News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My 1973 Charger progress pics

Started by Charger1973, May 17, 2007, 08:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger1973

Well as some of you know, I picked up another '73 in a little better shape than my old one this winter...  I also got it running with a little work.  Man its nice to have one I can take for a test spin now and then while im working on it, even though I really havent taken it out on the road much yet.  Anyway here are some progress pics.  Ive had the car about 2 1/2 months now. 

Its got a 400 in it now, but when its rebuild time im planning to build a 451 stroker.  Im still undecided on whether to keep it an auto or go for a 5 speed conversion with the pistol grip...   :scratchchin:

This is close to what I want it to look like when its finished.  FY1 Top Banana   :boogie: 

This is where I found the car

The day I got it home...

Luckily I had enough spare parts to put it back together.  

I shot some gray primer just to hide the mismatched body panels for now.

Looks good wet.   ;)

I have some R/T taillights to go on instead of these, I just need a new lens for one side...

And heres a shot from about 20 minutes ago.  I just finished the grille today.  :D

71ChallengeHer

Matt, That is looking great. I can't believe all the progress you've made. Wanna start working on the Super Coupe. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Mefirst

Fitz73Chrgr

Looking great!  Wish ours was making progress as fast as yours.
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

mikesbbody

matt, thats looking awesome! and those hideaways look good on the 73 id go fro the 5 speed but you could put the $ somewhere else since those 5 speeds are not cheap!

autodynamics

that looks good!!!!! cant wait to see some progress!!!

jasonfromIKILLYA

"Great souls have always received violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Einstein

bmoparmofo

69 charger 383 t5, 67 newport 383, 67 newport custom 383

Charger1973

Thanks guys.   ;D   I spent many days working in the snow/rain/mud and im just finally getting some nice warm sunny days. 

Heres what the R/T lights that I have will look like on my car.  I just need to finish the wiring on them and get that lens replaced.

My interiors in peices right now too.  I already switched it over to the Rallye gauges.  Unforutnately the dash needs to come back out one more time for my next project... changing to black interior.

Charger_Croatia

Quote from: Fitz73Chrgr on May 17, 2007, 09:45:27 PM
Looking great!  Wish ours was making progress as fast as yours.

:iagree: This sounds familiar to me.

Keep going on!
'73 Charger with 400 (under restore)
2018 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid AWD Blue Sport

charger0740

thats looking good I like the hideaways

Hemidog

Charger-Bodie

thats going to be a very cool car!!! its a great feeling to see the progress isnt it?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

BMOTOXSTAR

Wow,
   I hope that my 73' looks that sharp when it is done. I like the hideaways & RT tails. Make it your own. :yesnod:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Charger1973

Well im glad you guys like it.   ;D  Sometimes I wonder if something will really look good or I just think it will look good because its what I want.  I must be doing something right.   :P

Heres a few pics of my dash during the conversion from the standard to the Rallye cluster...

70charger_boy

hutch

I am involved in the same project but way behind you my friend.  Keep the pics coming. Good work.
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

41husk

nice work! I notice you have no vynil top, you wouldn't happen to have some vynil top trim for a 73 with a halo top?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Charger1973

Quote from: 41husk on May 18, 2007, 09:40:25 AM
nice work! I notice you have no vynil top, you wouldn't happen to have some vynil top trim for a 73 with a halo top?

Thanks.  My first Charger was actually FY1, I do miss that car, and it is my reasoning for going back to the color.  I just love it...  In fact when I had that car back in the 90s, I always wanted to make a car like you are doing with yours, a '73 Bee.  The idea is still in the back of my head every time I look at the yellow photoshop...   :scratchchin:

This is my first '73 back in 1998

As far as the vinyl top trim...  This car never had a top on it.  My other hardtop car came with the halo top, but the top and trim were gone before I got the car  :brickwall:, and I dont know anyone that would have the trim.   I would imagine it would be a tough thing to find but ebay is probably going to be your best bet.  Im pretty sure I have seen it on there before.  :-\

JR

Damn that's nice. Your making some good progress real quick. It doesnt' even look like the same car anymore. Right on! :icon_smile_big:
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

41husk

Thanks for the reply on the trim and thanks for posting the pics.  I hope to get some pictures of the bad bee up today.  The computer tech teacher took some pics and is going to resize them so I can post them on here, LGCuda came by this morning and took some pics as well.  Between the three of us I hope we can get them posted.  I wish I had found some RT tail lights that really looks sharp.  Keep up the good work
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

mikesbbody

the conversion to the rallye cluster is 100% better imo, and the likes of hideaways, and rt lights are nice personal touches.  :2thumbs:

Charger1973

Pulled the dash back out today.  Im going to get to work on the floors in the next few days.  The dash is going to get painted black before it goes back in.  Im adding the AM/FM radio and getting rid the AC vents since I have decided on not putting the AC back in the car.   

Nacho-RT74

be sure you match wiper switch with motor... that one looks to be variable speed switch
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Charger1973

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on May 18, 2007, 11:28:47 PM
be sure you match wiper switch with motor... that one looks to be variable speed switch

Thats one thing I was meaning to ask you about.   :P    My car came with the 2 speed wiper motor.  Ive got a 3 speed motor to install and (obviously) the switch and dash wiring already installed.  So is there anything else I need to do or change?  Or just plug in the new wiper motor and go?  I think since it plugs into the fuse box that I have it all covered but wanted to make sure I wasnt missing anything.