News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 Dodge Daytona Photos needed

Started by MoparManJim, May 14, 2007, 05:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoparManJim

I need some help you all, I need afew photos of 1969 Charger Daytonas Engine Bays. I have a model that I'm working on and the fricking enegine bay is to dorn small, the engine fan won't fit in with the motor as the rad is in the fricking way. I'm moving the rad suport ahead by a hair to get the suport to fit right with the fan on the engine to fit in with the rad in place. I need the photos to help me out with the locations of the oil presure, engine temp. stuff like that. I'm building a 426 hemi daytona model.

Jim

hemigeno

Jim,

The Daytona engine compartment would be the same from the radiator yoke back as any Charger R/T having the same engine configuration, with the exception of a rerouted headlight harness and some overspray in areas that wouldn't be present on any other Hamtramck-built car.

I can post some pictures of my engine compartment if you need, but the temperature and oil pressure sending units are in the same place as all other RB engine cars.  Hemi's did have a funky heat shield over the oil pressure sending unit to protect against heat damage from a manifold heat exhaust tube that is sorta closeby - but again, that would be on any Hemi-equipped car.

MoparManJim

hemigeno, yes please post afew pohotos if you would please. I kinda figure they was the same but I need to know where the temp and oil stuff is located at as all I have is small block diagrams here and I'm working on a big block model not a small one. So it does kinda throw me off. Any help would be great. 

Jim

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Brock Samson

perhaps if ya' shave the back of the fan so it nestles tighter to the water pump,.. what model, what scale?..

MoparManJim

Quote from: Brock Samson on May 14, 2007, 07:38:38 PM
perhaps if ya' shave the back of the fan so it nestles tighter to the water pump,.. what model, what scale?..

Brock, your not going to belive this, lol but even with that part shave off it still doesn't fit in there as the fan and the holder is still right in the rad area. I'm working with a 1/25 scale 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona. making it into a hemi model  :coolgleamA: . I have already shave a hair line from the top of the brakey on the shell and a hair line out of the lower part of the front of the frame. Just to get the stuff to line up. I also chop the middle of the rad out and push it back into the opening of the rad suport hole. it now looks like a tranny cooler LOL. but that darn one spot had me  :brickwall: for alittle while. all I need now is the engine photos on the wiring of the dash gages, I have a wiring diagram here that I'm also using. The model is a Revell model and I thought they made the good detail kits that went togother right? ???  :-\ 

Jim

hemigeno

Here are two shots which show the sending unit locations on a Hemi:

1.  Oil Pressure

2.  Temperature sending unit hole (I couldn't find one of my engine showing the actual sending unit since it's kinda hidden by the alternator bracket).

pettyfan43

Jim, Which KIT do you have (Revell, AMT, Testors?) I might be able to help.

kab69440

Sounds like you're stuffing a 1/24 Hemi into a 1/25 engine bay... :D
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

MoparManJim

Quote from: hemigeno on May 15, 2007, 08:42:38 AM
Here are two shots which show the sending unit locations on a Hemi:

1.  Oil Pressure

2.  Temperature sending unit hole (I couldn't find one of my engine showing the actual sending unit since it's kinda hidden by the alternator bracket).

thank you bro! thats what I was asking for.. thank thank thank you so very much. Your a saver for the the photos. Now I can keep working on the model thanks to you my friend! 

Jim

MoparManJim

Quote from: pettyfan43 on May 15, 2007, 10:03:21 AM
Jim, Which KIT do you have (Revell, AMT, Testors?) I might be able to help.

Revells

1969 Dodge Charger Daytona. Red car on the box. 

1/25 scale

Jim

MoparManJim

Quote from: kab69440 on May 15, 2007, 10:07:54 AM
Sounds like you're stuffing a 1/24 Hemi into a 1/25 engine bay... :D

no askly, there both 1/25 scale engine, the hemi part I took from my junk GL model that is gone. It was a 1/25 scale model also. I also check out my Lee1 model at the engine bay and it does look like that the daytona bay is afew hairs smaller also. But I will say this though.. on the daytona model I had to take an trim down the shock towers in the front just to get the motor in there.   

Jim

pettyfan43

You shouldn't have to trim anything on the car to get a Hemi in the thing. I have built that car several times, This one is the exact same kit with a revell Hemi. The kit actually came with a Hemi the last time it was issued.

You are putting something together wrong.

MoparManJim

Quote from: pettyfan43 on May 15, 2007, 10:42:38 PM
You shouldn't have to trim anything on the car to get a Hemi in the thing. I have built that car several times, This one is the exact same kit with a revell Hemi. The kit actually came with a Hemi the last time it was issued.

You are putting something together wrong.

sorry bro, but my model car and your model car isn't all the same car. I look at your photos and the out side does look right but the engine bay is different though so is the motor that came with mine. I only had a I think a 383 engine or it might have been a 440 engine only. I test fited the engine and the rad suport afew times before the fan was on an it fit great but soon as I stunk the fan on it didn't even fit and when it did it was like slanted / that way. so I had to do some triming to get it to look like "l" that with the fan on the engine. I think they might have reissued the kit and its alittle different. 

Jim

pettyfan43

Jim Here is the deal.

If you have a REVELL 69 Charger Daytona that is red on the box, THIS IS THE SAME KIT! I know which car you say you have, and I KNOW which one I built this car out of. I have been building Model cars for 32 years. I have 85-90% of the Mopar muscle cars that were done in kit form.

