News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Creative Industries building as it looks today

Started by Ghoste, May 04, 2007, 06:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Chris G. on May 07, 2007, 05:46:47 PM
Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on May 07, 2007, 05:40:24 PM
Ill take full credit for it ;)

I can see Larry coming to pick you up from here.  ;)

:shortbus:
Being the flamboyant guy that Larry strikes me as, I bet his version of the short bus is similar to this. :icon_smile_big:

Cool pics Ghoste, even if the were in separate posts. ;D
Is that fenced area large enough to be the same as this pic, or is this a different holding area?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

mikepmcs

WOW!!! Now, that is MINTY!!! :cheers:

I'd like to have a driveway like that!!!
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

nh_mopar_fan

Didn't Creative do the Aspen Super Coupe and Volare kit cars as well?

Ghoste

It might be big enough (just) to cram those in there but if those two pics are of the back lot at Creative, they had them stuffed in there tight, tight, tight.  :o

69_500

They appear to be so close to each other that they would have had to DOH it out the windows. Not a whole lot of room to open doors on those.

Ghoste

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: Ghoste on May 09, 2007, 03:45:47 AM
It might be big enough (just) to cram those in there but if those two pics are of the back lot at Creative, they had them stuffed in there tight, tight, tight.  :o

I bet it was at the factory...  (the photos)...  Maybe when they did the count of 500 peices?  (Had them all together... 

daytonalo

Thanks , but it was a normal short bus !!!!!!!!!!

hemigeno

Quote from: Charger Aficionado on May 12, 2007, 11:28:16 AM

I bet it was at the factory...  (the photos)...  Maybe when they did the count of 500 peices?  (Had them all together... 

While that sounds plausible, I don't think that all 500 cars were ever together at one time, or even taken back to Hamtramck after the conversion was complete.  From all indications, the cars were shipped out directly from Creative Industries to the respective selling dealers.  On top of that, the first batch of cars shipped out in mid-August, and I personally don't think all the conversions were done by then.  The goal was to start converting the cars around June 1st, but I suspect they were a little behind schedule and didn't start to go full bore until a few days or weeks later.  Maybe someone else knows about how many cars per day they were able to get done, but it wasn't that many.  I'd wager that they were still converting cars right up until the last shipment went out just a few days before the September 13th Talladega race weekend started.  Otherwise, why would they have pushed everything down to the wire like that?

Creative's lot didn't have to be big enough to hold all 500 cars at one time, since the unconverted cars that wouldn't fit on their lot could have been shipped to Creative on an as-needed basis once the dealer shipments started.  That's all just my educated guess, though.  Also... to my knowledge there was never a physical count made of the cars themselves.

I'm pretty confident that the Daytonas-on-the-lot pictures were taken at Creative Industries, but no one can say with 100% certainty (even the aerowarriors.com page where those pictures came from couches it as "likely").  Someone standing on the roof of Creative's building could easily have taken those shots, and it makes the most sense by far.

:Twocents:

Ghoste

Not to mention that I thought I read something once about bringing cars through the building more than once so the NASCAR inspector counted them twice?  Or is that just urban legend?
Creative was close enough to the Hamtramck assembly plant that it would have been easy to bring some over as needed and that would also provide empty trailers for outgoing shipments.  Only one possibility of many though.  Who knows?
There aren't that many cars in those pics, about 30 if you total both together.  You can cram 30 cars into a fairly small space if you need to.

Ghoste

I'm going to be going by there again in a couple of weeks so I'm going to make a point of getting some pics of the lot with something in there to provide a size comparison.

DoubleDlover

Well. If you look at the one charger about in the middle of the pics. You can see that the rear plug has just been installed and filler or primer still incircles it. Hasant been painted or wing installed yet. So. I dont think the factory would need that car back untill it was finished. And im sure it didnt get dane at the factory. So. Its probably at creative...

Aero426

Quote from: Charger Aficionado on May 12, 2007, 11:28:16 AM

There is nothing to suggest that the  photos were taken anywhere other than the roof at Creative.   It's obvious given the layout of the yard, and the hauler photos around the front side THAT WE KNOW were taken there.    It just makes sense.   Actually, if you look at the negative numbers on the original photos, I will bet the cars in the back and the haulers in the front are probably all out of the same sequence.   Those photos even if they were not published as press photos are typically marked on the back with a factory ID number. 

As mentioned, nobody has ever said that all the cars were present at one time to be counted.   There was really no reason to do this.     The car counts were more likely certified off paper lists sent to ACCUS,  the Automobile Competition Committee of the United States.   ACCUS handled the certification for all the sanctioning bodies whether it be USAC, NASCAR, ARCA, etc.   NASCAR relied on what ACCUS came up with.   Is it possible that a representative would visit Creative to see progress?  Yes.    Could NASCAR cross check the serial number list by randomly checking with dealers to see if the cars were really in stock?  Yes. 

hemi-hampton

Ghoste, So where in Detroit is this place, I live in Detroit, Know most of Detroit & even worked at Creative Industries (the Newer version known as Masco-tech, now MSX) at Lynch road & Mt. Elliot in Detroit Making Vipers & Prowlers, ect, ect But I still dont know where this place is? Let me know, I wonder how many times I drove by it & didn't even know it?  LEON.

Ghoste

On 10 Mile between 94 and Gratiot.  It's on the left side about halfway between the two as you are driving from the offramp to Gratiot.  I think Brittany is the side street?

DC_1

I love those old photos of the Daytonas and 500s in the lot. These are another fav pic of mine.

hemi-hampton

Ghoste, That sure is a real Coincedence, I work exactly a 1/2 mile away from there now, At a bodyshop on 9 1/2 mile (stephens) near Brittany. I'll check it out on my lunch break tomorrow with it being that close. I noticed that Brittany sign in your Picture & thought maybe by me but you saying near Mancini threw me off since thats about 8 miles north west of there in different city. LEON.

Ghoste

Yeah, but I live 50 miles away and that is the route I take to Mancinis so for me, it's right around the corner.  ;D

hemi-hampton

Drove by there on Lunch break, Trying to imagine the back lot full of Daytona's. Sure wish I could time warp back. LEON. :scratchchin:

daytonalo

WE CAN WORK THAT OUT FOR YOU !!!!!ACID OR MUSHROOMS !!!!!!!!!! :icon_smile_big:

Ghoste

Imagine trying to park a loader out in front on Ten Mile today and get a bunch of those wild looking cars loaded up!  :o

hemi-hampton

Neither, How about Mescaline. Ghoste, I'm sure Traffic is much heavier nowadays plus it's like 4 lanes wide now. Bet it was only 2 before. LEON.

Ghoste

Well, I was only 7 in 1969 but I do recall it being less travelled.   I have family in Ferndale and Royal Oak so back in the day, when we were over for a visit, it wasn't uncommon for my dad to take me over for a quick stop at that now defunct but once famous speed shop on Gratiot. :icon_smile_wink:

hemi-hampton

Do you remember Custom Speed Interprise on Gratiot way back in the early 80's? LEON.

tan top

been checking you pictures  , intresting stuff  :yesnod: thanks for posting (ghoste) :thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html