News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Granny Cars

Started by JMF, May 17, 2007, 03:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMF

Anyone own one of those time warp old granny cars which look brand new, got any pics? Was watching Wrecks To Riches earlier and that Torino they had on there was amazing

1BAD68

I dont, but this thread reminded me of a 68 Coronet 4 door that was on Ebay about 5 years ago. Low miles (like 33,000 or something) absolutely mint car, skinny little grandpa tires with beautiful perfect hub caps. Interior was perfect, original paint shined nicely, it had a 318 and sold for $3500.00
I really wanted to buy it but hesitated because it was a 4 door.
:brickwall:
It would have been the perfect daily driver

Brock Samson

i see them around,..
no pics but they often come up for sale at local auctions,..
i bid on a absolutly cherry tripple green 2-door 69 dart with a 318, but a guy out bid me, he was buyin a car for his momma or grandma i forget now but as i recall my budget was $2K. and i went home empty handed... 

JMF

It's amazing that a 35 year old car could have just 6k miles on it

69 OUR/TEA

Don't know if this fits what you're looking for,so I'll share anyway as it looks like a "granny" car.First is a pic of a pic,sorry no scanner,taken in 1994 is my 68 Coronet 440 w/13k miles,totally original.Second pic,last year at a local mopar show,with 24k miles.For this show I put back on the original tires and rims for the first time since 1994,drove from about a mile away,don't trust them that much.The car was a very good survivor,but with  some minor nicks and scratches,couple of door dings,stained carpet,and the engine bay being a little dirtier than I would like,decided to make a show car .Stripped down to metal,repainted orig EE1 base/clear sanded and buffed,rechromed all emblems ,bumpers ,etc.Removed drivetrain for eng,tranny,and suspension detailing only,no rebuild.New carpet,and front seat upolstry.Not fast,not loud,not rare but still fun to take to the cruise nights and shows.

71superbee

Was your car at Vernon Ct ? Your car looks familiar to me. BTW very nice looking car !

69 OUR/TEA

Yes,that is where this pic was taken.I go every year to both shows,but besides this show it usually has magnums on it.

71superbee

I thought so !!!! As soon as I saw your pic I recalled walking up to your car from the driver's side and thought what a great looking car, and I think you made mention of the tires too.

Lee01

Granny car....I found one interesting, but it sold before I get a chance to get my little piggy full, it was cheap only 2500$ cnd, I talk with the guy, it was a driver, needed a little tlc but still had a 440 in it, cuda bucket seat.
It was a 70 Satellite swap with a 440 out of a new yorker. But it was a Road runner look alike.

Current ride:
2012 Boss 302 YB #0664
2018 WRX
2018 Crosstrek
2004 SRT-4
WTB 68-69 Charger

bull

A few of my favs from last summer:

BMOTOXSTAR

My 74' Satellite is a Granny ride. :yesnod:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Brock Samson

:scratchchin: i would hardly car a hurst 300 a Granny Car...  :icon_smile_big:

by the way that red '70 Sat. in the first pic would appear to have a HEMI or Six-Pack air cleaner,.. but the second pic has a stock 440...  :shruggy:

and ourtea (a licence plate i concidered BTW:) I love that Coronet!!!  :yesnod:

BMOTOXSTAR

I agree, a Hurst 300 is a bad ass piece of Mopar muscle. Had the chance to buy a survivor a few years ago, wish I could find another.
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

bull

Whatever. They do nothing for me. If I owned one I wouldn't be able to flip it fast enough.

In fact they remind me of another Chrysler product recently produced that's basically a granny car covered in fancy stickers, tail fins and hood scoops that we're supposed to get all excited about simply because it goes fast.

JMF

I'm surprised these granny's can drive such big cars, over here most granny's drive Ford Fiesta's and Fiat Uno's

Old Moparz

My 318-2V Scamp was a "Granny Car" when I found it in 1988. Well, actually a "Grandpa Car" since it was an old guy who had it. It had 42,000 original miles, a perfect original interior, the original vinyl roof, bias ply tires, steel wheels with hubcaps on it, & the hideous side body mouldings. Other than a previously repaired passenger fender from a minor accident, which you can see the color difference, the paint was all original. I might have an old photo of it with the hubcaps, but would have to hunt for it & scan it.

This photo is from about 1990 with only the rally wheels added. Engine rebuild was around 1991, new paint came around 1995, but the vinyl roof is still from 1971. The small rust area on the lower quarter wasn't there when I bought it.

Most recent photo from this summer. It is the same color by the way, it's the lighting that makes it appear different.

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

terrible one

This 318 Coronet was for sale local to me a few months ago for $800. I'd say that it fits the category besides the wheels. 31,700 original miles. Look at the interior, and the paint and chrome under the dust!

Todd Wilson

2 years ago this unit popped up at a local auction place. It went for about 800$. I tried to buy it but my cheap self set a max price and it went over it a little bit. Looking back I shoulda bought it. Wife has a brand new car and she says now she is tired of car payments so this would have been a good replacement for her.

And estate sale car. 1975 Dodge Brougham. 318 car. 100000 miles. Excellent shape. A little rust on the rear wheel well area but nothing terrible. Would have been a good driver for a long time yet.

BMOTOXSTAR

Sweet. I love Granny Mopars. :yesnod:
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

41husk

about 3 years ago, I thought I had bought a 70 challenger 6cyl car rust free all original, belonged to the kids grandmother, we made a deal on line at 3k, after a few days of requesting a mailing address to send his money, the guy contacted me and said he had a misunderstanding and had made a deal with another guy prior to ours? (somebody offered more money.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

nh_mopar_fan

Few years ago a picked up a 71 Valiant sedan for $225. It was a complete stripper, radio delete, manual footpump for the washer fluid. My wife loved it. She drove it for 3 years until she burned a valve and I decided not to put any money into it.

