News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steve Strope 70 Charger

Started by Ghoste, May 11, 2007, 01:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mefirst

That Charger would have looked good in black. The orange paint job looks :puke: same as the orange buttons in the seats.. If it was my ride and my money, they would have had to redo the paint job, same goes with the stupid looking orange buttons in the seats..

I just don't understand the need to paint every single car, most of these "Foosifiers" build, in a two tone colour. I think that kinda paint job got old after the first one they painted that way...

Brock Samson

:scratchchin: that stripe would look good in a different color, turned around and on a chevy...  :icon_smile_wink:

PA Dodger

I've been going to Mopar shows for many years now. When I started going, I loved looking at all the cars. Now, many years later, I'll stop to look at a top-notch restoration and appreciate every aspect of it. But I get bored looking at another Charger, Challenger, Roadrunner etc.. with the same paint, and the same orange big block, and the same way-too-small tires.  I agree with Autodynamics about the state of customizing a Mopar. It seems to be so unheard of, but why? I'm working on my '69 Charger and look for ideas from many different sources such as Norway, and Mr. Angry and many others on this forum along with Strope and a few others that do big-money cars. No, I didn't like the stripe, nor did I like the dash, and no the seats weren't my taste either. But, I do like the clean firewall and the stance of the car, and the fact that there is a back seat even with tires that wide.  I liked the idea of reworking the front bumper to get rid of the rubber filler strip that always looked like an afterthought fix from the factory. I also admire the fact that they used the original suspension design.
Just my opinion. If my B5 blue Charger looks like your B5 blue Charger, which looks like his B5 blue Charger..... everyone will look at the first car and move on.
Dan
BTW- Yes I had a B5 blue Charger and loved it. But, it's Plum Crazy Purple now.

'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

autodynamics

FINALLY...............................IM NOT ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND WELL PUT

dpm68

Actually the photos are far from mere snaps and were done very well, but alas, I cried when I saw that guy putting the cutting wheel to the column bracket...the rest was not much better.

Lowprofile

Quote from: NorwayCharger on May 15, 2007, 03:29:33 PM
Only thing i did not fancy much is the paint design, other than that it is quite nice..

I really love the body lines of the 68-70 chargers, but when i bought mine in may 2000 first thing i did not like was the handling.
When i hit the gas pedal, it was scary :o.......all over the road.
Turning corners in hi speed felt like the car was made out of jelly..
So my dream was to make the nose heavy Charger to handle better, and more fun to drive.
And i tell you guys, IT IS A LOT OF FUN TO DRIVE ;D
Better brakes, stronger engine, more hi-way friendly, better handling, better sound insulation, better car IMO.

If some people do not like it, it´s ok.
I like it. ;D

I agree. Other than the paint design, I kinda like it.  :D
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Rack

That charger would of looked evil if it were in all black. Hell, even paint all the chrome trim black. Would of looked kicka$$.

That orange on it ruins it. Not so much cuz of the actual color orange, but because of the design of it. And I agree about the buttons.  :puke:

MadScientist

Im liking this thread......

Ive heard it said that a good design will split people 50/50.  50% will hate it and 50% will love it.  The fact that this is being discussed as much as it is must say something about the design...

That being said, we (on this board) do have a knack for ....   :horse:

:lolexplode:

MS

bill440rt

Quote from: Ghoste on May 12, 2007, 09:56:19 AM
Is it just me, or do all of these high profile customizers seem to have a very piecemeal approach to the changes they make on these cars?  68 taillights, 71 instrument cluster, aftermarket seats?  Change for the sake of change?

I don't mind the paint, wheels, or overall theme of this car. But I DO agree with what Ghoste has to say here. Why the '68 tail lights, '71 dash, etc? That is the only really hideous thing that bothers me. Those round '68 tail lights are absolutely beautiful, but look so out of place with a '70 nose. I'd rather see a custom '68-'70 dash in place than to hack a '71 dash to fit, it just doesn't match in that car.
Otherwise, I like the rest of the stance & look.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

70charger_boy

I would hate to post any pics of my customized 70 charger.  You guys would rip me to shreds!!! The Strope charger looks great.  It's a MOPAR aren't all mopars great?

autodynamics

at last some custom fans here..... :punkrocka: :punkrocka: :punkrocka: :punkrocka: :punkrocka:

Ghoste

Rip it to shreds is maybe the wrong way to look at it.  Customizing means you are changing it to what YOU want.  If somebody else, hell, if nobody else likes it, you shouldn't care.  I'm not big on customizing and I would likely be one of the critics, but the very reason I started this thread was because I am trying to be open minded about it.
Quite honestly 70 boy, I would like to see pics of your car.  The things I am picking on with the Strope car, and almost all of what Foose does, are things that are changed for the sake of change.  If you are customizing something because it bugs you the way it is and you think your way improves on it, then get on with it.
Maybe I am just too unimagnative to do those things myself and that is why I prefer what the factory gave me.  Ever think of that?

chargerboy69

Quote from: 70charger_boy on May 18, 2007, 02:45:49 PM
The Strope charger looks great.  It's a MOPAR aren't all mopars great?

I agree, the Strope Charger is bad ass. I would love to drive that car.

