News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The Daytona Is Finally Getting Worked On Updated 6-11-07 It's Almost Done

Started by 71ChallengeHer, May 14, 2007, 09:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71ChallengeHer

Well, the Daytona is home. But Shelby is not happy. :pity: I'm really disappointed in Troy's work and his attitude about it. Keep your fingers crossed we get it straightened out before Carlisle.

TUFCAT

Manfred318

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.

71ChallengeHer

Ok, where to begin. Talked to Troy after I got off work on Friday. And he told me I needed to pick the car up that night cause they were having a family reunion there the next day. So I went down to get the car and run to the car wash. When I find out about 1/2 the bulbs to the taillights are laying on the back floor with the mud flaps. In the hatch a hand full of screws and bolts that I have no idea where they go. Troy told me it would be fine for Shelby to drive it to the show on Sat. So we headed home from the carwash, no way taking it to the show with 1/2 the taillights out.  The next day in the daylight. We found at least 5 runs in the paint. And 1 nice glub of clearcoat. Dirt in the paint. A fly in the clearcoat of the hood. The tips of the spoiler aren't painted. They bitched up the corners of the hood into the fenders. Plus Troy painted the stripes the color he wanted not what Shelby wanted. There is paint on the windows and mirrors. The light pink so I think they left the garage door in the paint booth open and it blew out on the car. I called Troy about it and he told me FU don't bring the car back and don't pay me the rest of the money.

69bronzeT5

That sucks BIG time Jackie!!! He sounds like sorta an a$$hole.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

jasonfromIKILLYA

that sucks.  sorry to hear.  there's not much you can do either.  if you take him to court, it will cost you more than it's worth, and at the end of the day, eh would have to make it right, so you know he won't. 
"Great souls have always received violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Einstein

TUFCAT

This is typical of SOME PAINTERS (notice I didn't say all). The painter-customer relationship usually gets bad at the end..... and I really don't know why, A  HUGE percentage of people who've had their cars painted would never recommend their guy. That's very sad because this can be a huge opportunity for more business if its done right. Reputation is everything in this business - and I think some of these guys breathed in so many paint fumes they have forgotton this.  A happy customer (and their car) become a rolling billboard for any shop. 

70charger_boy

Speaking as a former painter I can say this.  You can't please all the people all the time.  If I have a customer come in and tell me he wants his car painted tangelo and I tell him it won't work( I come to this conclusion from years of experience) the customer says that is what I want and you will paint it.  When it looks like crap then the customer goes balistic.
I'm not saying this is the case with Jackie, but if you want it to look great just learn to do it yourself.  It really takes years to get it down. 

jasonfromIKILLYA

This is a problem in all of the service industries.  I recently left an 11 year career in the painting industry and I've seen lots of this.  The problem is that the skilled trade industry is just that, skilled TRADES.  Not skilled businessmen.  Anyone with the ability to complete a trade can start their own "business" by just doing side jobs constantly.  Unfortunately, it's easy to get in over your head.  For some, they just can't handle a full business. and for others, they work for themselves because they do not want to have to answer for their less than standard actions to anyone else.  Of course, if you ask them, they are the best in the world.  I cannot stress the importance of researching before hiring a professional (AND DO NOT DO IT YOURSELF) and don't forget, you get what you pay for.  It's usually expensive, because that's what it costs to do it right.  Get several estimates and it will become obvious who is overcharging and what a fair price is.
"Great souls have always received violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Einstein

71ChallengeHer

I have no problem paying for the job. But I want it done right. He's the one that talked Shelby out of the photoshop version. Personally I really don't care about the color of the stripe. It's all the other isssues. Because the only way he can make it right is to repaint the whole car. IMO

Charger-Bodie

that sucks Jackie ! as a body shop owner i see guys like that out there , way too many people do the work by what they can get away with instesd of just doing it right. The way ive always looked at is that my reputation is worth more than the price and i wouldnt be satisfied with it as my own it simply isnt done!! now dont get me wrong anyone can get a fly in the paint or a little overspray , its what you do about it that matters cause if he would have taken care of it you wouldnt even know it was there , right? i kinda wondered about the shop when you were posting pics, with the lack of parts removed such as moldings window trim ect . sad part is it dont sound like he cares AT ALL so i doubt youll get him to stand behind his work. best of luck!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

TUFCAT

Quote from: jasonfromIKILLYA on June 21, 2007, 08:27:13 AM

"This is a problem in all of the service industries".

