News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

May I have a peek at your 2nd gen. antennas? Odd part on mine...

Started by bull, May 10, 2007, 02:45:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

First, a question. Seems like I've seen both the telescopic and fixed antennas for sale and installed on the 2nd gen. Chargers. Did they come with both and if so what determined which one you got?

Secondly, please post some pictures of yours, particularly the tip and the hardware. I'm a little unsure about one part of mine. I never have seen this flat piece (pictured) included with any of the repop antennas. I'm referring to the part with the one jagged edge.

hemigeno

Curtis, I don't know if that's a correct antenna.  I've never seen the jagged-edge part on any antenna base from that era, and the tip doesn't look right either.  I checked and I don't have a picture of just an antenna tip, but I did snap one off of an NOS base that I'm using on my Daytona.  Best I can do ya for at the moment...

[EDIT]  I think the '68 & '69s came with just the telescoping antenna, but I could be wrong.  I know later years saw a lot of the fixed antennas, but I think that had to do with the switchover to an emphasis on FM radios. Sorry for the confusion if you read my earlier post [/EDIT]

:cheers:

Neal_J

Bull:

My 80,000 mile orignal '69 has the same base as Gene pictured with a telecoping mast.  I'll snap a pic tonight and post. 

I've never seen the jagged base thingy you have in any 2nd gens that I've dismantled.

Peace,

Neal

Just 6T9 CHGR

Looks like a support brace of somesort.  Also the bezel doesnt look too familiar for a Charger application.    Maybe an A body?

As far as the telescoping thing, Im not sure what was the criteria to get what.  I know the supersized telescoping one was to pull AM stations in clearer......ever fully "telescope" one of these things?   Can you say "Gypsy cab" long?  sheesh :rotz:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

68 RT

AM radios got adjustable mast AM/FM radios had fixed mast. You should see the antenna on my 57 Buick it must extend out 3ft!

bull

Quote from: hemigeno on May 10, 2007, 12:32:59 PM
Curtis, I don't know if that's a correct antenna.  I've never seen the jagged-edge part on any antenna base from that era, and the tip doesn't look right either.  I checked and I don't have a picture of just an antenna tip, but I did snap one off of an NOS base that I'm using on my Daytona.  Best I can do ya for at the moment...

[EDIT]  I think the '68 & '69s came with just the telescoping antenna, but I could be wrong.  I know later years saw a lot of the fixed antennas, but I think that had to do with the switchover to an emphasis on FM radios. Sorry for the confusion if you read my earlier post [/EDIT]

:cheers:

Does that notched bezel fit inside the flat one?

hemigeno

Quote from: bull on May 10, 2007, 04:14:01 PM
Does that notched bezel fit inside the flat one?

Yes, it sure does.  The flat one is recessed to receive the collar nut.

bull

Ok, I don't know what I have. I did see one similar to mine at the wrecking yard today that I think was on a Dart or Valiant. That's the trouble with all this stuff. Some guy tells you it's a Charger part and it looks right, so you don't want to pass on it, but when you get home and start investigating you discover it's not at all right. I've done this before. Fortuantely I've managed to get my money back out of these phantom parts most times. :rotz:

Spike

Those are not like any Chrysler antennas I have ever seen and I have seen a lot of them.
Metro Parts Company

Discounted antennas in the pictures!!

bull

Quote from: 68 RT on May 10, 2007, 02:12:33 PM
AM radios got adjustable mast AM/FM radios had fixed mast. You should see the antenna on my 57 Buick it must extend out 3ft!

Do we have a consensus on whether the mast is fixed or telescopic? Not that I don't believe you. :icon_smile_tongue:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Spike on May 10, 2007, 06:54:38 PM
Those are not like any Chrysler antennas I have ever seen and I have seen a lot of them.
Metro Parts Company

Discounted antennas in the pictures!!

Crap!   Thats some real depressing stuff right there :rotz:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Chatt69chgr

My 69 Charger had the AM radio and came with the extendable mast.  I think there were even instructions for adjusting the mast for best FM reception.  I have picked up a couple of the fixed length stainless steel masts from early 70's Mopars that were original.  The radios were gone from the cars so I don't know if they were AM/FM.  Interestingly, the fixed length masts screw into my original 69 antenna base and look just like they could have come on the car.  I think AM/FM was a pretty rare option on 69's but became pretty common in the early 70's.

RTPTRON

Hello Bull,

The original antenna on my 68 with an AM radio was the extendable mast.  The reproduction from YearOne that I installed after the paint job was very close to the original.  I still have the original but have been looking for it all afternoon to take pictures for you but can't find it. 

PS: Now I remember selling it on eBay

bull

Quote from: RTPTRON on May 13, 2007, 05:21:01 PM
Hello Bull,

The original antenna on my 68 with an AM radio was the extendable mast.  The reproduction from YearOne that I installed after the paint job was very close to the original.  I still have the original but have been looking for it all afternoon to take pictures for you but can't find it. 

Rats! Well, for me.

Did you get good money for it?

autodynamics

RTPTRON

Quote from: bull on May 14, 2007, 01:42:38 AM
Quote from: RTPTRON on May 13, 2007, 05:21:01 PM
Hello Bull,

Rats! Well, for me.

Did you get good money for it?

Not very much but it was bent and the chrome was not in all that great of shape.  However, it was original to my Charger.