News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Front suspension removal questions...*pics*

Started by Rack, May 04, 2007, 01:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rack

I'm removing the front suspension from my '68 charger, but I've hit a bit of a road block.

How do you remove this (and what is it called so I know for future reference)?

Here's a sideview...

Also, after I remove this bolt, should that section (below) slip right out? Seems like it should, but it wouldn't How do I get it out?

And last, but not least... how do I separate these two (and please don't tell me to spray them with a water hose :D )?

I see the nut there but can't get any leverage on  it to turn it. I can stick a screwdriver in one of the slots, but I don't want to damage it. Is there an "easy" way to do this w/o causing damage? I may be being a bit over cautious (just getting started).

Thank you!

Chryco Psycho

the first 2 pix are the caster strut rod , you need a small punch to drive out the roll pin then undo the nut , the other end has a nut on it also
picture 3 you need a pickle fork or a ball joint press toll to separate
pic 4 is the same inverted being the upper ball joint , you need to remove th ecotter pin & put the spidle in a vice & undo the nut & seperate the ball joint

Rack

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 04, 2007, 02:17:56 AM
the first 2 pix are the caster strut rod , you need a small punch to drive out the roll pin then undo the nut , the other end has a nut on it also
picture 3 you need a pickle fork or a ball joint press toll to separate
pic 4 is the same inverted being the upper ball joint , you need to remove th ecotter pin & put the spidle in a vice & undo the nut & seperate the ball joint

Thanks, Chryco Psycho.

On the first two picks, I removed both nuts (although it looks like I didn't have to remove the lower nut), but it's "Stuck" in there. On the top side (right by the bolt) there's a kind of "Bushing" around it. Do I just force it out? When I put it back together, how will I reinstall the "Bushing" (or whatever it is)?

Rack

Still haven't figured out how to get the strud rod out. It seems like I just have to "force" it out, but I don't know for sure and don't want to damage anything. Both bolts are removed.

mikepmcs

Bob
You might have to tap it out of there.  All those years of sitting, something is gonna get stuck.
Put that WD 40 aside and get some PB BLASTER to loosen stuff up.

This is Mike's(SHAKEY) thread on his front end rebuild.  3 pages of good stuff.  He had the entire thing apart and I bet he can answer the questions in detail for you.  He's very good at explaining things.   I would have to be there to show you.  Hopefully he will see this and assist.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,15396.0.html

Don't forget that upper ball joint threads out of the arm, you can't pound it out.

You are replacing all of the front end parts and bushings anyway, right?  If so, you'll need this parts list as well.  Also, Mike's thread has some part numbers on it too.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,23875.0.html

v/r
Mike

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

ck1

If I remeber right doing mine the strut wont come off tell you drop, take off the lower control arm, there made with a lip in both ends just past the threads so it seats right up agaisnt the lower control arm and the k-frame..................think helps to take off the nut thats on the k-frame first to if I remeber right..............
CJK

Rack

Quote from: mikepmcs on May 06, 2007, 07:41:10 AM
Bob
You might have to tap it out of there.  All those years of sitting, something is gonna get stuck.

This is Mike's(SHAKEY) thread on his front end rebuild.  3 pages of good stuff.  He had the entire thing apart and I bet he can answer the questions in detail for you.  He's very good at explaining things.   I would have to be there to show you.  Hopefully he will see this and assist.

Don't forget that upper ball joint threads out of the arm, you can't pound it out.

You are replacing all of the front end parts and bushings anyway, right?  If so, you'll need this parts list as well.  Also, Mike's thread has some part numbers on it too.

v/r
Mike

Those threads have  A LOT of good info in them. I haven't even finished reading them and I'm already learning a few things.

I really need to learn the terminology of all the parts so it'll help me when I do searches.

Thanks again, Mike.

QuoteIf I remeber right doing mine the strut wont come off tell you drop, take off the lower control arm, there made with a lip in both ends just past the threads so it seats right up agaisnt the lower control arm and the k-frame..................think helps to take off the nut thats on the k-frame first to if I remeber right..............

Thanks, ck1. I haven't finished removing those strut rods yet so this will be helpful.

ck1

Quote from: Rack on May 06, 2007, 01:13:23 PM
Quote from: mikepmcs on May 06, 2007, 07:41:10 AM
Bob

v/r
Mike

Those threads have  A LOT of good info in them. I haven't even finished reading them and I'm already learning a few things.

I really need to learn the terminology of all the parts so it'll help me when I do searches.

Thanks again, Mike.

QuoteIf I remember right doing mine the strut wont come off tell you drop, take off the lower control arm, there made with a lip in both ends just past the threads so it seats right up against the lower control arm and the k-frame..................think helps to take off the nut thats on the k-frame first to if I remember right..............

Thanks, ck1. I haven't finished removing those strut rods yet so this will be helpful.

you might want to keep track of what one is left and what one right, I don't know if it matters but I did, take a close look when there off on the ends, there kind of solid knuckled to fit in on the ends at that angle and you might want to keep track of the way they we on the k-frame and lower control arm, it was kind of hard to get them to go back in just right..........
CJK

MTPOCKET

You need one of these baby's to separate that ball joint from spindle see link  http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38649 and a big ass hammer. :smash:

MTPOCKET

Oh! I have include a motivational picture for you to look at during the removing of ball joint please tape to vehicle while working on it.

mikepmcs

holy crap!!!!!!! i just rushed right out and removed my ball joints and they were brand new.  the pic works uncle bobby...i think it has magical powers. :icon_smile_big:

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

MTPOCKET

chargercraig

Keep your ball joint in pants   :lol: she can loosen my junk anytime :naughty:

Charger_Fan

That's a NICE end zone! :o The trip getting there isn't too bad, either. :icon_smile_big:

Quote from: ck1 on May 06, 2007, 10:28:34 AM
If I remeber right doing mine the strut wont come off tell you drop, take off the lower control arm, there made with a lip in both ends just past the threads so it seats right up agaisnt the lower control arm and the k-frame..................think helps to take off the nut thats on the k-frame first to if I remeber right..............
:iagree: The strut rod is sanwiched between the front mount & the lower control arm...the control arm needs to slide back a ways, to get the strut rod out.
You have to start at the back & work your way forward.
First step...unscrew the vertical bolt (not all the way out, just so it's loose) in the bottom of the control arm, to remove the tension from the torsion bar. Dig out & remove the snap ring holding in the torsion bar at the very rear, slide the torsion bar out rearward (do NOT use vise grips, channel locks, etc. on the torsion bar). Next, unscrew the big nut holding the lower control arm in (the nut faces the front of the car). Once the nut & washer are removed, place a piece of 2x4 against the threaded end (to keep from damaging the threads), then smack it rearward HARD with a hammer. The control arm should slide rearward & the strut rod should be free. :)

I just noticed your last post was a month ago...you probably already have them out, huh? :icon_smile_tongue:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Charger-Bodie

so is the new plan to randomly post pics of smokin hot chics just wherever we can since all of the chic posts have been locked :scratchchin:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Brock Samson

:smilielol: (psssst just don't tell chargerboy or timmy... or troy..)  :slap: