News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to identify a 8 3/4 pumpkin.....

Started by Blakcharger440, May 20, 2007, 11:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blakcharger440

How can you identify just by the pumpkin or "chunk" that you are indeed looking at a 8 3/4 rearend and not a 8 1/4 rear or something else???

moparguy01

the 8 3/4 chunk rolls out the front of the differential, and has its own case. then there is some numbers on one of the sides, itll have 489, 741 or 742. this will have the yoke on the front of it too, or at least the splines to mount it.

the 8 1/4 rear end rolls out the rear of the housing, this will look just like a ring gear on a carrier. thats it.

bull

Chryco Psycho

if it has the Cst Iron carrier it has to be a Mopar 8 3/4 , it is the only diff designed this way , all other diffs had have the carrier with the axle tubes welded to it

Blakcharger440

I forgot which is the best carrier. The 489 or 742 ??? Is it the 489 or cone type that is considered rebuildable?

Chryco Psycho

either are strong , the 489 has the crush sleeve which can be replacedwith a spacer , the crush sleeve is the weak link in the 489 so I like th e742 better or use the 489 with a spacer
the 489 SHould have a cone type unless someone has replaced it , the cone is not rebuildable , the clutch type si