fuel cap and wheels).

What are the advantages/disadvantages to shaving the rails?

moparguy01

Put new door seals in if you do it, otherwise you will get rain runoff into the car if the seals arent good and tight. Also, forget about a vinyl roof, they attach at the drip rail.

advantages: well, sometimes its easier than repairing the rusty rails.  :icon_smile_big:

Rack

Quote from: moparguy01 on May 18, 2007, 09:43:47 PM
Put new door seals in if you do it, otherwise you will get rain runoff into the car if the seals arent good and tight. Also, forget about a vinyl roof, they attach at the drip rail.

advantages: well, sometimes its easier than repairing the rusty rails.  :icon_smile_big:

:icon_smile_big:

I'll find out what condition they're in soon (after I get it blasted).

Just doing some pre-planning. Need to make sure I do it while it's in epoxy primer, if I do it at all.

moparguy01

do it before its in epoxy primer if possible. or spray more epoxy on that area after your done.

autodynamics

HERE IS A PIC OF NO DRIP RAILS...

daytonalo

After I finish up on my  Hemi Daytona replica , my next project is a Bobby Issac # 71 Daytona with drip rails shaved , half tempted to do it on this car . Nice car , could you please post a few pics of the shaved drip rails , side view . Larry

Hemidog

this thread is interresting, thinking of doing this to my rusted rails...

Lostsheep

How much drag do you think you cut off by removing the rails? Im interested in either shaving the rails or first thought of using the Daytona style wind deflectors. Any thoughts to which would be better?

deputycrawford

Lostsheep. I believe the car is a brick anyway. Shaving the drip rails will only change the looks of the car. I don't think even a wind tunnel will notice the change in a car like that. Besides; how often will you be doing 180 MPH anyway. I'm not trying to be mean. I'm just saying do it for the looks or leave them in.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

daytonalo

Yes , Buy a set of my A-pillar wind deflectors !!!!

Mike DC

I'd bet that most of the benefit of shaved rails would be gained with just the stainless covers. 

NASCAR racers were known to have shaved the driprails in the mid-1960's (or even sneakier, just cut them off & re-weld them closer inwards!).  So Mopar was obviously aware of the issue going into the Charger aero stuff.  The Charger 500 & Daytona programs were doing huge modifications with flush rear windows & nosecones & huge wings, but they left the driprails alone after the first round of covers on the Charger 500 project.  That makes me think the covers must have taken care of the issue pretty well.

daytonalo

Are you guys for real ??????? You might see an aero advantage , very minimal @ 200mph ! Oh yea we all do that . I want to do because it looks slick !

Lostsheep

Quote from: deputycrawford on June 14, 2007, 09:54:07 PM
Lostsheep. I believe the car is a brick anyway. Shaving the drip rails will only change the looks of the car. I don't think even a wind tunnel will notice the change in a car like that. Besides; how often will you be doing 180 MPH anyway. I'm not trying to be mean. I'm just saying do it for the looks or leave them in.

Well I might not be going 180 alot but every little bit helps.

daytonalo

for the record , the stainless a-pillar trim will not work with shaved drip rails . Trust me I'm the guy who makes daytona-500- superbird a-pillar trim .

Larry