News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who is HLPAG?

Started by RoscoePColtrain, May 14, 2007, 10:03:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoscoePColtrain

How's it going Charger fans,

I am looking for a 1969 Charger.  I've always wanted one since the Dukes of Hazzard came on tv.  I finally have the means to get one or start a partial resto on one but have a few questions: 

Who is HLPAG and what have they done and what are they infamous for???  I've been on their site and they are pretty tempting.  I considered a car from them, but upon further inquiry, it was sold a month later.  I've heard stories of patching up holes with cardboard and bondo'ing over it and noticed the side marker lights are always missing.  Assuming one goes to their garage and inspects the car with intent to purchase is ok, am I missing something here?

Kind Regards

hutch

search this site.  I think lots of people have been burned by them over the years from what I have seen.
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

Charger74

Who is HLPAG and what have they done and what are they infamous for??? 

INFAMOUS FOR SCREWING ANYONE AND EVERYONE OUT OF GOOD HARD EARNED MONEY.  Usually with rust bucket piles of junk.....

Bandit72

Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

RoscoePColtrain

Holy crap, that charger is rusted to $hit.  Pardon my lunacy, but I'm assuming AirborneSilva physically looked at the car before pruchasing it?

Khyron

Further reason that we need a "Screwed over by HelpGag" thread sticky ;)

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

CharlieCharger

Just stay away from those a$$holes is all you need to know about them. :yesnod:
Earth. Even the word sounded strange to me now... unfamiliar. How long had I been gone? How long had I been back? Did it matter? I tried to find the rhythm of the world where I used to live. I followed the current. I was silent, attentive, I made a conscious effort to smile, nod, stand, and perform the millions of gestures that constitute life on earth. I studied these gestures until they became reflexes again. But I was haunted by the idea that I remembered her wrong -Solaris

BB1

Delete my profile

Lee01

As far as the side marker, most of the General Lee didn't have them.
I guess the Shop Chop could use any 68-70 front fender.
Cleaner line too.

HLPAG, to see one in close up, let say they could use glasses.
Look to be complete, let me rephrase that: Look complete but need everything.
Current ride:
2012 Boss 302 YB #0664
2018 WRX
2018 Crosstrek
2004 SRT-4
WTB 68-69 Charger

bordin34

This seems like another one of those threads about them when we eventually realize that it probably is them.
Go Away, if you are them, if not stay.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

CharlieCharger

Quote from: bordin34 on May 14, 2007, 02:06:59 PM
This seems like another one of those threads about them when we eventually realize that it probably is them.

He has a Canadian E-mail address? So who knows..Has that happen when they have came on this board?  :rotz:
Earth. Even the word sounded strange to me now... unfamiliar. How long had I been gone? How long had I been back? Did it matter? I tried to find the rhythm of the world where I used to live. I followed the current. I was silent, attentive, I made a conscious effort to smile, nod, stand, and perform the millions of gestures that constitute life on earth. I studied these gestures until they became reflexes again. But I was haunted by the idea that I remembered her wrong -Solaris

bordin34

Im not sure but usually they start the thread with a very similar question and low post count then disapear.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

CharlieCharger

Quote from: bordin34 on May 14, 2007, 02:28:17 PM
Im not sure but usually they start the thread with a very similar question and low post count then disapear.
I suppose the nickname would imply as well, since most of there sales are general lees  :yesnod:

Old Moparz

Whether it's a legit forum member or not, or whether they stay on the site or not, it still can't hurt to at least mention that a place like hlpag will wait until you bend over, then screw you with a broomstick wrapped in sandpaper & not use any lube. The expression "there's a sucker born every minute" also means that there is someone new to be taken advantage of on a regular basis. There are new people becoming new fans of the old Chargers all the time.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

CharlieCharger

Quote from: Old Moparz on May 14, 2007, 03:04:19 PM
Whether it's a legit forum member or not, or whether they stay on the site or not, it still can't hurt to at least mention that a place like hlpag will wait until you bend over, then screw you with a broomstick wrapped in sandpaper & not use any lube. The expression "there's a sucker born every minute" also means that there is someone new to be taken advantage of on a regular basis. There are new people becoming new fans of the old Chargers all the time.

I can't help myself join the controversy though...Help me!  :icon_smile_big: Kidding.

