News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

When does a tranny need rebuilding?

Started by HeavyFuel, May 11, 2007, 04:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFuel

Hey, we are all for saving a couple bucks and some time/effort when we can, right?

The 727 out of my '68 worked fine before I completely disassembled the car a couple years ago.  The car did sit for years and years (indoor) before that, with very few miles put on it.  The mileage showed just about 70,000.  Now it is getting close to the time to put it all back together again. 

I am just wondering what I should really need to do the the tranny.  Just replace the input and output shaft seals? (the output is leaking badly)  Any other seals I should look at?  Obviously the filter, fluid and pan seal need the be changed.  Is there enough wear and tear on it after 70,000 miles to warrant a total freshen-up?

The 440 did get a rebuild, as well as the rear end (bearings and seals).  The car is going to be factory stock, not a fire-breather.

Any advice?

John_Kunkel

The only way to inspect the internal seals is to disassemble the trans and if you're going to do that you might as overhaul it.

Time can be as destructive to rubber as miles, if it's been a lot of years since the last overhaul I would do it now and get it over with.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

idahogrumpy

I just tore apart a 727 that was working (fine?) when it was pulled from the car. (Needed some parts for another trans) This transmission was behind a small block, mileage unknown. I found that it had a broken diaphragm spring in the rear clutch pack. You will really never know until you open her up and have a looksy!   Grumpy
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY
Modified 73 440 Charger, 03 Intrepid SXT, 02 Neon and 2001 Ram 1500 .

HeavyFuel

Yeah, that's kinda the way I was leaning.  Thanks, guys.

Silver R/T

might as well put in shift kit, upgrade it
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

68chargerboy

if its out just rebuild it know alot less head aches

HeavyFuel

Quote from: Silver R/T on May 12, 2007, 11:52:45 PM
might as well put in shift kit, upgrade it

I have considered one, but I don't want to feel "jerks" at each shift, just smooth quick shifts.  What do you suggest?