Gave it to charity. Antique value= $2100, that's $700 in real money off the taxes.

She is driving her 66 Valiant ragtop now.

She loves these granny cars.

GeneralLeeTESH

Now boyz...speaking of "Granny or Grampsy" carz...try cruising the nursing home parking lots...often they are parked in the lot with a couple of flat tires and worn out battery. Often-these "care ???" facilities basically STEAL the car from the owner before/after their death ! Just DEPENDS...
The TESH

1972Rallye

89MOPAR

Quote from: bull on May 19, 2007, 10:31:46 AM
Whatever. They do nothing for me. If I owned one I wouldn't be able to flip it fast enough.

In fact they remind me of another Chrysler product recently produced that's basically a granny car covered in fancy stickers, tail fins and hood scoops that we're supposed to get all excited about simply because it goes fast.

Well , Bull, why put up the picture then if you don't like it ?
Good thing you don't own one, you wouldn't deserve it. :flame:
Let me see - A factory two door car , leather and power seats + windows, hideaway headlights, a 440 TNT motor, a tranny tweaked by hurst,unique fiberglass hood and decklid, special paint scheme,hood pins, first use of that type of rims. Heavy duty suspension. Total of 485 made.   yeah thats nothing special  :rotz:

And I'm betting stock to stock , any 300Hurst would have spanked your personal Charger.

Do you just bring up topics to rip on them later in the thread ?

Somehow I fail to see the connection between that car and the new Chargers you detest.
  The 300 Hurst was never marketed as a "granny car" , but instead as the bankers hotrod - an iron fist in a velvet glove.

But hey , at least you are consistent in your hating and got another jab in against the current chrysler offerings, Good job weaving in a little discontent in a totally unrelated topic....  :2thumbs:

77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

bull

Quote from: 89MOPAR on August 10, 2007, 12:13:30 PM
Quote from: bull on May 19, 2007, 10:31:46 AM

Well , Bull, why put up the picture then if you don't like it ?
Good thing you don't own one, you wouldn't deserve it. :flame:
Let me see - A factory two door car , leather and power seats + windows, hideaway headlights, a 440 TNT motor, a tranny tweaked by hurst,unique fiberglass hood and decklid, special paint scheme,hood pins, first use of that type of rims. Heavy duty suspension. Total of 485 made.   yeah thats nothing special  :rotz:

And I'm betting stock to stock , any 300Hurst would have spanked your personal Charger.

Do you just bring up topics to rip on them later in the thread ?

Somehow I fail to see the connection between that car and the new Chargers you detest.
  The 300 Hurst was never marketed as a "granny car" , but instead as the bankers hotrod - an iron fist in a velvet glove.

But hey , at least you are consistent in your hating and got another jab in against the current chrysler offerings, Good job weaving in a little discontent in a totally unrelated topic....  :2thumbs:

Your discontent is a little more apparent. I just expressed an opinion about a car, you act like you want to go a couple rounds. :boxing_smiley:

1. I put in the picture because the thread topic is "granny cars," my like or dislike had nothing to do with it.
2. The pics and comment are from last May.
3. I don't give a FF if it can beat my Charger or not.
4. I didn't bring this topic up.
5. Banker's hot rod=:sleep: The thing has no innate styling except for all the bolt on/stick on stuff you mention above and it looks to be a good 2 1/2 feet longer than a Charger.
6. Sorry my three-month-old opinion didn't set well with you. I'm not going to lose and sleep over it, ok?

Try not getting personally offended when people express opinions opposite yours. It's not worth getting worked up over. :icon_smile_big:

69bronzeT5

I dont know if a granny ever drove my car...but it sure looked granny-like way back when. (The 69 in the pic actually isnt my car but its my car's twin)
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Nacho-RT74

I know somebody would kill for the 300 Hurts
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Todd Wilson on August 10, 2007, 10:48:20 AM
2 years ago this unit popped up at a local auction place. It went for about 800$. I tried to buy it but my cheap self set a max price and it went over it a little bit. Looking back I shoulda bought it. Wife has a brand new car and she says now she is tired of car payments so this would have been a good replacement for her.

And estate sale car. 1975 Dodge Brougham. 318 car. 100000 miles. Excellent shape. A little rust on the rear wheel well area but nothing terrible. Would have been a good driver for a long time yet.

I thought those came out just on 76
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

500hp_440

My granny had a SWEET Jag I forget how old but it had the racing engine all original, but she traded it for a new convertible spider :brickwall: they gave her like $4k fior it I was so mad, I had asked her to give it to me when I got my liscence, O well I have the charger now, I think its faster.
Let it alone^.

bordin34

Here are two (not so) granny cars. I know the hardtop is all original and is local.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Back N Black

When i was growing up in the late 70's early 80's any A-body or large C-Body were "Granny" cars. Would not give them a second look.  :Twocents: :Twocents:

moparstuart

Quote from: Back N Black on January 15, 2009, 05:09:05 PM
When i was growing up in the late 70's early 80's any A-body or large C-Body were "Granny" cars. Would not give them a second look.  :Twocents: :Twocents:
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

whitehatspecial

Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

Ghoste

My wife always refers to 2nd gen Chargers as "little old lady cars" so I guess I like granny cars.  :D