News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Shelby's Super Coupe Project

Started by 71ChallengeHer, May 09, 2007, 12:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71ChallengeHer

The Super Coupe of Shelby was her godfather's 1st car. He was the 2nd owner. I think he bought it in 1986. And the original paper work was in the glove box. It was sold new from the Dodge  dealership here. Chad sold the Coupe to buy his house. And he always regretted selling it. In 1998  a friend of mine had a Super Coupe for sale, he has actually owned it a couple times thru trades and such. I ended up buying the Super Coupe from Rick.This was in 1998. I called Chad and told him I had bought a Super Coupe that looked just like his.It turned out it was his car. he made me promise if I ever sold it I would sell it to him. I sold the Super Coupe to Chad in 2000. Chad got really sick , he needed a kidney transplant . Shelby at that time send Chad's Super Coupe In to get Overhauled. But that never happened. He passed away 2 years ago. And he left the Super Coupe to Shelby cause she was the only one that loved that car as much as he did. So that's how Shelby ended up with the Coupe. So now we have to fix it up.

71ChallengeHer

The Super Coupe wasn't started for 6 1/2 years. We got it running last fall.

41husk

those are so cool, there is an Aspen R/T running around town.  How is parts availability for those?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

71ChallengeHer

more pics, yes it's a project.

71ChallengeHer

more

71ChallengeHer

I haven't had any problems getting parts for it, yet. My brother has a 79 Duster we are using for a donor car. And there is a place called F-Body Specialties. I have bought anything from them, yet.

Charger_Fan

Looks like a pretty decent project car from here. :) How's the interior & do you have the right rear window louver?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

71ChallengeHer

Yes, we have the louver , plus 2 spares off my brother's Duster. It needs carpet and a small crack in the dash pad. And a headliner.

Charger1973

Looks like a nice project.  What size motor?

71ChallengeHer

Matt, The original motor is long gone. It has a built up 318.

ramit

That is a great story about how she got the car.  I love those cars and have been thinking of buying one lately.

71ChallengeHer

Shelby's letter she wrote to Overhaulin' when Chad was in the hospital.                                    
Dear Overhaulin,
   My godfather, Chad, deserves to have his car restored for so many reasons. He's such a great guy. He is one of the biggest role models in my life. He has always been there for me as a father figure, not only because I don't have a father, but because he is just a very caring person.
   Chad has taken me to Hershey Park every summer because my mom has health problems and isn't capable of getting on roller coasters with me. Chad and I would get on every ride I wanted. He is very laid back, he always leaves those kind of decisions up to me. Even this past year he took me to Hershey Park, despite the fact that he was having kidney problems. He was so happy and energetic running around the park like a little kid. He didn't let his health problems bring him or anyone else down. The funny thing is was I was the one that was tired out and wanted to leave. If it wasn't for my mom and I dragging him out he probably would've stayed there forever.
   I'll never forget what Chad did for me in December of 2000. He took me to Disney World. I always dreamed of going but my mom couldn't take me by herself. He was one of the main reasons one of my biggest, childish dreams came true. Again we got on all of the rides I wanted to. He also took me in all of the cool restaurants, shops, and museums. He makes me laugh all of the time. Especially when he wouldn't wake up to an alarm in the morning and I had to go beat him with a pillow to get him up. I also laughed when he said "I'm tired", "I'm full", and "My legs hurt". I've never seen him worn out before and those were three things I never thought I'd hear him say.
   Hershey Park and Disney World aren't what means the most to me though. What means most to me is when he owned the pizza shop. Every Saturday my mom would go up and help him out by delivering pizzas. At first I'd just sit around playing pac man but one day I got bored and decided to go in the kitchen and see what he was up to. He was making pizzas and I wanted to know how to make them too. He decided to teach me. At times I would get frustrated because the dough would get stretched too much or I couldn't toss the dough in the air, but he never gave up on me. He never even got aggravated with me, actually I've never even seen him mad.  Eventually, though, the pizzas I made were good enough to be delivered. He taught me to never give up and to be patient. I thought he was awesome because I never learned anything cool like that from my "real" dad. Also at the pizza shop, when the business was slow or I got bored he'd give me something to do. He has never rejected my help or suggestions and he's a great listener.
   After we were done at the pizza shop he'd take me bowling. He was also very patient in teaching me how to bowl. He eventually even bought me my own bowling ball. Him and I even had this funny victory dance we'd do every time one of us got a strike or spare. He is the best father figure I could ever imagine. I've already learned so many things from him, fun and important. He is a great teacher and role model. I pray he pulls through and you pick his car to overhaul because he really deserves it.
               Sincerely,
               Shelby O'Brien (age 14)

bordin34

Great looking car, and that letter made my eyes tear.  :'(

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

TruckDriver

:drool5: :drool5: :drool5: Nice Super Coupe! I want it :yesnod:

You realize, that if Overhaulin' does a car for you, that the owner is responsable for the costs and or taxes to do the re-do. :P
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Ghoste

She's a helluva kid Jackie.  That is going to be a great car when she's done too.

pettyfan43

VERY cool car and VERY cool story. One little word of advice, I had a Dodge Aspen R/T and My uncle bought a Volare Road Runner new in 76. As soon as you get a chance, pull the wheel flares off and check for rust where they are. They are BAD to rust behind where they are, ESPECIALLY between the door and wheel.

Those cars are pretty neat, and I think they will be one of only a very select few Mopars from the late 70s that WILL be collectible.
The Little red express trucks are going up BIG, the Warlocks and power wagons will follow and pretty soon I'm betting, and one day, IT WILL HAPPEN, the Dodge Magnums, ESPECIALLY the 78 GT with the HP 400. THese WILL be collectible! .  They are the LAST cool B-Body and they have an XS vin number!

nh_mopar_fan

Nice!

I had one that was exactly like that one except that it was a T-top car.

71ChallengeHer

Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on May 09, 2007, 06:16:59 PM
:drool5: :drool5: :drool5: Nice Super Coupe! I want it :yesnod:

You realize, that if Overhaulin' does a car for you, that the owner is responsable for the costs and or taxes to do the re-do. :P
Yes, we know about the taxes but Chad passed away before we ever and never heard from Overhaulin'.

71ChallengeHer

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on May 09, 2007, 10:26:32 PM
Nice!

I had one that was exactly like that one except that it was a T-top car.
I wish it was a T-top. Plymouth made 37 and Dodge 43.

nh_mopar_fan

6670charger

The one Aspen model that was cool.   I certainly wouldn't pass one up if it was in decent shape. 
Proudly Confusing The Crap Out Of People Since 1963

ChargerRT440

do you have the website for that f-body specialties? I googled it and it only came up with a chevy f body website.

mikesbbody

that was quite a letter shelby wrote! i wish you both all the best and how's the paint coming along?

UFO

Heres a page from a dealer data book.That is a `78 right?