JMF

I'm no way siding with HLPAG here but just out of interest do these people who have been screwed by them actually go and look at the car before buying? Because no offence to anyone who has but you have to be stupid to buy a 38 year old car unseen if this is the case

Troy

Quote from: JMF on May 14, 2007, 03:52:38 PM
I'm no way siding with HLPAG here but just out of interest do these people who have been screwed by them actually go and look at the car before buying? Because no offence to anyone who has but you have to be stupid to buy a 38 year old car unseen if this is the case
Which, unfortunately, is their business model - preying on vulnerable people who have dreams of owning a General Lee (made famous by a show promoting good and honest values). They do sell other cars as well but the concept is the same. However, the answer to your question is both yes and no. The typical customer is probably one who hasn't purchased a classic car before and doesn't spend a lot of time researching on the internet. They are generally also "green" when it comes to spotting problem areas, incorrect/missing parts, or shoddy body work. The "buyer beware" argument is a fine one until you realize that the company is intentionally using this approach to defraud their customers. They've even joked about it in the past (such classy guys). Once upon a time (it may have changed since) you had to pay a fee to even look at a car on their lot. They claim they did this to weed out the riffraff. No picture taking allowed either. I'd say that a very large percentage of their customers purchase sight unseen (based on their pictures) and get the drop-off-at-midnight delivery service.

Going back to my "class" comment - business ethics and customer satisfaction are not something these guys care about. Their attitudes toward past and future customer (and pretty much people in general) are enough to give themselves a bad name. They've been banned from nearly every car forum on the internet. In my experience, I have not heard of a single person who has received what was promised. One of their ex-employees is a member here along with several of their customers. Their stories are documented so I won't recount every one.

Quote from: bordin34 on May 14, 2007, 02:06:59 PM
I do have to comment on this... yes, on the old site they would randomly create new user names to promote their business and/or provide "happy customer" testimonials but they were quickly found out. I'm not aware of it happening since the site changed. Please send me a link if they have.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Rack

Troy hit the nail on the head. I didn't buy my '68 from HLPAG but I got screwed nonetheless.

Got an "R/T" - that I'm pretty sure isn't really an R/T, just got the dash switched out - with a running 440 engine. Ended REALLY getting a 383 that hadn't been started in years. Eventhough the auction CLEARLY stated it had a 440 in it Ebay claiimed they could do nothing about it. They said engine size - despite that it ADVERTISED a 440 - didn't matter. They said it could of had a 4 cylinder in it and they would be able to do nothing. I don't see how they can allow people to get away with false advertisement and still be in business.

The sad thing is there was another '68 charger right here in Texas (the one I got was in cali) that went for 2K cheaper but only had a 383 in it. I got the one in cali cuz it needed a little less body work and had a 440. If I'd known the SOB was lying I would of bought the one here in Texas. Would of saved me a lot of money from shipping costs too.

mikepmcs

There are other people that build general's around that are more decent and their product seems to be on the upside.

I've heard people saying good things about Scott Lea and Smith bros.  Everyone has their favorites. 

I bought mine from a man in TN by the name of Danny Johnson.

you can read more about this here.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,23235.0.html

v/r
Mike

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

70charger_boy

This guy can't be from HLPAG cause his screen name isn't in caps followed by a YEE HAW!!!! and I'm pretty pissed, because I am roscoe_p.coltrane!!!!

Big Lebowski

Who is HLPAG? Satan. :icon_smile_evil:
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

73dodge

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!

SeattleCharger

Quote from: RoscoePColtrain on May 14, 2007, 10:24:59 AM
Holy crap, that charger is rusted to $hit.  Pardon my lunacy, but I'm assuming AirborneSilva physically looked at the car before pruchasing it?

The point is is that their description of the car was nothing like what the car turned out to be.  Someone that misleads and scams and cheats and lies about a car to someone that much?  Can't trust em.  And since they screwed over a fellow site member so bad, and did nothing to take care of him, SCREW THEM. 

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Rack

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on May 14, 2007, 10:49:13 PM
Quote from: RoscoePColtrain on May 14, 2007, 10:24:59 AM

The point is is that their description of the car was nothing like what the car turned out to be.  Someone that misleads and scams and cheats and lies about a car to someone that much?  Can't trust em.  And since they screwed over a fellow site member so bad, and did nothing to take care of him, SCREW THEM

And may they rot in hell.

miamivice

if you want a General Lee, do yourself a favor and call the Smith Brothers!

www.smithbrosrestorations.com

...stay away from the HLPAG crooks...