News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

So, what's your feelings about Harbor Freight® stores/tools?

Started by AKcharger, March 09, 2014, 05:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you thk about Harbor Freight

It's Awesome - Great place for tools
7 (11.1%)
It's Cheap Junk - I'll pass
5 (7.9%)
It's OK - I might buy one or two things there
38 (60.3%)
I'm too distracted by your avatar to answer
13 (20.6%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Old Moparz

The common choice is what I chose, "buying 1 or 2 things there".

It fills a void for a lot of us by allowing you to get a certain tool that is "somewhat decent" & will save you money on the project. I've bought a few items that work fine, but I sure wouldn't buy those same items if I used them every day. Offhand, I have bought the following.....

Electric vibrating sander
2000 pound engine stand (used)
Replacement casters on car dollies
Nitrile gloves
Outdoor thermometer
Tarps & bungee cords

The sander was $20+ & not something I use much. I actually bought it so my wife could sand a dulcimer she was making from a kit. It's not bad for the price. The engine stand is very strong & I got it locally used for $50 from a guy that used it once. It's another item that I don't use a lot but handy to have. They opened a store here a few years ago but it's not close enough to go to regularly. I'd probably go more often if it was as close as the Home Depot.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

squeakfinder

Quote from: Cooter on March 10, 2014, 05:02:59 AM
Ain't it funny how we will always try the cheapest damn thing before we always have to buy the more expensive one later?
As American consumers, it's like we can't control ourselves or something. It's like we know it's gotta be crap, but we'll try it anyway just to be sure...

I've purchased allot of stuff from them and I figure if these tools are  built in commie China there is no one to blame but myself if it turns out to be junk. I bought a framing nail gun on sale for $59.00. It's been great! Lot's of things built with it. Many more things will be built with it. A couple boxes of nails cost more than the gun. It's amazing that contractors think they need to pay 4 or 5 times for basically the same thing.

4 1/2  inch grinders? I've had one out of 5 fail with worn out switch but for $9.99 with a coupon how can I complain after using the hell out of it?
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

Steve P.

Today I set out to but a couple stationary wheels to add to my chop saw table. Most often when I use it I have no help to set it up and leaving it up takes too much room. So I started out with Home Depot where I found the wheels I wanted, but they were almost $9.00 each. Another guy in the isle saw me looking and mentioned Harbor freight having pretty much the same wheels for a hell of a lot less. My first thought was where they were made and American jobs. No I don't have much extra money, but I do love the idea of American jobs. So I looked for where these were made and damned if they are not made in china.. It wasn't on the wheels, but a box a few rows over. Same wheels but larger. Well, I had to go by HF so I decided to go look.. Not only did I find the same wheels there, but they were $2.99 each. Then they gave me 10 percent off for being a disabled Vet.  On 6.00 it wasn't much, but still, Depot stopped giving vets the 10%. These wheels are labelled for up to 175 pounds each and two on one end of a table weighing probably 50 pound or so surely should be fine.

So in this case I not only saved the money, but told HOME DEPOT to kiss my buttt!! Since I am a guy that loved family owned lumber yards and hardware stores, I feel mt teeny tiny buy from the OTHER GUY was a nice little slap in the face.. Ok, really teeny, but still. Depot chased out our locally owned CHASE PITKIN and that really sucked.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Old Moparz

I have an update on the outdoor thermometer I bought from HF, it seems a "little inaccurate" lately.  :shruggy:

The temperature outside was really nice one day last week, probably about 70°, but the HF thermometer was hovering at 98°   :lol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Musicman

I just picked up a couple of those flame topped bar stools they sell for my little cave in the garage... $20 each with the coupon.  :2thumbs:

ws23rt

Quote from: Steve P. on July 01, 2014, 11:07:18 PM
Today I set out to but a couple stationary wheels to add to my chop saw table. Most often when I use it I have no help to set it up and leaving it up takes too much room. So I started out with Home Depot where I found the wheels I wanted, but they were almost $9.00 each. Another guy in the isle saw me looking and mentioned Harbor freight having pretty much the same wheels for a hell of a lot less. My first thought was where they were made and American jobs. No I don't have much extra money, but I do love the idea of American jobs. So I looked for where these were made and damned if they are not made in china.. It wasn't on the wheels, but a box a few rows over. Same wheels but larger. Well, I had to go by HF so I decided to go look.. Not only did I find the same wheels there, but they were $2.99 each. Then they gave me 10 percent off for being a disabled Vet.  On 6.00 it wasn't much, but still, Depot stopped giving vets the 10%. These wheels are labelled for up to 175 pounds each and two on one end of a table weighing probably 50 pound or so surely should be fine.

So in this case I not only saved the money, but told HOME DEPOT to kiss my buttt!! Since I am a guy that loved family owned lumber yards and hardware stores, I feel mt teeny tiny buy from the OTHER GUY was a nice little slap in the face.. Ok, really teeny, but still. Depot chased out our locally owned CHASE PITKIN and that really sucked.

This is a good example that their is room to move on pricing. Home Depot is big enough to give the best prices on the import stuff like wall mart does but they are not yet doing so. :shruggy:

I like Home Depot mostly because it is very near me and I do a lot of home resto kind of stuff.

Thanks to your post I will compare more with HF.  For me a little drive is worth a little principal.

ACUDANUT