News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Won't spin the tires! Why?

Started by chargers_r_us, April 28, 2007, 06:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargers_r_us

My 73 Charger has a good strong 360 4V engine, and 904 auto tranny. The rear end is most likely just set up with highway gears. She will go plenty fast out on the highway, but I cannot even get a chirp on pavement! Now ,I know that if I want real performance I need better rear end gears, but shouldn't it still give a small burnout in this stock condition? The car originally had a very tired 318, so I installed the 360. It came from an early 80's Dodge van. The 904 tranny came from another Charger! Thanks!

CharlieCharger

Did you ever swap the mild truck cam for something else? What is your gear ratio? These are just some questions most of the fellas will ask you here..More info..Without knowing anything..I can tell you I can burn my tire up real good with a stock 318 2bbl..only thing I added was dual exhaust so without knowing more info..that being said..you should be able too for sure.
Earth. Even the word sounded strange to me now... unfamiliar. How long had I been gone? How long had I been back? Did it matter? I tried to find the rhythm of the world where I used to live. I followed the current. I was silent, attentive, I made a conscious effort to smile, nod, stand, and perform the millions of gestures that constitute life on earth. I studied these gestures until they became reflexes again. But I was haunted by the idea that I remembered her wrong -Solaris

chargers_r_us

I'm sure the gear ratio is for cruising and not good for the burn out, but I would still think it would do some burning out even with a poor rear end gear ratio. NO I did not change the cam. I have a cam I could put into it that is somewhat of a performance cam. Can this be done without taking the engine out? I am not a mechanic, although I have done all the work on my Charger myself! I just asked lots of questions and the Mopar folks were great at helping! It does have a performance torque converter...I don't remember the stall. I will not be able to use the "language" or the numbers of what I have without help finding out what they are! Thanks!

Rocky

Those old 360s only had about 15 more horsepower and 25 more lbft of torque.  If it came from a van it definitely wasn't a performance version.  try a different intake and headers, and like charlie said swap in a cam if that is not enough.

CharlieCharger

Quote from: chargers_r_us on April 28, 2007, 07:45:54 PM
I'm sure the gear ratio is for cruising and not good for the burn out, but I would still think it would do some burning out even with a poor rear end gear ratio. NO I did not change the cam. I have a cam I could put into it that is somewhat of a performance cam. Can this be done without taking the engine out? I am not a mechanic, although I have done all the work on my Charger myself! I just asked lots of questions and the Mopar folks were great at helping! It does have a performance torque converter...I don't remember the stall. I will not be able to use the "language" or the numbers of what I have without help finding out what they are! Thanks!
If it is a stock 318 car and nothing has been done to it..its probably a 8 1/4 2.73 or 2.94 gears most likely 2.73 ..As far as changing your cam with the engine still in the car..I would suggest removing the radiator and if its an A/C car removing any freon so you can loose the Evaporator..but I would recommend removing the engine so you can freshen the motor up a bit, and its just a bit easier to do everything at once.
Earth. Even the word sounded strange to me now... unfamiliar. How long had I been gone? How long had I been back? Did it matter? I tried to find the rhythm of the world where I used to live. I followed the current. I was silent, attentive, I made a conscious effort to smile, nod, stand, and perform the millions of gestures that constitute life on earth. I studied these gestures until they became reflexes again. But I was haunted by the idea that I remembered her wrong -Solaris

CharlieCharger

I failed to mention that I was power braking to burn the tires..but none the less it does it  ;D

deputycrawford

You need more gear for that car. Then go with the Mopar Performance 2500 rpm stall converter. It will turn them with ease. You can also just install a line lock system and probably get them to turn over. You will be happier with the gear and converter though.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

moparguy01

what i find funny is how we get all these younger guys trying to figure out why they cant spin the tires. but at the race track i work at everybody complains that they have too much wheelspin when it spins 1/4 turn.....

what a difference.

deputycrawford

I was thinking the same thing. He described the need to make it do more. I hope he does more and it responds well wtih the new mods.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

chargers_r_us

WOW...I guess you guys must be WAY over the hill since I am just a young guy trying get more out of my car! I am only one year shy of the big 50! You all must be in your 60's., or 70's..and STILL at the track! Just a bit of fun there guys...hope you all take it that way! No, I'm not just a kid wanting to make some noise with my tires. As a matter of fact I will rarely turn the tires when I get the car performing correctly, but I want it to be "able" to perform the way she should perform....and thanks a bunch for all the suggestions! You have been a great help as always! I hope that some of these ideas help my car to perform better!

