News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Viper calipers.

Started by BrianShaughnessy, April 27, 2007, 06:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianShaughnessy

This has been in the works for awhile ever since I was frantically trying to avoid the Bold Beeper at a stop light somewhere around West Point awhile back.   Got AndyF's brackets,  some 98 Viper calipers off ebay, braided hoses from raceshopper.com,  74 Dart drum spindles off moparts classifieds,  new grade 8  5/8 fine thread x 3" bolts and locknuts to replace the old castle bolts and nuts. 

Pic 1.   I got it together last Saturday and drove it down to the local cruise.   2 bleeders per caliper makes it a little tricky.      I had to get some cheap 3/16 wheel spacers from the local tire store to clear the Cragar S/S's.    Other wheels -  like the Hot Wheels and factory cop car wheels are known to clear these calipers.     Yes... you can see it say VIPER thru the spokes.   Pretty cool. 

Pic 2.   These showed up today.    11 3/4" drilled / slotted off a place called rotorpros on ebay.    Black powdercoated hubs.   I looked for drilled / slotted 11 3/4" mopar rotors in the past and came up empty.   Possibly they might be chinese cores but they're a nice weight / design for the price. 
   I'll be upgrading to longer Dorman 310-290 grade 8 studs and changing out those bearing races with some new Timken parts.   I also found a set of 1/4" billet aluminum spacers (for a Mustang) and will be using them in place of the cheap stuff.   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Silver R/T

nice setup how much was it?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Just 6T9 CHGR

Looks cool Brian.  let us know the result.  Hopefully its not as disheartening as mine :rotz;
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Silver R/T on April 27, 2007, 07:44:00 PM
nice setup how much was it?

You know that old saying about "If you gotta ask?"    My personal favorite is I don't wanna know.   To aid that I try not to add anything up because it gernally bums me out. 

I'm sure it would be competitive with an SSBC 4 piston setup.    It's more than a traditional A body single piston swap for sure.   I wish this setup would have been figured out when I did the original disc swap - I'm basically doing it over again.    Buy as much brakes as you can afford is another good saying.

Chris... I'll shoot a pic when I get it back together.   I haven't done anything about going to power and I wasn't planning on it.   Hope you get yours back together the way you want it.       

daytonalo

I need rotors for my 70 , please give me name of vender and how much you paid .

BrianShaughnessy

It was this auction that's the only one mentioned 11 3/4" rotors http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=8067682085&rd=1&rd=1
Their site is rotorpros.com .  If I search on cordoba rotors there are several that come up but only this one mentioned 11 3/4".    $180 / pair / shipped with the powder coat.     

They also offer an overall  black nickel coating  - Rick E. got a set off them after I told him for "testing" purposes.   Definitely Chinese bearing races  :-\     Changing them anyway.

BrianShaughnessy

Almost forgot to post...  it ends up looking something like this :cool:   I had to add some 1/4" spacers for the caliper to clear the cragars... some wheels will fit,  some won't.   

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?