News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Blaster Shop Problem

Started by The70RT, May 16, 2007, 11:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The70RT

Ok guys tell me what you think. I went to a buissiness to get my car blasted inside and out and shoot it with epoxy primer. They blasted nothing but the body parts and nothing extra. They quoted me AROUND a grand. It was two weeks later till I got it to them. They said nothing more about the cost. It is done now and I can pick it up. I asked what the bill is and they said 1,900 and some odd dollars :o. To me 12-maybe 14 would be around a grand. They owner now says he don't remember quoting me any price then.......don't even remember me coming in prior to dropping off the car ???. He said he was a man of his words and would refigure the bill. So what is around a grand to you guys? He called me at noon today and never called me back.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

bull

First off, $1,900 is outrageous for that job. I got quotes from two or three places and none were over $1,000, but that did not include primer. I think mine cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $800-$1,000 and that was for media blast and chemical strip on everything.

Second, IMO "around" $1,000 means $800-$1,200. Funny how their memory fades while the work is being done. I hate to say "you should have done so and so" but you already know the quote should have been in writing.

At this point You should stick to your guns and see if you can get it out of there for around $1,200. It may still be a ripoff but at least you have the car (they can do liens on cars for non-payment), cut your losses and go elsewhere with a solid, written quote.

Telvis

I paid $700 to get mine sandblasted 2 years ago. I thought that was outrageous.

Rack

Wait a minute, he didn't even do the complete job, but he's charging you 900 more then he quoted?

So he's charging you MORE for LESS? Or am I misunderstanding you?

The70RT

Quote from: Rack on May 17, 2007, 03:38:40 AM
Wait a minute, he didn't even do the complete job, but he's charging you 900 more then he quoted?

So he's charging you MORE for LESS? Or am I misunderstanding you?

They did the full job. It is already done. He is charging more. I was out there a couple days ago and a price was not even mentioned. All they could talk about is how they never seen a charger in such good cond. I  talked to a friend who recomended them and i guess they blasted a chevelle outside only, the frame and put on two rear quarters for 2200......so go figure on my price. They know my wife works for 3 lawyers because she called for me one day when I was there and they have caller I.D. and commented on that.....so maybe they will call today and work it out. I don't think they want to go to court and niether do I. I just want my damned car back and make it right on the bill. I could just write a check and not have the funds in my account, but I am up and up and would use that as the last resort.

Rack

Oh ok. At least the full work is done.

I got quoted the other day for just a soda blast job (inside and out, including the underside, but not priming) for $2200. Right now I'd take the 1900 (including the primer).

Still not sure if I'm gonna pay the guy to do it or not. Not a lot of options down here where I'm at.

TUFCAT

In Michigan at least, consumers are protected by a law that states a repair shop can't charge you more than 10% of the original estimate (well, they can - - but legally you don't have to pay).  This would apply to body shops, etc. In your case however, without a written estimate I don't know how enforceable it would be  :icon_smile_sad:

Normally, in this day and age all "licensed repair shops" write some form of estimate before they start working on a car - a repair oder at a minimum,  just to keep things on a legal basis for insurance,  tax purposes, etc. This may not be a licensed repair shop, but still doesn't sound like a very reputable facility to me.  I would first call the local chamber of commerce, then the BBB, and threaten to call the state bureaus.

This same sort of thing happened to my brother when he got his Charger painted five years ago.  The hill-Jack caveman painter provided an estimate around 6800, then crept it up to 7500, and continued asking to be paid more until it reached well over 8,000!  Unfortunately at that point, the car was still at the shop, and of course he wanted the nicest job possible without pissing off the painter.   When he learned about the 10% thing, they settled the deal around 7500 bucks.

Bottom line....I would never pay more than 10%  (maybe 15% if the dollars were low) over an agreed upon price.

TripleBlackGator

I hate to be a pessimist or a cynic but it's in my blood. (Go figure) NO VERBAL CONTRACTS!!! If who you are dealing with will not agree to a written and signed estimate move on to someone who will. They are out there. Even estimates can be written with an allowable cost percentage increase. Given the work you were asking to have done it should have been a cut and done price. Blast and prime. What would crop up (cost wise) with that job? My  :Twocents:
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

The70RT

I gotta call back. They said 1,450 + tax. Instead of fighting with them I guess it is live & learn. It is over by a couple hundered of what I exspected but it is done and I can move on to what i gotta do. I guess I better get out there today to get it. I would hate for any other problems to arise Thanks for the input guys.

Rack

Quote from: The70RT on May 17, 2007, 12:47:43 PM
I gotta call back. They said 1,450 + tax. Instead of fighting with them I guess it is live & learn. It is over by a couple hundered of what I exspected but it is done and I can move on to what i gotta do. I guess I better get out there today to get it. I would hate for any other problems to arise Thanks for the input guys.

IMO that's not a bad price for a complete blast job and the primer. It's not a great price, but not a bad price.

hemi-hampton

From your first comment sounds like the Blaster was saying $1,000 for outside since thats all they originally blasted, Doing  the the rest is twice as much work which means twice as much price. Makes sense to me. Only problem I see is the Usuall, I see this all the time. Lack of Communication. They should say the rest is extra instead of just doing it & charging extra with out asking. Since I restore cars & work in a Body Shop/Resto Shop/Collision shop I see this same problem all the time. I like to fully communicate with the Customers but the Business owners like to keep everything a secret & confidential & play games. They never call customers & never ask what they want & just do what they want. 9 out of 10 body shop owners are total Idiots & Scams. LEON.

bull

Quote from: hemi-hampton on May 17, 2007, 06:44:41 PM
From your first comment sounds like the Blaster was saying $1,000 for outside since thats all they originally blasted, Doing  the the rest is twice as much work which means twice as much price. Makes sense to me. Only problem I see is the Usuall, I see this all the time. Lack of Communication. They should say the rest is extra instead of just doing it & charging extra with out asking. Since I restore cars & work in a Body Shop/Resto Shop/Collision shop I see this same problem all the time. I like to fully communicate with the Customers but the Business owners like to keep everything a secret & confidential & play games. They never call customers & never ask what they want & just do what they want. 9 out of 10 body shop owners are total Idiots & Scams. LEON.

It's good that you know how to communicate. As you indicated there are a lot in your line of work who have no clue or take advantage.

WheresMyCharger

Be sure the check clears, you can get yourself into a lot more trouble writting bad checks.
He should aslo know that a bad word travels faster than a good one. Looks like he is willing to compromise on the price.Make the best deal you can and cut your losses, and learn from this one. At least the car is done and you're ready for the next step.
Have you seen my old '69 Charger??
       *XP29H9B324356*

hemi-hampton

If he did inside & out & everywhere inbetween, The car 100% in it's entirety & Epoxy primed it all to boot for $1,400 then thats a fair/good deal. Be happy. LEON.

moparguy01

i agree with leon. if its 1400 including epoxy primer, thats not a bad deal. epoxy primer is damned expensive anymore.

The70RT

Yeah I'm happy. The invoice showed 3 gallons of primmer. The guy originally said they were going to put just enough on to keep the bare metal from rusting......so I am not sure if they actually did use three gallons. They show almost 600 for primmer. I'm mostly happy about the underside. I removed the undercoating a while back and the blasting really knocked the surface rust off my rails. It had some surface rust on the rear ones where the tank didn't allow the undercoating to reach. I just wish we would of had it in writing for there benifit. After talking to others they always give a verbal agreement before they start. I doubt if they will deal with me again.....they weren't too happy.

hemigeno

Verbal contracts/agreements are worth as much as the paper they're printed on.  Literally.

Glad it worked out for you though!

The70RT

Quote from: hemigeno on May 18, 2007, 08:44:27 AM
Verbal contracts/agreements are worth as much as the paper they're printed on.  Literally.

Glad it worked out for you though!

I hear ya. I had bodywork and paint doen a couple years ago on one of my cars. I never met the guy till then. A teacher recomended him and he knew him for 30+ years though. He took my car for three months and it came back better than expected with no suprises.....so i guess you never know.