News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help wanted on building a 440 stroker

Started by kokxville, May 03, 2007, 02:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kokxville

Hi Guys,

I have some questions about building my engine.
This is what i got so far:
1970 440 engine 0.030 over ( going to be 540 ci )
4.5 inch stroker cranck with rods and pistons.It did 2 runs on the dragstrip before i got it,and the pistons are a little bit worn.
So what i need is new pistons.The ones i got now are from JE with the #'s:315F / 405062.I can't find anything about these pistons,so i think they are custom made.
Wich pistons,bearings,timing gear,oilpump,cam,heads,intake,etc.do you tech guys advice me to make this a nice street useable engine.
Where should i beware of,and do i need to keep in mind to put this cranck in the 440.
I'm shure i forgot more questions to ask,but any advice is more than welcome. :vert:

Thanks.

Cheers,
John
1969 Charger R/T 4 speed A33 Track Pack.
1967 Dodge a108 360 Magnum. Daily driver
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"

Challenger340

Need more Piston info to get the ball rolling. Part # doesn't work, try supplying a Comp. Distance on the Piston(you'll have to measure it).

The 4.5" stroke Crank probably uses the 2.2" big end journals, it'll be tight by the Oil pickup boss, may even require external oiling, although depending upon who preps the block, they can be done internally by end milling the Oil Pickup hole offset .125" and re-blending.

Things to measure and supply to get advice started;
What kind of rods, Rod length, and big end diameter, pin Diameter
Piston Comp. Distance and style, "flat-top, dome, reverse dome" etc.

Only wimps wear Bowties !

firefighter3931

That's a lot of displacement for a factory block....like Bob said it will most likely require an external pickup for oiling. You will also need a descent flowing aftermarket aluminum head to take advantage of all that extra displacement.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs