News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Piston balanceing..........is it worth the trouble on a stock street motor...

Started by bandit67, May 01, 2007, 10:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit67

Guys, your opinions please. After having one of my motor rebuilds years ago , I saw how they drilled the pistons to get them all at the same weight. So, having time to piddle, I done a set to see how hard/easy it was , and started doing all mine that way. What I'm asking is, even though I am not having the whole motor balanced , is there any advantage to even up a set when you just bore a block and reassemble.   J

Chryco Psycho

can`t hurt although the gain will be minimal without balancing everything

67_Dodge_Charger

Balancing the motor will be around $150.  The engine will perform better and last longer, hmmmmmmmmm.  How much are you spending on the rebuild and can you afford another rebuild in two to three years.

I would fork over the money for balancing.   :Twocents:

Robert

firefighter3931

Quote from: 67_Dodge_Charger on May 02, 2007, 10:04:42 AM
Balancing the motor will be around $150.  The engine will perform better and last longer, hmmmmmmmmm.  How much are you spending on the rebuild and can you afford another rebuild in two to three years.

I would fork over the money for balancing.   :Twocents:

Robert

:iagree: Balance the whole rotating assembly and use good ARP rod bolts.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

bandit67

I understand balancing is always the best. But this is the stock motor two barrel 318 Mopar assembled in 1972 . NOTHING has been changed but reground the crank and punched the motor 30 over. Since this is a matching numbers complet car I am keeping it stock..........even the two barrel. How much will this car be driven , very little, since this is like my number 12 or 14th car. Ya just have to cut it off somewhere.  I have three more Mopars to get roadworthy.  I am going thru a 340 for a 73 Chally I just bought and am just salivating to get started on my 73 Charger , four speed , 440. Those will be driven more and I will spend more on the rebuilds.  But , as a piddler , I like to learn and do as much as I can ............thanks for your input...........J

Challenger340

Just how much did you lighten the Piston set ?

Usually, as long as they fall "in range" for weight of the stock parameters, it'll run fine. +/- 10 grams.

Stock Chrysler balance was "out to lunch" anyways, and they seemed to run fine all those years.

ps; if you've got 1 or 2 duds that are "off", stick 'em in the middle of the motor.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

bandit67

Thanks for the comments , 340. They were less than 10 grams apart, and I was not aware of how much they could vary weight wise and not be noticed in a street motor..............J