Not everyone like driving around on 14" wheels with bicycle redlines tires. The stock look is nice, but I prefer a lower car with wider wheels and tires.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Ghoste

Hey, those bicycle redline tires were cool and for the record, the bikes were imitating the cars, NOT, the other way around. (which is why we all wanted the Schwinn with the redlines in the first place)(those of us born in the 60's but too young to drive, that is)

autodynamics

like we have said before...if we all had b5 blue 69 charger's then how boring would that be.... i understand the "stock" guys point of view, however we live in a now society, a stock 69 68 70 is beautiful!!!!! but lets face it these cars were never intended on being any thing other than straight line performers hence the 14" wheels the drum brakes, but to me and these other mopar cutomizers, reality is here and since we have the technology to change what is the weak point then hell lets change it!!! to many people on this board have this "oh noooooooo" attitude, but here the first ones to have a cell phone and a big screen tv. Why not use a dial up phone and get yourself a black and white tv set. like ive said before we should all embrace the aftermarket and think out of the box. dont get me wrong i love you guys that are concourse however it gets a bit boring when you see one after another after another after another..........improve your charger!!!!

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: autodynamics on May 18, 2007, 05:34:35 PM
like we have said before...if we all had b5 blue 69 charger's then how boring would that be.... i understand the "stock" guys point of view, however we live in a now society, a stock 69 68 70 is beautiful!!!!! but lets face it these cars were never intended on being any thing other than straight line performers hence the 14" wheels the drum brakes, but to me and these other mopar cutomizers, reality is here and since we have the technology to change what is the weak point then hell lets change it!!! to many people on this board have this "oh noooooooo" attitude, but here the first ones to have a cell phone and a big screen tv. Why not use a dial up phone and get yourself a black and white tv set. like ive said before we should all embrace the aftermarket and think out of the box. dont get me wrong i love you guys that are concourse however it gets a bit boring when you see one after another after another after another..........improve your charger!!!!

nothing against you or youre charger cause im a firm believer in the to each his own deal but you dont have to change the apearance of a charger to make it handle door handle s/m lamps and drip rails dont affect handling......brakes wheels tires sway bars ect can all be done without drasticly changing the cars look and by the way i keep in mind im not belittleing youre car or anyone elses !
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

autodynamics

so what are you saying that shaving drip rails is a problem? or lights ?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: autodynamics on May 18, 2007, 05:50:20 PM
so what are you saying that shaving drip rails is a problem? or lights ?

no thats not what im saying at all but you were justifing customizing with the handleing issues of stock mopars and what im saying is that my charger handles alot better than stock but my car for the most part appears factory stock i like moded cars that look stock and i like some that are customized youres included by that abomination of stropes that is the topic of this post is nasty imo and if some no name guy built it in his garage it would have never gotten a second look. period :puke:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

autodynamics

ok i understand!!!! i agree there is a very fine line on too much. some of foose's builds i dont like at all. the two tone thing doesnt belong on all cars. strope's falls in the same category. Its very difficult to do enough but not too much to any build. mopar/chevy/fords included. I undertstand that not everyone will love my car. maybe its too modern for them. but it's my idea what an ultimate charger would be. as far as petrol goes i like the stance/wheel/brake combo myself. interior..... ummmm not so much. 68 lights .....ummm ok but i view the entire build not just big wheel, big brake car with some nice paint. all in all every customizer has atleast one good idea i think all of us would do. the ideal way is look alt all the "customizers" and cherry pick the "good ideas" and leave the "not so good ones" behind. btw i dont remember you car (1hot68)

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: autodynamics on May 18, 2007, 06:11:22 PM
ok i understand!!!! i agree there is a very fine line on too much. some of foose's builds i dont like at all. the two tone thing doesnt belong on all cars. strope's falls in the same category. Its very difficult to do enough but not too much to any build. mopar/chevy/fords included. I undertstand that not everyone will love my car. maybe its too modern for them. but it's my idea what an ultimate charger would be. as far as petrol goes i like the stance/wheel/brake combo myself. interior..... ummmm not so much. 68 lights .....ummm ok but i view the entire build not just big wheel, big brake car with some nice paint. all in all every customizer has atleast one good idea i think all of us would do. the ideal way is look alt all the "customizers" and cherry pick the "good ideas" and leave the "not so good ones" behind. btw i dont remember you car (1hot68)

check this out [autodynamics] http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21037.0.html

autodynamics

Charger-Bodie

volk68

I think some of us just get a little too pretentious for our own good.  When I first saw the Strope Charger, I immediately didn't like the paint.  However, once I started really looking at it, there was a LOT to like about the car.  Was it what I would do?  No, but it looked like an aweful lot of hard work to me.  Similarly, many of us have "customized" cars, only they aren't tricked out, but rather built the best way we can afford.  Knocking this kind of thing can really put a damper on our hobby at times.

A quick example:  Many of you know my car and the story of how I came about getting it (if not, follow my sig for details).  I picked it up as a great deal from a paint and body guy who was tired of "normal" paint jobs and tried something different.  The bulk of my money has been spent on making the car mechanically sound and doing an interior resto.  I can not afford to mess with the paint right now, and frankly, I love the custom yellow anyway (it's the rest that needs changing).  Still, I will often drive the car and for every couple of people who love my car, there are others who immediately give me flak about the paint.  It is irritating to no end :flame: I feel for the owner of the strope Charger when the purists start telling him how bad his car sucks  :icon_smile_dissapprove:   

Ghoste

I think right now its just a promotional tool for some company.

Big Lebowski

Ok, but the painted grill just eats me. I've had 3 '70 Chargers...One time I gave the front grille a shiny rattle can job like this Chargers grille. Then I said to myself..."Self, that looks like crap." That was 18 years ago.
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."