News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Has anybody heard of the 360 stroker kit to 426?

Started by Mo Power, May 10, 2007, 08:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mo Power

Well I dont know much about engines at all since I've had very little experience since I've never rebuilt engine or anything. But exactly what would you all need except a 360 block and the stroker kit itself and is it really worth the money to turn a small block in to what I would call a giant step bigger. And what would something like that even run for horsepower after finishing and I was thinking setting it up with a six pac setup wouldnt be to bad. Because I'm curious as I've never heard of anybody turning a small block stroked to a 426 and I guess to me that would be a very powerful small block. Thanks for any info
1973 Charger SE
1972 Roadrunner-1 of 34 power sunroofs                                
          Crazy colors, Wacky decals, and Massive engines
                      That's what Mopars alll about

Mike DC

It's do-able.  A big stroker crank could push a 360 up that high.  Heck, with an aftermarket engine block you could go a lot higher than even 426.

But there's so much more to engines than just the raw displacement figures.  There's rod geometry, bore spacing/cooling, piston weights, durability, cylinder head size, etc. 
A 360 small block that's built up to 426 cubic inches won't be the same thing as a 426-inch big block. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look around at what combinations people are building, and you find a lot of 400-410" small block stroker motors.  That's mainly because there are cheap decent 4.00" stroker cranks available for the 360, and this is about the size that the 4.00" cranks end up producing in the finished motor. 

You could do another setup and push the motor up to 426 inches, but the few extra cubic inches may or may not be worth the trouble & money it takes to get them rather than just doing a 400-410" stroker.  Displacement isn't exactly the only place where spending money creates more power.  It all depends on your budget and what you're specifically wanting to do.