News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Pics of aftermarket A/C units?

Started by bull, April 02, 2008, 06:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: bull on April 04, 2008, 05:45:12 PM
Sorry for the tangent but is this the cruise control mechanism?

yes.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

bill440rt

Thats me Bill. Did you buy the serpentine kit we talked about? My car was a non a/c car and i want a cleaner look. There is no reason why they cant be routed neater and with my hemi I am not sure the drier will fit like it does with the wedge. I plan to keep the lines on the right side and mount the drier by the condenser.

Hey, nitrousn!  :wave:
YES, I've spoken to him several times already in planning my setup. GREAT guy!! Thanks for the recommendation.  :woohoo:
I don't want to hijack the thread right now by getting off topic, but let's just say his serpentine kits are DA BOMB!!! Plans are in the works for mine, everything should clear a 6-pack air cleaner, & I'm able to run a mechanical fuel pump to boot!  :2thumbs:

I've just been going back & forth with CAA & your friend (I'll let him remain nameless at this time), to plan both kits together. I'll end up getting the compressor from him vs CAA. It's a tad more expensive that way, but all the serpentine pulleys will be the same number of grooves & I know all the pulley s & accessories will line up that way.

He sent me pictures of the setup on a few engines, including on a 6-pack. If there's enough interest & it doesn't get too far off topic I'll post them.  :whistling:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

BTW nitrousn, you might want to check with CAA on their HEMI setups. They may differ than the one they offer for wedges.
The picture MichaelRW has posted with his retro-fit setup retains the original condenser & hard lines, they enter on the passenger side. CAA's Perfect Fit setup uses an aftermarket condenser, which has the lines entering on the driver's side. That's why they criss-cross so much. I agree, there HAS to be a way of re-routing those lines for a cleaner look.
With the routing you described, you'll probably have to make custom hoses & tubes.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

68RT4ME

This is my set up from Classic Auto Air. Works great and at $1899.00 installed, I thought it was a good deal....
'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

MichaelRW

Quote from: bill440rt on April 04, 2008, 03:15:28 PM
Quote from: nitrousn on April 04, 2008, 12:37:39 PM
Quote from: Chatt69chgr on April 03, 2008, 09:51:30 PM
MichaelRW-----what you did is exactly what I am doing.  My high side lines will be routed just like yours.  Looks good.  The Sanden compressor uses a lot less horsepower than the old RV2.  It's what all the hotrodders use.  In fact, it's what most of the OEM's use now.

That is a lot better way to run the lines compared to the previous picture. Better yet would be to mount the drier by the condenser. I think I will get the CAA kit but custom make my lines.

This thread couldn't have come at a better time.
It looks like MichaelRW has installed the CAA Factory Conversion kit. Right, Mike? That kit is for cars with factory A/C. The Sanden compressor replaces the stock unit, & you retain the factory condenser & hard lines against the passenger fender apron. Nice, clean install, looks almost factory except for the compressor.

The CAA Perfect Fit system is designed for cars that did NOT originally have A/C. In that case, hose routing is like PocketThunder has pictured. I'm sure it looks cleaner once the hoses are tied & clamped in place. There are some pictures on CAA's website of this installed: http://www.classicautoair.com/images/MS-BBody6872Hood1L.jpg

I just got off the phone with CAA tech support, that is the only hose routing they offer with the Perfect Fit system. You could probably tuck the one hose under the compressor to hide it a little bit, so it doesn't run over the compressor.

And YES, nitrousn, I ordered my kit with the compressor lines uncapped. That way, I can mark them for length once everything else is installed for a custom fit. They said I can either send them back & they will crimp them free of charge, OR a local hydraulic place by me could do them. I think I might just send them back when I'm ready, if anything for warranty issues.
I ordered my kit without the compressor, as I'm going with a serpentine kit which comes with the compressor. My price was $1094 from CAA without the compressor.

PS - Are you the same nitrousn from Moparts??  :2thumbs:

Yes, my setup is the factory conversion kit for cars with factory A/C. Sorry for the delay as I have been offline until just now.
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

4aThrill

I have one from bouchillonperformance.com but it's not installed it yet, I think it was about 600 bucks for everything half then Classic air.  :nana:

squeakfinder

Quote from: 4aThrill on April 07, 2008, 06:19:28 PM
I have one from bouchillonperformance.com but it's not installed it yet, I think it was about 600 bucks for everything half then Classic air.  :nana:

I went to there website,

http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/BPEaircondition.asp

Did you have to piece everything together? Or do they have a kit? I didn't see one on there site.

Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

4aThrill

they have a kit with all the hardware, and then you buy the compressor and compressor bracket  separate but on the same order of course. last Christmas they had a deal 10 percent off so saved 100 bucks  :D  but I did my other things then the AC kit,compressor, and bracket but still thats a great deal on what they got too.  :Twocents:

PocketThunder

All done and charged up with Freon.  Blows a cold 40º at 60º air temperature.   :2thumbs:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

ChgrSteve67

bill440rt

Quote from: 4aThrill on April 07, 2008, 06:19:28 PM

Looking over the BPE kit, it appears once again this is a A/C CONVERSION-type kit. It's great for upgrading your original A/C system to a modern system. It doesn't include the compressor, which explains your $600 price (the kit is anywhere from $350-$375 depending on rad support size).

The CAA CONVERSION kit is about $500, but doesn't include the condenser. It's designed to be retro-fitted to an existing A/C car. Tack on the price of a new condenser, & it's probably not too far off from what you paid.

The BIGGEST difference here is that of an A/C kit for a NON-A/C car. Those are the $1200 kits, which comes with a new, required heater-A/C box for under the dash, vents, cables, compressor, condenser, the whole shebang.

BTW, Mr. UPS Man just delivered 2 large packages to my door yesterday.  :woohoo:  I wonder what's in them...  :scratchchin: