News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MY CAR IS ORANGE!!!!!! Why me????

Started by ChargerHound69, September 22, 2005, 11:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerHound69

:flame:  I gave my paint guy the code for Charger Red, when I came back from vacation he already painted it Barracuda Orange.  I have no idea what went wrong.  The code I gave him is almost the same, but it has a bunch of letters at the end. 

Now I will have to wait another month to get it the right color. :rotz:

Old Moparz

Sorry to hear that, but I hope he isn't charging you for this. Where I work, someone has a Cobra kit car. The shop that did the paint had the car for a couple of months, & the car's owner never went to see any progress on it. (Over an hour away) One day he was speaking with the guy at the shop when he mentioned something about the black paint being harder to do. "Black paint? It's supposed to be blue." he said. After a long pause, the guy at the shop started to realize he screwed up. The paperwork called for blue, but for some reason he did it in black.

He did offer to repaint it in blue at no cost & apologized, but wanted him to at least see it, take it home, & wait to see if he really liked it in black. That was 3 years ago & it's still black. It looks awesome.

How does the car look in orange? Was the work done nicely? I know I'd be pissed if a mistake like that was made, but could you live with it? Maybe the painter would eat some of the cost & make it easier on you to decide.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Shakey

Hurry up and get the General Lee decal kit and get that bitch on e-bay!  :icon_smile_big:

ChargerHound69

I just don't think I can live with it.   If it was a 69 I would put 01 on the doors and the Flag on the roof and call it good, but this is a 68 with magnum 500 and redline tires.   The original color was Charger red, not Hemi orange.   I have looked at a paint website and it shows that the codes are the same for both colors, the only thing different is the letters he has at the end of the code.   Those letters must make it orange.   The owner of the body shop will not be back untill later today, so there is nothing I can do yet.

Ghoste

So you don't even know yet why he added the extra letters at the end?

ChargerHound69

Not yet, when I went there this morning, I saw the car and asked the guy there where the paint was he used, he brought me a can that had the 71582A*****  I don't even know all the letters.  The can read Barracuda Orange.   I wanted the car to be painted in the original ditzler paint, just to look as original as when I bought it.  I will post the pictures later today.

hemigeno

The Ditzler code I have listed for 1969 Bright Red (R4) is 71582. 

Was R4 Red available in 1968?  I have seen "Red" and "Charger Red" listed, but I am not sure how Charger Red compares to 69's R4 Red.  Same, or different?

Either way, R4 red has a whole lot of orange in it.  When I first bought my Hemicar, the engine compartment was painted R4, while the exterior was V2 HemiOrange (the whole car was previously painted R4).  Very few people actually noticed, but I changed it after a year or so (it did bug me).  It depended on what light it was in as to how much it showed.

Good Luck on getting it straightened out if it is wrong!

ChargerHound69

Well, it is the same color as in 69, but in 68 it was a Charger Red.  I know it has orange in it, but this is a whole lot of orange.  I am sitting here wondering if the guy at the paint supplier just wipped up the first thing that popped on his screen with that number, added letters and all. 

I won't have any answers untill about 4:00 tonight.  All I can do now is wonder what in the world went wrong.

Old Moparz

I'll have to add, You should take as many photos as you can & start documenting everything. I mean absolutely everything! Things like when you dropped it off, when you spoke, what color it was to be, when you called, when you saw the car orange maybe even when you last farted. Get the paint can & photograph it. If you are correct with the color being wrong & it gets ugly, you need as much as possible documented in case you end up in court. If you're wrong & he's right, it's an expensive mistake to have it a color you didn't want.

Is there a chance the car was repainted the wrong color before you got it, & you assumed the red was the correct color?
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

ChargerHound69

I bought it off the lot in 1968 and the only other color I had it was Black.  There is just way to much orange in the color.  I remember it having orange in it, but this thing might as well be the show car for Sunkist.

I have pictures of everything, because your right, it is a very exspensive mistake.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

ChargerHound69

It is starting to look more like the color.  What do you guy's think??

hemigeno

Hard to say just from your pic until you compare it to either a V2 or R4 car.   Lighting can change the way a color looks in a big way too.

And I'm with Chris - Orange ain't so bad!!!

ChargerHound69

Well you can see the difference in lighting in the Picture.  It doesn't look as Orange as it did to me the other day. 

I am going to just keep it this color.

Once the black vinly top and the back of the car are painted it might tone it down even more.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Orange/red is a very hard color to capture in a picture and reproduce on a PC screen.
As Geno stated light plays a big part as well.

Look at these 2 pics of my car.

First one is in bright direct sunlight.   Next one is under cloud cover.

My actual name for my color is SpectraMaster Red made by DuPont.

PS---did they paint the outside of the car before the trunk etc?.........gonna have to do a lot of taping now ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

ChargerHound69

I have no idea why he painted the outside of the car, before he painted the inside.

FourSpeedRT

My '68 is painted 331 Charger Red. It is a very strange color. It seems to change with the light also. Sometimes it's a bright blazin' orange,other times,it almost looks blood red. I didn't think I was going to like it at first,but being it was supposed to be on my car,I thought it should be there.....would not have it any other way now..........

RallyeMike

QuoteI have no idea why he painted the outside of the car, before he painted the inside.

Some body guys prefer to do the jambs, etc. after the body - the reason: When the paint is cut and buffed its a whole lot easier to do the flat panels of the body rather than the jambs, trunk, etc... if there is overspray. One way or the other, you still have to tape stuff off.

Red is for Ferarri's, and oranges are for eating. Gimme porta-potty blue!
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/