News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cut the car? or cut the pan??(pics)

Started by bmoparmofo, May 04, 2007, 11:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmoparmofo

Just got the new floor pan from year one, do you guys think I should cut the floor to fit the pan or cut the pan to fit the floor? ??? I think I should cut the new pan, my buddy says cut the floor :sick:, I might be wrong, thats happened once or twice.... :rotz:Let me know what you think please, The welding starts tomorrow :yesnod:
69 charger 383 t5, 67 newport 383, 67 newport custom 383

bmoparmofo

terrible one

I would cut the pan to fit. I'm pretty sure that's what most people do, and it sure seems to be the most reasonable way.

ck1

Just plz take care of that rust while those inner frame rails are open like that :yesnod:
CJK

moparguy01

I cut out enough of the floor so that there isnt any rust left. If that takes the whole new floor pan, then so be it. but I wont leave rust behind. I've actually had to extend the replacement panel because i had to go higher up the sides than it provided. but I do prefer to fit the floor pan to the car....it just doesnt always work that nicely.

bmoparmofo

I've been trying to clean them up..... :D

bull

There's something freaky about seeing those torsion bars in the open like that.

nh_mopar_fan

:yesnod:

that's exactly what i was thinking.

ck1

me too, that looks horribly rusted too.............um...........fix that too plz ;D
CJK

Mike DC

Cut enough of the car's floorpan to get the rust, and no more.  Cut the repro part after that.

When it's a coin toss, you'd rather have the original metal than the new stuff.
The reproduction sheetmetal parts are always worse than the original stuff in both the fit and the metal quality.

moparguy01

exactly mike. like lower quarter panel patches, i see guys put the whole thing on when they only need 2 " of the bottom of it. The original sheet metal fits! Leave it if possible!

bmoparmofo

Quote from: ck1 on May 05, 2007, 09:18:28 AM
me too, that looks horribly rusted too.............um...........fix that too plz ;D
I'm not sure where your from but considering its been in Michigan its whole life and its been sitting in a garage for 21 years this is pretty normal for an unrestored car, at least there arent any holes in the frame etc....I am getting around to cleaning up everything I can.It will get there.

Steve P.

Since you have it down that far you should blast all that rust out of there.. If you don't it will return with a vengeance..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Arigmaster

Quote from: moparguy01 on May 05, 2007, 11:46:12 AM
exactly mike. like lower quarter panel patches, i see guys put the whole thing on when they only need 2 " of the bottom of it. The original sheet metal fits! Leave it if possible!

^^^^   "GUILTY!"