If you have a PLASTIC Daytona Charger model and it has the engine compartment molded into it, THIS IS THE KIT. THIS kit has been released TWICE. Once as the car you have, the other time as the one in the pictures I posted. THEY ARE the same car, the one that is currently out just had the optional racecar parts removed from the kit. I have about 10-12 of these kits. They are all the same thing. It comes with the 440-4 speed in the kit now. IT used to have that PLUS a Hemi.

It has a wire mesh grille in the one you have. When they did THIS ONE it had the same grille, PLUS it had racecar dash, Hemi emblems, Charger Emblems, Hood pins and a racing fan. The Hemi is identical in size and parts to the one in the 67 GTX/Coronet R/T and the 67 Charger. They go into this kit with no trouble.

I have done all of this more than once.

TRUST ME when I tell you, This is the same kit, The ONLY WAY you have a different kit is if you have a Testors lincoln mint METAL BODIED car or the old AMT car that was orange on the box. That thing is a lost cause anyway. It's horrible. There have only been 3 models of Charger Daytona street cars, the Revell kit is the ONLY ONE that comes with a 440.

Why you think this is different, I don't know, but it is the SAME MODEL, the body casting and all the other parts are the same exact thing.

MoparManJim

Quote from: pettyfan43 on May 16, 2007, 12:23:22 AM

TRUST ME when I tell you, This is the same kit, The ONLY WAY you have a different kit is if you have a Testors lincoln mint METAL BODIED car or the old AMT car that was orange on the box. That thing is a lost cause anyway. It's horrible. There have only been 3 models of Charger Daytona street cars, the Revell kit is the ONLY ONE that comes with a 440.

Why you think this is different, I don't know, but it is the SAME MODEL, the body casting and all the other parts are the same exact thing.

well my model didn't come with the hemi badging, I just check last night to see, no noda. I'm not calling you a lier or anything. I made sure both motors was the same size in scale.. but mine didn't come with a hemi ir came with either a 383 or a 440 motor. I also check my box for the hemi heads and no noda nothing. maybe I got a defective kit? I thought they was all the same also. I know you been building models for 30 plus years. 

Jim

pettyfan43

The Hemi badges are photo etch, they are addons. like I said, the pro modeler version of the kit came with a big fret of photo etch emblems, plus the hood pins, and the racecar dash.

And the new version of the kit is the exact same kit, just without the cool extras. I REALLY wish they hadn't done that.

Sorry if I sounded snippy or anything, it was late and i was beat and have been fighting a pulled muscle in my back that was giving me fits yesterday.

I didn't mean to sound that way.

MoparManJim

Quote from: pettyfan43 on May 16, 2007, 01:08:27 PM
The Hemi badges are photo etch, they are addons. like I said, the pro modeler version of the kit came with a big fret of photo etch emblems, plus the hood pins, and the racecar dash.

And the new version of the kit is the exact same kit, just without the cool extras. I REALLY wish they hadn't done that.

Sorry if I sounded snippy or anything, it was late and i was beat and have been fighting a pulled muscle in my back that was giving me fits yesterday.

I didn't mean to sound that way.

no worries bud, I hope you get feeling better soon. 

Jim

UFO

moparmanjim,  You are having issues because the two kits you are using came from different manufacturers.Even though they`re both 1/25 scale,parts do not interchange that easily.

MoparManJim

Quote from: UFO on May 16, 2007, 05:54:37 PM
moparmanjim,  You are having issues because the two kits you are using came from different manufacturers.Even though they`re both 1/25 scale,parts do not interchange that easily.

okay, 1st off its mostly all the same kit, all I did was just change the heads to hemi heads that was on my General Lee kit motor. thats all I change was just the heads, everything else is the same kit. 99.9 is the same kit the same model, I also know another guy that is also having the same trouble with his now. and he's doing his box stock with everything from the kit itself and the fan doesn't fit in the model with the rad in place. The fan is askly in the rad area.. like it was on mine. he had to do the same thing I did an trim alittle out of the frame in the front and also alittle out of the middle part of the shell in the front. maybe we both just got kits that didn't come out right is all.. who knows. but I will say this nicely all I did was just take off the hemi head of the General Lee motor and stuck them on this model engine which they fit nice, I'm not having problems with the sides it the lenth is all. To be honest it feels like the model is a 1/24 scale and the engine is a 1/25 but its all out of the same box though but for the hemi covers though. 

Jim

pettyfan43

Do this, Cut the bottom of the lower most fan blade a little. It is probably hitting the shroud. OR shave the shroud lust a little.

The way i put these things together is to put the engine in the car with the fan and all assembled, THEN put the radiator support in with the radiator and shroud glued to that. That will usually get it in there just fine. Most likely something isn't lined up exactly right.

That kit can be a little aggravating if EVERYTHING isn't just perfectly in place.

Try that.

Brock Samson

the testors metal daytona has the the fender scoops in the wrong location!  :brickwall:

pettyfan43

Quote from: Brock Samson on May 16, 2007, 09:56:49 PM
the testors metal daytona has the the fender scoops in the wrong location!  :brickwall:

The wing is off too.

MoparManJim

pettyfan, I didn't have the rad fan sureound on yet and the fan was in the rad area already, just think if I had the sround on it wouldn't have fit to begin with bud. Thats why I had to trim some of the stuff out to get the rad to fit with the suround on now. the fan is also in place fits good sence I did the triming work. I had to litery trim afew hairs out to get the stuff to fit right.   

let me see if I can do a drawing here. 

--- *  &
II  * Y
II  * Y
II  * Y
II  * Y

The -- is the rad suport top, the II is the support, the * is the rad, the Y is the fan belts, The & is the suround. That how it was before I did the triming on the front. 

Jim

pettyfan43

Jim, I can't make heads or tails of that, sorry.