News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rod Side Clearances

Started by 69Chrgr, May 09, 2007, 09:12:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69Chrgr

Hey Guys, What rod side clearances should I see on my 408 stroker? I'm getting as much as .024 between #4 and #5 and as little as .008 between #7 and #8.

69Chrgr

beedees

IIRC, seems like about .014-.017. Might try swapping rods around. .024 seems a little too loose

firefighter3931

The .024 wouldn't concern me as much as the .008  :yesnod:

Did you mic the big end on these rods ? What brand are they ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

69Chrgr

They are Eagle SIR rods. I'm not concerned as much with the .024 as I am the .008. So you think I need to switch rods around?

firefighter3931

Quote from: 69Chrgr on May 10, 2007, 07:02:06 AM
They are Eagle SIR rods. I'm not concerned as much with the .024 as I am the .008. So you think I need to switch rods around?

I'm not sure switching rods around is the right answer.....the clearances are consistent on all the others.

I would mic a few big ends and compare what you have. Probably, either #7 or #8 rod is slightly oversized (width) and might need a touch up at the machine shop.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

69Chrgr

So do you think .008 is too tight? I've heard of some going as tight as .007. But not sure how valid or accurate their measurements were.

firefighter3931

Quote from: 69Chrgr on May 10, 2007, 09:02:54 AM
So do you think .008 is too tight? I've heard of some going as tight as .007. But not sure how valid or accurate their measurements were.

In a "performance" application i would prefer to have them looser than what you have(.008)....thermal expansion created by heat. Many have used large (.040) side clearances w/o any issues. BB chevy rods with 2.20 ends are narrower than the BB mopar rod....and those have been working well for years on offset ground stroker builds.  :Twocents:

The "if it were mine" answer would be to correct the clearance on 7&8  :yesnod:

Ron

69Chrgr

firefighter3931

You're welcome. Let us know how it turns out.  ;)

Ron