"The problem is that the skilled trade industry is just that, skilled TRADES.  Not skilled businessmen."

"Of course, if you ask them, they are the best in the world."

"I cannot stress the importance of researching before hiring a professional (AND DO NOT DO IT YOURSELF) and don't forget, you get what you pay for."

"It's usually expensive, because that's what it costs to do it right."

Jason, you're right in many aspects. Just using home repair (as an example) I get so pissed off at some of these so-called service companys - that I'd rather,  and in most cases, end up doing most of the needed work in my home myself.  I've come to the conclusion that nobody can do any trim work in my own home better than me because I have more pride.  Most of my work looks better than a professional - - but it probably took me five times longer  :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

Regarding paint work, this is not something most people can do themselves.  Even if I could,  I'd be way too fussy (and nervous) to do my own car.  Regarding price. Whatever the price, if the agreed upon work is completed and acceptable for the price - -  then you got what you paid for. This is true whether your getting a $750 or a $7,500 job.  The problem is.....and always will be..... somebody not delivering what they said they would do.  :flame:  - TUF.

jasonfromIKILLYA

very true Tuff.  I don't know where you live though, but there are companies out there who will do high quality, quick work.  The company I just left does multi-million dollar homes in NYC.  We've done Sean Connery, Natalie Portman, the heads of Goldman Saccs, the ambasador to Monaco, and many stock brokers, etc.  You just have to find the right company.

69bronzeT5

bordin34

It really stink that something like this would happen to you. I hope it gets sorted out somehow, good luck.
Quote from: jasonfromIKILLYA on June 21, 2007, 11:54:57 AM
We've done Sean Connery
Every time I hear his name I think of celebrity jeopardy on SNL.  :smilielol:  :lol:

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

71ChallengeHer

Well, we found somemore problems. Paint is already cracking and chipping off. And he cut the wire under the hood to the light, instead of unplugging it. :brickwall: And he cut a wire in the hatch that we have no idea what it goes to. And the rest of that wire fell inside the car. :brickwall:

68chrgrwife

ok Jackie it is definatly time to kick some a$$.  You paid for a service..it should be done right...
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

69bronzeT5

70charger_boy

Geeze, did you turn him down for a date or something.  It sounds like a job for the A-team

bee_fishy_6869

Man, this is really upsetting. It's definitely half assed and the job lacks quality control. A lot of us would never bother  letting a car leave the shop if its not complete not to mention street legal. No rear lights? That's a safety issue there and somebody is held liable, the techinician. What if you were night driving and slammed the brakes, but buddy behind didnt see and you end up getting in an accident. The car aside your personal safety is at greater risk.

I really don't get people with this type of work, or lack of. You really have to have ZERO pride in your job when it comes to stuff like this. I don't care how late it gets, if a car has to go and you made the promise to the customer for completion, all the parts are to be returned and functional as were intended. If not, call the customer and say its not ready. Shops who put out this type of work give a lot of quality shops a bad rep.

I'm sorry that you and shelby had to go through this. It's just a whole mess of a situation.
Have any pics of the paint job?

Cheers,
Bee

71ChallengeHer

We just figured out what wire he cut in the hatch. He cut the rear window defoggers. :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: i'll take some pics tomorrow.

TUFCAT

WHAT A HACK!!!  :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:   NOBODY CUTS WIRES!!!!  :flame: :flame: :flame:

Post his phone number so I can personally tell him WHAT A F#CKING HACK he is!!!

Charger1973

What the hell is this guys deal?  You cant just let this one go... 

71ChallengeHer

Don't I have a hot wire inside the car now ? From the rear window defogger ?         tufcat, if he doesn't staighten it out I'll PM you his # ;)

Charger1973

Quote from: 71ChallengeHer on June 21, 2007, 09:41:44 PM
Don't I have a hot wire inside the car now ? From the rear window defogger ?         tufcat, if he doesn't staighten it out I'll PM you his # ;)

I would think so...  I wouldnt hit the rear defrost button just incase...