News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cost of a new HEMI

Started by DannyG, August 23, 2007, 09:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DannyG

Can anyone tell me why a new crate HEMI generally costs about three times more than say a new crate 440 or 383?  I'm a mechanic and although I have never stripped a HEMI down, I do understand the difference in the two types of engine.  But the cost of a new HEMI seems to be outrageous when compared to a new bigblock without the HEMI heads on it.  I know there are different cam shafts and intake gear will differ but surely not that much.  Is it just me thinking its a marketing conn or am I missing something technical here?  I would be genuinely interested in hearing from you guys on this.

Troy

The top end is the expensive part - although there are many hemi-specific parts (all low production which raises the cost). The heads and valve train alone cost more than most complete 440s. On the bottom end, the crank, cam, balancer, rods, and pistons are unique to the Hemi although the RB crank/balancer and cam are interchangeable (just not "correct"). The Hemi oil pan fits all RB engines but it was different from the factory. The accessory brackets are designed to work with the big balancer. Check out the prices of the individual parts (like rocker arms and shafts for example).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

68charger383

I would add that your paying for the fact that by adding the 426 crate motor to your car it will probably add $20-$25K onto the value of the car...well on ebay. So they are taking a piece of the action by charging you more money for the motor.
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

DannyG

Thanks guys - I just read your replies.  Cheers,

DannyG