News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Proposed street racing law in Ontario

Started by RoscoePColtrain, July 04, 2007, 01:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoscoePColtrain

To all the Ontario Charger owners, what has been your experience with the police when you are driving your cars around (apart from a car show) and maybe doing a little over the speed limit?  Has anyone been harassed by the police becasue they think you will illegally race it or think its got modifications that are not street legal?  Since the Ontario government is talking about a proposed street racing law.

Ghoste

I haven't had any hassle but I don't live in Toronto.  I thought that law was already in effect?

RoscoePColtrain

I think its an addendum to whatever law is existing... with the addition of seizing your car and crusing it.

Ghoste

The Naderites are slowly but surely taking over.

whitehatspecial

Here in the northeast, and specifically CT cops don't bother muscle car guys unless they're doing a smoker or something dumb. The old days of get pulled over for "illegal" equipment are pretty much over. I've seen open headers, drag slicks, no hoods, no bumpers, just about everything that used to be taboo, and the cops look the other way.

The young guns who drive the imports, are the ones that are targeted. I guess they have to pay their dues just like us older gearheads have in the past.

:METAL: :METAL: :METAL:
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

70charger_boy

Quote from: whitehatspecial on July 05, 2007, 06:57:36 PM
Here in the northeast, and specifically CT cops don't bother muscle car guys unless they're doing a smoker or something dumb. The old days of get pulled over for "illegal" equipment are pretty much over. I've seen open headers, drag slicks, no hoods, no bumpers, just about everything that used to be taboo, and the cops look the other way.

The young guns who drive the imports, are the ones that are targeted. I guess they have to pay their dues just like us older gearheads have in the past.

:METAL: :METAL: :METAL:

:iagree:  I live in CT and have never had a problem with cops in my musclecars, but I see alot of tuner imports pulled over and impounded.

I like to drive slow so everyone can see my car that I slaved for years to get running and looking good

Brock Samson

Charger1973

Quote from: RoscoePColtrain on July 04, 2007, 01:39:39 PM
To all the Ontario Charger owners, what has been your experience with the police when you are driving your cars around (apart from a car show) and maybe doing a little over the speed limit?  Has anyone been harassed by the police becasue they think you will illegally race it or think its got modifications that are not street legal?  Since the Ontario government is talking about a proposed street racing law.

Whats the proposed law say?   :shruggy:

Ghoste

It sounds like an addendum to the existing statute.  Currently, it is illegal in Ontario to have preformance enhancing modifications on your vehicle and the police have imperious powers in determining what that means.  It could be nitrous, it could be a stroker big block or it could be non stock tires.  If I am reading Roscoes post correctly, they are going the route of some of the American states whereby after deciding you have modified your vehicle for the purpose of racing, they will confiscate and crush said vehicle.
It's sad if it's true.  Last I heard, driving was a privilege but property ownership was a right.  :insertsarcasm:

RoscoePColtrain

The new proposed laws are as follows:

Dangerous Driving - No bodily harm or death:

Now: Summary conviction or imprisonment up to five years

After: the same

(A summary conviction is reserved for the least serious offences in the Criminal Code. In general, it means a fine of up to $2,000 or six months in jail - or both.)

Dangerous Driving causing Bodily Harm

Now: Up to 10 years in prison

After: Up to 14  years in prison

Dangerous Driving causing Death:

Now: Up to 14 years in prison.

After: Potential for lifetime imprisonment

Criminal Negligence causing Bodily Harm:

Now: Up to 10 years in prison.

After: Up to 14 years in prison.

Criminal Negligence causing Death:

Now: Maximum punishment of life in prison

After: same.

What happens to your license if you get caught? Here's the rundown:

First Street Racing Conviction

Dangerous Driving - No Bodily Harm or Death: 1 to 3 years

Dangerous Driving causing Bodily Harm: 1 to 10 years

Dangerous Driving causing Death:  1 to 10 years

Criminal Negligence causing Bodily Harm: 1 to 10 years

Criminal Negligence causing Death: 1 year to life

Second Street Racing Conviction:

Dangerous Driving - No Bodily Harm or Death: 2 to 5 years

Dangerous Driving causing Bodily Harm: 2 to 10 years

Dangerous Driving causing Death:  Lifetime ban

(Applies only if an offender has two convictions where someone was injured or killed as a result of street racing, and at least one of these offences caused a death .)

Criminal Negligence causing Bodily Harm: 2 to 10 years

Criminal Negligence causing Death: Lifetime ban

(Applies only if an offender has two convictions where someone was injured or killed as a result of street racing, and at least one of these offences caused a death .)

All subsequent street racing convictions:

Dangerous Driving - No Bodily Harm or Death: 3 years to life

Dangerous Driving causing Bodily Harm: 3 years to life.

Dangerous Driving causing Death:  Lifetime ban

(Applies only if an offender has three or more convictions where someone was injured or killed as a result of street racing, and at least one of these offences caused a death .)

Criminal Negligence causing Bodily Harm: 3 years  to life

Criminal Negligence causing Death: Lifetime ban

(Applies only if an offender has three or more convictions where someone was injured or killed as a result of street racing, and at least one of these offences caused a death .)

Source: Ministry of Justice

Ghoste

That's different than what I thought then.   If they actually catch you and convict you of a crime, that's one thing, but the bit where the inspecting officer decides if your vehicle has been modified and it's then sent to the crusher is a little too draconian for me.