CharlieCharger

Stick around long enough, and you will find this place is a wealth of information for sure..good luck..keep us updated!! Pictures if you have em too  :icon_smile_big:  :yesnod:

67_Dodge_Charger

The 360 from a van is very low compression.  Is it rebuilt?  You can get some bolt ons that will boost up the hp some but you won't be satisfied until you can fry your tires.  More power....... 

Pull the valve covers and see which heads you have.  That will help with finding which valves you are running on the intake and exhaust.  Once you have this information find a cam, intake and carb setup that will work with the heads.  This will increase tire spin, smoke and the grin on your face.  The crank, rods and block will not handle too much hp and torque increase, but a good cam, intake and carb setup will force more air and fuel through the system. 

good luck

Robert

Chryco Psycho

just installing a 2200 rpm stall converter should cure the problem

chargers_r_us

Here is a pic in answer to the one request, if it comes through! I put a higher stall torque converter on this car. The receipt says professional #12-3CHS, but the stall is not written on the receipt. The serial # TF-A999 Non locking is also on it. I don't know if any of this can help to know the stall or not. Thanks!

chargers_r_us

The torque converter receipt also says Moper SB 360 HIPO. I put this in a few years ago when I changed the tranny, and planned to add the better cam to the car also.

Ghoste

Wow!  I don't have anything to offer on the performance upgrade but I will tell you that is a good looking car. :yesnod:

chargers_r_us

Thanks! I have had this car for about 7 years now! I have done the interior and I'm in the process of improving the drivetrain. I still need to do some bodywork and get it painted. I have also added some cragars to it now! She is Lots of fun!

74Charger

Nice car!!!  Like everyone said a good set of gears and a better stall will get you were you want to be.  Like I have posted in some other post.  I have a rebuilt 440 decent build.  With 2:73 gears and factory stall.  I could not turn the tires either.  I was pulling my hair out.  I thought I the car should at least be able to chirp them.  I changed the gears and installed a higher stall.  It made a huge difference! 

By the way were did you get the front valance on your car?  Is it an aftermarket one?

Tom-
74' Charger
03' 2500 4x4 CTD

CharlieCharger

Quote from: 74Charger on May 03, 2007, 10:48:06 AM
Nice car!!!  Like everyone said a good set of gears and a better stall will get you were you want to be.  Like I have posted in some other post.  I have a rebuilt 440 decent build.  With 2:73 gears and factory stall.  I could not turn the tires either.  I was pulling my hair out.  I thought I the car should at least be able to chirp them.  I changed the gears and installed a higher stall.  It made a huge difference! 

By the way were did you get the front valance on your car?  Is it an aftermarket one?

Tom-

Looks to be a front spoiler from 71 R/T and 72 rallye cars..They make repops.

chargers_r_us

Yes, the front spoiler was bought at Chryslers at Carlisle at the same time as the rear spoiler! I also have an R/T hood on this car, with the slotted insert on the hood. I am not interested in originality. I know the hood is from a 71 or 72 car, but I could care less...it LOOKS GOOD! I am making a driver car that is done the way I want it to be, for me to drive on the road, and with no regard as to how "original" the car is! I know most guys want to build original and that is GREAT if that is what THEY want, but it does not interest me! When we ran these cars out on the road back when I was a teenager, the first thing we did was to add things to them to make them what WE wanted them to look like! So this one will have some "original" stuff on it, but not because I care...just because it looks good! A lot of this car is original just because it has been kept in reasonably good shape! I have done all the work on it myself even changing the tires! I bought a tire machine to do my own work! I have completely restored the interior, I have replaced the engine, tranny, rear end, and more! The next step will be the body! It is a LOT of fun to DRIVE!  Thanks again for all the suggestions to help make the car perform better!